GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Project ultimate daily. Build #2

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Wow I thought 42DD was all about quality. At least thats what they advertise as.

I'm unsure of the age of the system as it was on the car when I bought it. Regardless, it wasn't stainless that's for sure, really only see mild steel scale and rust completely throug jj like this one did. Flex pipe had clearly been replaced at one point in its life as well.

I'm also ditching the FK coilovers, I've been very happy with them as a whole and have no real complaints with them. My wife however has what some would call..... a large chest, and the FKs were just too bouncy for her. Picked up a set of H&R street performance coilovers with upgraded rear shock (Koni FSD) to replace the FKs.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Wow I thought 42DD was all about quality. At least thats what they advertise as.

They have a couple of material choices, one of them being stainless, my guess is that he did not have the stainless version which would be best for the climate he is in. I have the less expensive 42DD which is not stainless and it is 4 years old and still is in great shape but I live in SoCal.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
^^^
You probably already know this, but I wouldn't pair those FSD rear shocks with those (low) coilover springs. FSD's only work well with stock or VERY minor drop springs.
Look for some Koni Yellows instead

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Well the 42DD turbo back officially bit the dust. The tips fell off about 2 months ago and a huge section of the catback fell off while my wife was driving home on Thursday. I have to say it was and is my favorite sounding exhaust on these cars but man is it a crap material. Buddy happened to have a full CTS turbo back I picked up for a good deal this morning. Took it for a drive to burn the PB blaster off and it is so quite. One of the most tame turboback I've heard next to the Eurojet. It is more conducive to a daily, just no where near as loud and throaty.

Dang those legs. Guy is wearing mis matched socks... what a dork. :laughabove:

Also Eurojet FTW!

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
^^^
You probably already know this, but I wouldn't pair those FSD rear shocks with those (low) coilover springs. FSD's only work well with stock or VERY minor drop springs.
Look for some Koni Yellows instead

I was going to put the helpers in and run them pretty high (I'm not a slammed kinda guy) so well see how they hold up. I have the H&R rear shocks as well so I can always go back to them. Just trying to get the most comfortable setup I can.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Full suspension refresh this weekend, it's pretty silly when you get excited about maintenance shit lol. Went with TT front strut mounts instead of the ECS heavy duty mounts I have on it now. Hoping they were the cause of my front end noise (I've heard of people having noise issues with them).

Joshohol

Go Kart Champion
Ecs heavy duty on the tiguan with bilstiens with stock springs now. Any time you hit a bump its a hard hit. Getting stock ones for it once the weather gets better

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Ecs heavy duty on the tiguan with bilstiens with stock springs now. Any time you hit a bump its a hard hit. Getting stock ones for it once the weather gets better

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That's why I went TT mounts. Nice compromise between OEM soft and a performance mount.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
H&R coilovers officially done. So I just have to say this, why is it every coilover setup out there is made to be a stanceboi ride hight. Yet again, I've maxed out the rear spring perches and don't have much more to go up front to be maxed there and I'm basically 25" ftg on all 4 corners. Would have much preferred another inch higher than what it's at now but it is what it is. Took it for a long test drive after word to see what's what's. First off, ALL the creaks, pops, clanks, etc that have been plaguing this car are gone. I'm convinced it was a certain component (that was brand new 2k miles ago) that was causing allyou issues but since I replaced everything at once it's hard to pinpoint.

The ride is very "sporty" not quite as comfortable as I was hoping but completely livable. They ride very similar to the FK's they replaced (a little bouncy, slightly harsh impact wise). The way they feel and do that however is a big improvement over the FK's. Still haven't had a chance to test it in the twisted, still have the snow tires on. Hoping they perform better in other areas that the FK's didn't exactly shine. Considering the ride on regular roads is about the same .

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
Just curious, how much adjustment do you have to go lower? 2" or so? I have ultra lows near max height and the ride is not great. Thinking something like this would be better for a daily.

dmfracer

Ready to race!
As I'm sure you know, coilovers are typically for serious track cars and race cars. Though some are ok for street. On my 2000 Porsche 911 I had PSSR9 coilovers and they were great for the street and track.

Which H&R kit do you have? I think for our cheap cars (meaning it's hard to justify a $2000 coil over kit on a $5 or $6,000 dollar car) a plain old strut/shock and spring combo is fine for a street and occasional track day car. I've got the H&R sports and Bilstein B8's on my car and they are fine. If I have 4 people in the car the rear tires occasionally rub (because I'm running 245mm tires, it doesn't do this on the stock size) but otherwise no complaints. Haven't tracked them yet but will start doing that as soon as the tracks here open.

Last edited:

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Just curious, how much adjustment do you have to go lower? 2" or so? I have ultra lows near max height and the ride is not great. Thinking something like this would be better for a daily.

On the FKs or H&Rs? The FKs go crazy low, I mean axle slapping frame low and after my wife drove the car all day yesterday she says the FK'S were by far more comfortable of a ride. The H&R's go very low as well but not as low as the FK'S. At 25"ftg with the H&R's I could easily hit 24" on all 4 corners.