GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Project ultimate daily. Build #2

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
I recently picked up another MKV GTI. 09 UG DSG, when I went to buy it I found some pretty cool little mods :thumbup:

APR TSI K04
APR K04 software
S3 intercooler
Nuespeed TOP
BSH dogbone mount
FK coilovers
New South multitap
And a few other small stuff.

The day I brought her home.

Meeting her older badder sister

Less than 24 hours and I couldn't control myself. I have a pretty decent parts bin to pull from and hated the wheels that were on it. It's a daily so it needed a roof rack as well.

Had some serious missfires issues at anything over 1/2 throttle. I knew what was going on and just happened to have another car with new red top coilpacks. Parts swapping time!

New coilpacks solved that issue! But there were some other gremlins that needed to be addressed. It's on its 4th mechatronics unit, and that one is on its way out. Stopped by the dealership to see a buddy of mine and get some prices on parts and when talking to a service writer about what was going on, was told let's schedule it in for a new trans! So next week going in for new trans, rear main and DMF.

PCV tested ok but that's got to go. So coming up soon is a catch can and addressing the randomly grenade your motor timing chain tensioner. Ill be doing new chain guides, chain, tensioner and timing cover seals the following week. Suspension is in rough shape, it's a daily so i decided to stick with that and picked up some under 1k mile OEM Golf R suspension to slap on it for now on the cheap.

Stay tuned updates to come.

*Running mod list*
APR K04 w/ APR latest revision software
S3 IC (aluminum end tank version)
Nuespeed TOP
BSH TBP
AWE IC piping/hoses
APR boost tap
BSH motor trans and dogbone mount
CTS turbo back exhaust
Forge catch can
EVOMS V FLOW stage 1 intake W/ IE stage 2 intake pipe
GFB DV+
Unitronic DV relocate
R8 coilpacks
H&R street performance coilovers with TTRS top mounts
Porsche Boxter front brakes
TSW Nuerbergring wheels
Dieselgeek Panzer skid plate
Newsouth boost gauge w/OSIR vent pod
Eibach rear sway bar
Meyle heavy duty front endlinks
Meyle heavy duty rear endlinks
Passat control arms
Whiteline ALK
Powerflex street series control arm bushings
Dash shelf
OEM roofrack
Joying Android head unit
Tinted tail lights
Autobrahn hood bra
Custom rear side mount sub

Last edited:

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
I'm super jealous. I can't even afford to build my one car let alone two haha.

Lol, I hear ya. I've created a vehicle juggling act, racecar on hold till daily is fixed up, then racecar gets all the attention. We slowly weeded out all the BS cars we had lying around and now have a newer less broke down fleet.

Don't get the wrong idea, we are broke now lol. But what's the point in working your ass off everyday if you cant enjoy it. We were just talking about this last night, my wife and I were wrenching in the garage and she stops and says, "ya know, from the outside looking in you'd think we have money. People must think we're rich lol". When in reality we are just really smart with how and when we spend money.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Lol, I hear ya. I've created a vehicle juggling act, racecar on hold till daily is fixed up, then racecar gets all the attention. We slowly weeded out all the BS cars we had lying around and now have a newer less broke down fleet.

Don't get the wrong idea, we are broke now lol. But what's the point in working your ass off everyday if you cant enjoy it. We were just talking about this last night, my wife and I were wrenching in the garage and she stops and says, "ya know, from the outside looking in you'd think we have money. People must think we're rich lol". When in reality we are just really smart with how and when we spend money.

For sure. Once my wife and myself pay off our student loans, it's build time. So, that will happen in about 7 years haha.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
This thread shouldn't exist!!! Don't mod it!

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
This thread shouldn't exist!!! Don't mod it!

I'm literally just fixing it up and balancing out whats already done to it. K04 and stock mounts dont jive. Other than that its just maintenance and preventative maintenance.

Nice on the trans...on mech unit 2 and clutches 1 i woulda just warrantied a trans.

Make sure u have the details on how to do the timing chains, or at least someone who knows, its not hard, but not on your first one.

That's exactly what the dealership said. Also why there was practically no questions asked once service history got pulled.

My buddy is the head service writer and ex head tech at the dealership I use from time to time. Said he'd come give me a hand when I service the timing chain. From the diagrams it looks really simple but having never done it I like to be supervised lol.

You just need two special tools, crank hold and cam adjuster valve tool. It's very easy to not time it right and be one tooth off, even after doing a bunch I've done it and even after checking and rechecking. There is room for play if it's off so u don't bend valves.

I've had one blown up tensioner with shredded teeth at 4k miles, then do a timing service on one with 10k miles and the tensioner looked perfect. Shit, I forgot...I needa do one on my wife's tiguan.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
I lube all the hinges at the beginning of every year. Gel lube ftw, until I started that regiment they'd always squeek.

Ahh okay. I'll have to get some - Preference on brand?

I noticed my mk5 squeaking all over but my other car has been okay so far. I'll probably lube both tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk