GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Project racecar. Build #1

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
**Edit**
Figured I'd keep an updated picture at the beginning.

**End edit**

Soooo, a little back story. 1 month before Christmas thought my turbo blew, so as my moto goes, upgrade as it breaks ( the car tells me what my next mod is lol). So I continued my research on turbo upgrades with a renewed vigger.

And bought this for when the GTI is down.

It turns out my CC send line froze and took out my valve cover gasket.

So a $18 repair later the GTI is up and running. However, my turbo is on its last legs and its about time to give the old girl an over haul. Now enter my end decision. Decided Frankenturbo has their shit together and DM has been doing some awesome things as well as being an awesome contributor to this forum. Mad respect to both companies for showing how a tuning/hardware company should be!!!

This is going to be a slow build and pieced together over the next 2 months, but end results should be satisfying :happyanim:

Parts to come and or go on still.

Golf R MAP sensor (have)
IE rods (have)
JE pistons (have)
ARP hardware (have)
Supertech intake and exhaust valves (have)
IE valve springs and hardware
HPA intake manifold
BT (endecided between a Garrett GTX or BW EFR)
USP/Audi TTS lpfp
S3 injectors (have)
RS4 FRV (have)
ECS tuning carbon fiber fender flares
Carbon fiber hood and hatch
Chassis braces
TTRS master cylinder (have)
Tyrol sport master cylinder brace
Full DPI water meth setup (have part of)
Sunroof delete (have)
Probably a ton of stuff I forgot about

You can see in my sig what I already have done, so now the supporting hardware starts going on. First up is the APR hpfp, found a killer deal and a good guy on in the classifieds and pulled the trigger. Doing a swap from Illinois to California (thank god I have the truck lol). Waiting for the new pump to come in, the long 8 day wait begins.

As she sits now, waiting for the pump

Was time to do the follower anyway lol.

Good by pump, you have done well and served your owner very well!! (stage 2 not one fuel cut)

I will keep this updated as I move along, SPM intercooler comes in 2 weeks!! DM Stage 2+ shortly after. So stoked! If anyone out there has some words of wisdom ( I'm looking at you Bunnspeed, Eurocars, RedSpade, Freshpots, Brokenparts, Vegas, you know who you are)

Like I said, will be slow due to my money tree only growing lemons, seriously if I had as much money as lemonade.... uhhhh.

*Running mod list*

Engine/Trans

Custom Dyno tune w/Mobile one inc
IE HPFP
S3 injectors
RS4 FPRV
HPA K04
HPA intake manifold
Golf R 3 bar map sensor
Custom (TCR) DPI water meth W/ TBP nozzle
Billy Boat downpipe W/custom catback
Evoms intake
Evoms heatshield
Eurojet valve cover
SPM motor and trans mounts
BSH dog bone mount
Fluidampr pulley
Red top coils
NGK BKR7EIX plugs
Custom catch can
GFB DV+
SPM intercooler
BSH throttle body pipe
Samco IC hoses
Eurojet coolant hoses
MFactory LSD
Battery relocate (in the hatch)

Suspension/Chassis
Eibach Multi Pro R2 coilovers W/ TTRS top mounts
TTRS front spindles
TTRS front control arms
Powerflex black series control arm bushings
Powerflex Black series ALK
Tiguan/CC Rline rear spindles
Megan Racing rear upper adjustable control arms
Megan Racing rear lower toe bars
All Powerflex black series front bushings
All Aurora Spherical bearing rear bushings
SPM front and rear sway bars
Whiteline front and rear end links
Whiteline bumpsteer kit (Hyme jointo tie rods)
Whiteline steering rack bushing
Tyrol sport front and rear dead set kit
KMD front chassis/subframe brace
Stern rear chassis brace

Brakes/Wheels
Stoptech ST40 BBK front
Golf R/R32 rear brakes
Front and rear stainless braided brake lines
Carbotech XP12 front pads
Hawk DTC-60 rear pads
Rota Grid 17X9.5 et35 wheels
Maxxis RC-1 tires 275/40//17
20mm front and rear spacers
ECS lug studs conversion w/ 1320 steel race lug nuts
Custom (TCR) front brake ducts
Castrol SRF brake fluid

Interior
Auto power 4 point cage
Partially stripped interior
Airbags, radio, speakers removed
Full Halon fire suppression system (engine bay and cabin)
Master kill switch
Recaro Hans 2 driver seat W/ Sparco 6pt harness
Custom driver seat back brace
Xuji Alcantara steering wheel wrap
Custom diamond plate floor mats
Podi boost gauge and column pod
VEI wide band AFR gauge and intake temp gauge
Bosch oil pressure gauge
Cooling mist progressive W/M controller
Newsouth triple gauge pod
Custom sub/auxiliary system switch panel
Radio delete plate
Racepak lap timer
Simpson race net
Wide angle race mirror

Exterior
Blind spot driver and passenger side mirrors
Evoms carbon fiber mirror housings
Evoms carbon fiber grill
Seibon carbon fiber doors
Seibon carbon fiber rear lower valance
ECS carbon fiber flares
Siebon carbon fiber hood
Helix black cherry tail lights
Maxton front race splitter
BYC wing
Custom TCR side splitters
Custom TCR canards
Custom TCR sunroof delete
Open fog grills
Lots of stickers

It should be noted, I originally did not plan on turning this into a full fledged race car, but things have a funny way of working out. Not sure at what point I just went full retard and said screw it, but I did and there's no going back now. When you are this far down the "rabbit" hole it just makes more sense to keep digging.

Last edited:

goneD4rk

Banned
how do you know your Turbo is dying? :yikes:

Soooo, a little back story. 1 month before Christmas thought my turbo blew, so as Mt tu.into moto goes, upgrade as is breaks ( the car tells me what my next mod is lol). So I continued my research on turbo upgrades with a renewed vigger.

And bought this for when the GTI is down.

It turns out my CC send line froze and took out my valve cover gasket.

So a $18 repair later the GTI is up and running. However, my turbo is on its last legs and its about time to give the old girl an over haul. Now enter my end decision. Decided Frankenturbo has their shit together and DM has been doing some awesome things as well as being an awesome contributor to this forum. Mad respect to both companies for showing how a tuning/hardware company should be!!!

This is going to be a slow build and pieced together over the next 2 months, but end results should be satisfying :happyanim:

Parts to come.
IE rods and pistons
IE valve cover
ARP hardware
HPA intake manifold
Frankenturbo F23T
Snow performance stage 3 w/m kit (dual nozzle)
SPM intercooler
APR HPFP
DM tune (trans and engine)
RS4 injectors
RS4 FRV
Peloquin LSD
BSH throttle body
Probably a ton of stuff I forgot about

You can see in my sig what I already have done, so now the supporting hardware starts going on. First up is the APR hpfp, found a killer deal and a good guy on in the classifieds and pulled the trigger. Doing a swap from Illinois to California (thank god I have the truck lol). Waiting for the new pump to come in, the long 8 day wait begins.

As she sits now, waiting for the pump

Jet08

Ready to race!
Interesting that you opted for RS4 injectors what was the rationale behind that if you don't mind me asking. Very tempted to go Frankenturbo myself but don't want to build the engine.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Change in sound, white smoke, only peaking at 15-17 and holding at 13. And 143,XXX miles of hard driving and track days. Hence why I'm rebuilding the motor (shes a little tired) and if I'm going in that deep there's no way I'm putting oem back in, always upgrade!

I looked at S3's APR modified S3's and RS4's. For me it came down to simple mechanics mind. RS4's will allow for a lower duty cycle and higher flow which translates to less wear and a system that doesn't have to work as hard.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
A little update.

APR HPFP went in this weekend. Even on the stage 2 tune I could feel the difference.

Got the APR stage 2+ flash as well. Only $50 and until I get my DM tune rolling I wanted to take advantage of the new pump. APR has been very good to me and their tune has been 100% problem free since day 1. That being said, I cant wait for my DM tune :)

Tutti57

Ready to race!
Was it shown that bigger injectors are worth it on the ft DM set up?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
From what I have read, it does seam like they can get better numbers with the RS4's but I could be wrong. I still have to get in touch with Bronson and make sure he can work with the hardware I'm installing, and set up a tune that will take full advantage of it. Been buidling and researching this car and tunes for years now and pretty much just went with what I have seen the best feedback from users and gains from logs/dynos. Hopefully DM can chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: I'm attempting to see what the real life limits are to the F23T, haven't seen one really pushed yet :)

Car(s)
Subaru
From what I have read, it does seam like they can get better numbers with the RS4's but I could be wrong. I still have to get in touch with Bronson and make sure he can work with the hardware I'm installing, and set up a tune that will take full advantage of it. Been buidling and researching this car and tunes for years now and pretty much just went with what I have seen the best feedback from users and gains from logs/dynos. Hopefully DM can chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: I'm attempting to see what the real life limits are to the F23T, haven't seen one really pushed yet :)

dm doesnt usually tune for rs4 injectors btw. im sure they will work something out, but they like s3 injectors cause theyre better. as for not taking full advantage of the f23t, someone with a built fsi ran it and pushed it to about 375whp. the back pressure on them are too great to really go too far. you can have the exhaust side ported and polished, try running the dm 3.5" dp and see how that goes, but unless you have a built motor, i wouldnt push it past 350whp. its not like a bt where you can run less boost and hit higher numbers, this thing will push boost cause its still a small turbo like a k03 and k04.

when you planning on throwing das turbo in?

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I know they have been using S3's but RS4's do have a higher flow rate and higher pressure. If you look at my first post, I am building the motor, and doing w/m injection as well. I have to talk to Bronson and figure out if ive calculated the gains of the RS4's over the S3's correctly.

Das turbo should be here in about 2 months, it will be the last thing to go in lol.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I did pull the trigger on the EJ valve cover :) SPM ic and valve cover should both be here in less than 2 weeks :)

Last edited:
Car(s)
Subaru
Yeah I know they have been using S3's but RS4's do have a higher flow rate and higher pressure. If you look at my first post, I am building the motor, and doing w/m injection as well. I have to talk to Bronson and figure out if ive calculated the gains of the RS4's over the S3's correctly.

Das turbo should be here in about 2 months, it will be the last thing to go in lol.

the s3 flows more than enough for these turbos though and the rs4 has a weird spray angle and its injection timing isnt as good as the s3 or oems. i mean, they work and are cheaper, so im all for it. why dont you just run the oems? they wont snap shut from the pressure and the rail pressure being higher doesnt mean less stress on the cf or hpfp, they will be working just as hard regardless. just thinking out loud here

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
I totally hear where you are coming from, however those spray pattern tests were done on a faulted system, = pressure on all 3 injectors at the same time, once you figure in the tune (requesting a higher volume) and actually raise rail pressure, if I'm not mistaken the difference at the injectors would be substantial.

I haven't seen anyone run the RS4's with a DM F23T and want to see if there are gains to be had. Simple mechanics dictates they are not working less but you arent pushing them as hard (using 70 out of 100% instead of 100 out of 100% of its potential.) I'm being a guinea pig for those who come later lol. If DM comes back and says its pointless ill go S3, but if there is a cheaper more efficient route to go, the people have a right to know. There's a reason the BT guys use RS4's instead of S3's.

steveo17

Frankenbuilt
Car(s)
2006 CW GTI
I totally hear where you are coming from, however those spray pattern tests were done on a faulted system, = pressure on all 3 injectors at the same time, once you figure in the tune (requesting a higher volume) and actually raise rail pressure, if I'm not mistaken the difference at the injectors would be substantial.

I haven't seen anyone run the RS4's with a DM F23T and want to see if there are gains to be had. Simple mechanics dictates they are not working less but you arent pushing them as hard (using 70 out of 100% instead of 100 out of 100% of its potential.) I'm being a guinea pig for those who come later lol. If DM comes back and says its pointless ill go S3, but if there is a cheaper more efficient route to go, the people have a right to know. There's a reason the BT guys use RS4's instead of S3's.

I understand what you're saying here but you can run a f23 or k04 on stock injectors with dm software.

Sounds like you're going all out here which is awesome because we might be able to see the full full potential of this turbo then! I was talking to force fed engineering in long island and they said Even with a built motor the car runs out of fuel on stock injectors and lpfp.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
I understand what you're saying here but you can run a f23 or k04 on stock injectors with dm software.

Sounds like you're going all out here which is awesome because we might be able to see the full full potential of this turbo then! I was talking to force fed engineering in long island and they said Even with a built motor the car runs out of fuel on stock injectors and lpfp.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

Exactly! I really didn't think too much about the lpfp..... might have to get in touch with bunnspeed about that one, he is the unofficial lpfp master lol. Unfortunately this build got slowed down a bit, due to the lady buying a 90 Mercedes 300E that needs a ton of work :23:. But parts are still slowly coming in :headbang: