GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jay's Mk5 Rabbit Beater/Daily - That I Said I Wasn't Going To Mod. Yeah Right.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
So I have a mk6 GTI project car that is basically getting retired from daily use and primarily used for a track/weekend warrior car.

I picked up a mk5 manual rabbit with 100k miles to drive around as a daily. It's pretty base but I've already done some things to it and planning on some more. A rabbit was perfect for me being that I have a bunch of brand new mk6 GTI parts sitting in boxes in my garage that will swap over to this rabbit nicely.

My friend Carson (Das Gespenst on here) gave me some goodies right off the bat. Some R32 tail lights, and the oem radio from a mk5 gti.

I bought a clutch stop for $10 to reduce the pedal travel.

The plan was to swap the GTI brakes that I have, and suspension onto the rabbit.

I did some maintenance right away. Changed the oil, cabin filter and ordered a fuel filter.

Also coming from a track prepped GTI, the shifts in the rabbit felt sloppy so decided I need to upgrade the mounts. I bought a Eurojet Engine Mount and will be installing that this weekend. Will pair that with a 70a trans mount bushing from BFI and seeking a HPA puck dogbone mount.

After that, just want a eurojet cbe and will probably call it a day.

Oh after ditching the wheels and putting my neuspeed rse52's on it :iono:

(I'm really trying to not mod this car because I don't want it to be another money pit)

Mods:

R32 Tail Lights
GTI Radio
Clutch Stop
Eurojet Engine Mount
APR Intake (came with the car)
R8 Coil Packs
BFI Stage 1 Trans Mount Bushing
OEM Euro Switch
Mk6 GTI Front Brakes
Mk5 GTI Rear Brakes
TR Motorsport MT1 Wheels

Last edited:

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Here's how the car looked when I bought it. And some random pics

Upgraded radio

R32 tails on the right, oem on left

Had the pleasure of rolling over 100k a week after I bought it.

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Never thought I'd see the day (turbo) you had a build thread on golfmkv (this) lol. Welcome to the forum (bitch) brother, now let's get bonkers (now) with this thing!!!

Not sure if you found my secret message or not.

haha I'm not turbo'ing this one. It's destined to carry out it's days being slow.

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Did some maintenance, changed the spark plugs and put r8 coil packs in. The plugs looked to be in pretty bad shape, wouldn't doubt if they were the original plugs that came with the car :( surprisingly though, I didn't feel any difference with the way the car runs. On my gti the first time changing plugs and coils I noticed it running much better. Couldn't tell on the rabbit at all but it's more of a peace of mind thing anyways.

some pics

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Dude those plugs look finew! Coulda run them for at least another 220k bro.

Insanity! Can I come over one night this week and use your dremel for a sec? Need to change the fuel filter but the screw holding the bracket on is rusted out and crumbled as soon as I touched it with the screwdriver.

roejiley

Conveyor Tech
Car(s)
MK7 LGM R
Never heard of a clutch stop until this thread but I did some research and just ordered one, seems popular on the mk6 forum. I hate all that extra pedal travel.

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Never heard of a clutch stop until this thread but I did some research and just ordered one, seems popular on the mk6 forum. I hate all that extra pedal travel.

Yeah for the price you can't beat it. It's something you notice every time you drive. Obviously you get used to it but then when you drive a car that doesn't have one, you really remember how awesome it is.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Good luck with not modding it... LOL

Zach L

VR junkie
Good choice of a daily and nice upgrades so far!

You can get an RCD510 radio and BT module of you want to stream audio and hands free calls. Upgraded to the 2013+ parts a couple years back in my 2006.