Austin_hull

Für Die Liebe Des Autos
Car(s)
MK5 TR GTI REVO// +

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
Transmission is fucked, it has to come out again. Looking into doing a manual swap if the auto is broken beyond repair. I have a friends car taking up all my garage space until his parts come in friday so I wont be able to start on it until this weekend. Manual swap is only $300 (not a typo) for all parts shipped to my door. The clutch I would likely have to buy is more expensive than the trans and all accessories to make it go :bellyroll:

Austin_hull

Für Die Liebe Des Autos
Car(s)
MK5 TR GTI REVO// +
Transmission is fucked, it has to come out again. Looking into doing a manual swap if the auto is broken beyond repair. I have a friends car taking up all my garage space until his parts come in friday so I wont be able to start on it until this weekend. Manual swap is only $300 (not a typo) for all parts shipped to my door. The clutch I would likely have to buy is more expensive than the trans and all accessories to make it go :bellyroll:

Wow...that's really inexpensive...

Do you want a manual in your daily though? Don't you have a long ass commute? It's been awhile since I've lived in the midwest, so maybe traffic out there isn't bad, but here in VA, the traffic sucks ass, no matter what time of day it is. Call me a bitch, but there are times when I miss my DSG...

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
Wow...that's really inexpensive...

Do you want a manual in your daily though? Don't you have a long ass commute? It's been awhile since I've lived in the midwest, so maybe traffic out there isn't bad, but here in VA, the traffic sucks ass, no matter what time of day it is. Call me a bitch, but there are times when I miss my DSG...

Its Indiana so theres really no traffic. Basically stick it in 5th on the highway and let it sit until I get off the highway. About 35 of my 45 mile commute = constant speed and no shifting

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion

That sucks. Any idea whats wrong with the autobox? You drove it home fine i thought? :iono:

We DID talk about how cheap it'd be to swap months ago. The 5 speeds hold so much more power, and are so cheap. Hardest part is changing the pedals.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
That sucks. Any idea whats wrong with the autobox? You drove it home fine i thought? :iono:

We DID talk about how cheap it'd be to swap months ago. The 5 speeds hold so much more power, and are so cheap. Hardest part is changing the pedals.

How does the stock clutch stand up to lots of miles and tuning? I'm currently considering a specific 2006 9-5 wagon 5M with 86k on the clock (I tagged you and eurocars on FB to check it out online). Hoping I'd be able to get away with a tune without having to change the clutch right away.

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
Everything about this car sounds amazing. Who knew a Saab wagon would be so easy and cheap to work on.
They're awesome. With the stock TD04 you can make power like a K04 GTI with a tune thats <1/3 the cost of an APR tune. Wouldn't say they're easy though they can be a bit weird how they're put together. Eric just makes it look easy.

How does the stock clutch stand up to lots of miles and tuning? I'm currently considering a specific 2006 9-5 wagon 5M with 86k on the clock (I tagged you and eurocars on FB to check it out online). Hoping I'd be able to get away with a tune without having to change the clutch right away.

I had to change my clutch when I bought the car, but I just have an OE replacement exedy. Mine is jzw "stage 3" but stock turbo still but pretty squeezing every bit of power out of it possible and most of the time its fine. I do sometimes get a little slippage when its real cold and i get down on it in 5th.

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
So, I have come to find out that all of the parts I bought shown above ^ will not fit my 9-5. Apparently a 1999 9-3 and 2000 9-5 are completely different in terms of transmissions, linkages, clutches, etc (thank you GM...GM bought saab in 2000). Figured they would be the same so I took a gamble at the salvage yard and lost

I've bought most of the parts that will fit from online salvage yards so now i'm just waiting on them to come in. Going to pick up the trans and linkage tomorrow. So far I have collected:

Master to slave line: $62 (bought a braided stainless aftermarket one, OE was $110)
Flywheel: $40
Clutch/PP/Slave: $295 new
Trans/linkage: $265, has 97k miles on it
Clutch pedal: $45
Clutch master: $30

So far the parts total comes to $737. I still need to buy the manual trans mounts and the shifter/surrounding trim but I don't expect it to be too expensive. I'll post progress pics as parts arrive

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
Well fuck.

May have ended up ok, found one in St Paul MN for $75 less. My dad travels alot for work so I called him up to see when he would be up there next. Turns out he's going to be there early next week then hes driving down to indy a week after that so I get free delivery on a trans that costs almost $100 less than the other one