GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The slipping clutch thread.

bz_2.0T

Ready to race!
Bad: This slipping clutch issue has just arrived at 49K highway miles with GIAC 93 Oct program. Lower RPM in 3rd-6th produse a slip when boost spools hard........ and then clutch catches. This clutch has never been abused, slipping at this mileage is unacceptable. Clutch pedal also loses resistance from time to time. Once in a while has to be lifted to its upright position. The clutch is an obvious week point in this car.

Worse: VW wants me to authorize 7 hrs of labor to address pulling the clutch out. If its not worn out of spec they'll pay. Anything else and I'll pay. VW service has been the worst I've ever seen. Although in my mind I'm sure the clutch cant be worn I'm afraid of the B.S. they'll come at me with. I'm not going on the hook for their outrageous charges........

Has anyone else been given this ultimatum by VW? This is a make it or break it moment for my future with VW.

id stay away, either way they're bound to blame it on you. tell VW to shove it

UberJAY

Go Kart Champion
great thread. mine is slipping occasionally in 4-6th and im at 28K in an 08 fsi. fuckin blows man..it makes me so mad/sad when i feel slip.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
Wow, makes me glad I didn't mod the engine.
2006 FSI stock drivetrain, original clutch - 100,000 miles - no clutch slip. :wink:

MKV808

Ready to race!
I still do not know how a slipping clutch "feels" like? Lets say I'm in 3rd gear and WOT and my car "jerks" around 3.5-4.5k for a quick second then picks up again, is that some sort of slippage? Cause that is the only thing I can think of lol

pitbull592

Go Kart Champion
I guess it's luck of the draw when it comes to clutches. I replaced mine with a sb stage 3 at 40k, but my stocker was still fine. I have a friend with close to 100k on his odometer has been K04 since 20k, and his stock clutch is 100%. On the opposite spectrum, I know of locals who's stock clutch dies half way through warranty. Weird? I wonder how much is driver error:iono:

drevaen2

formerly Motulcanada
Car(s)
2007 GTI
I still do not know how a slipping clutch "feels" like? Lets say I'm in 3rd gear and WOT and my car "jerks" around 3.5-4.5k for a quick second then picks up again, is that some sort of slippage? Cause that is the only thing I can think of lol

This sound more like a fuel stavation issue. Time for a FP upgrade.:wink:

Clutch/VW Stealership

id stay away, either way they're bound to blame it on you. tell VW to shove it

You're so right. If I cant trust them with basic service then clutch issues are out of the question. They'll stick it to me for sure. I don't regret the GIAC program for 1 second, the GTI simply doesnt come alive without it. Clutch still holds fine if you rev it to redline through the gears........and holds 2nd (my fav) like a wheel spinning roll on champ. 50 degree air in FL has the boost strong as ever, 3-6 just cant get the hold they need at full spool and low rpm.

I'm interested to know if anyone has authorized VW to look at the clutch and what the results were......

UberJAY

Go Kart Champion
hoe reliable are these South bend clutches. anyone with a shit load of miles on theirs?

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Hey guys,

For starters, I have 26k, 6spd, FSI, 08 GTI, REVO Stage 1, and my clutch is starting to slip under heavy load in 3/4th gear.

That's what gears are for. Use them. Downshift to pass, even on the highway. I'm not trying to be an ass, but I had the same exact issue as you at 25k miles with APR Stg 2. Only in the cold though.

With APR stock mode, it wouldn't slip even in high load. But 18-20 lbs at low rpm is enough to make it slip in the cold. If the tires can't spin, something else is going to give. That something else is the clutch.

What's interesting is I'm at 59k now on the same clutch. I avoid heavy loads (low rpm, high boost) all the time and in the winter, I take it easy and let the car warm up for at least 20 minutes of driving before I drive real hard. I guess I've preserved my clutch for 35k now because it has not showed any slipping signs in the warm weather (above 30-35*F) and I autox, drag race, and generally beat the hell out of my car all the time.

Before I had Stg 2, I would always go WOT in 6th gear and obviously hit 12-13lbs of boost. I'm sure that didn't help when I got Stg 2. FWIW, I got Stg 2 at 20k. I have at least 30 passes at the drag strip.

I hope this helps some of you guys out. Just because the clutch is starting to slip doesn't mean it's the end of it's life. I was freaking out when it first happened to me, but 35k miles later, I'm still on the same clutch and that was with a Tail of the Dragon beating (probably harder than a day of autox the way I was driving it), at least 140 runs at autox (2 seasons), and the aforementioned drag racing.

You don't see many automatic cars holding gears at WOT do you? Downshifting helps.:smile:

Speaking of clutches, I am going to need one pretty soon, but again, it's seen it's fair share of mileage and abuse from me. The pedal feels like it shouldn't grab at all haha.

Tempted2Speed

is cooler than you
Car(s)
2007 GTI CW 6MT
My questions is, will the South Bend STG 2 clutch last longer?

Im not planning on doing any performance mods to my car, but if my clutch starts slipping and I need to change it I would liek to know whether to go OEM or no.

EDIT: g60 I feel for your car man, lol

suberix

somewhere near Barstow
I've hated the clutch on my car since day 1. Clutch travel is way too long and acts like a bitch whenever the AC is on. :iono:

GtiDontLie

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti mkv
Wow, makes me glad I didn't mod the engine.
2006 FSI stock drivetrain, original clutch - 100,000 miles - no clutch slip. :wink:
now that's what i am praying for. 53k, no mods, and no problem so far. fingers crossed. it does seem like 06 was a good year though? maybe its just me.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
... it does seem like 06 was a good year though? maybe its just me.

For manual transmissions, maybe.
Not so much with other drivetrain issues like hpfp / cam follower, AC compressor failures, etc.
Not to mention the numerous airbags malfunctions ...
Don't get me wrong, I love all the little detail extras the 2006 includes,
but it is not without its price.
All these anomolies managed to begin occurring for me after the 50k warranty expired.:rolleyes:

BTW I am fairly easy on clutches.
My Mk IV 1.8t original clutch was still going strong when I sold it at 150,000 mi.