GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The slipping clutch thread.

GodSquadMandrake

Radioactive Rotary Rocket
^
I don`t think it's as simple as swapping some parts. I've done it on some older cars, but I would never think of attempting that on a MKV.

GodSquadMandrake

Radioactive Rotary Rocket
^
Because longevity. If you drive it properly, that kevlar clutch disc will last a very long time. It's extremely durable, but doesn't handle heat well. So you can't ever burn it and if you do it will just need replacement because there is no way to fix it if it's burned. It's not like an organic clutch disc.

Also the lightweight flywheel will give you more acceleration and a nice driving experience in general. These were my reasons for the choice. It's an upgrade and it should be the last time I ever have to take the transaxle off which is a PITA.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
I have the same problem. I recently went stg 2 and I slip in 4th, 5th, and 6th if i'm WOT. Right now its not an issue because I don't pull in those gears. I backed my car down to the 91 octane map and it has seemed to help.

Same here. My clutch started slipping at 25k in 5th and 6th gear, in the cold. My car now has 88k on the same clutch, same APR Stg 2 tune. I just avoided those low rpm/high gear pulls.

If you dont do a lot of pulls in high gears it will probabily never slip :)

Exactly. It's the way you drive your car. I'm not sure why your clutch slips, but you even said it's holding up better with the warmer weather. That's how mine has been.

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
Hm. I've complained about my car a lot over the years, but the clutch is the one thing I have never had complaints about. I don't drive like a nancy, but I guess I just don't trash it like some others?

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Hm. I've complained about my car a lot over the years, but the clutch is the one thing I have never had complaints about. I don't drive like a nancy, but I guess I just don't trash it like some others?

Yeah, I'll be honest. I don't really complain about it slipping, just how it engages and feels, and that's mostly due to the dual mass flywheel design. My car has seen a lot of abuse in 88k miles...at least 130 drag strip passes, 3 years of autox launches, and spirited driving. Quite frankly, I'm surprised it still holds in the warm weather, but I do rev match my downshifts and don't rest my foot on the pedal.

vath

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
WTF are you doing in 6th gear at 20 mph? That's absurd.... Don't do that!

Epic bump... Love this response.

Seriously though... I was at 58k miles and slippage on APR stage2... Then complete Clutchmasters FX250 single mass steel flywheel/clutch install. Now at 88k miles and I'm slipping again after normal daily commute non-abusive driving. Maybe I just don't know how to drive a stick shift but I think I'm getting the short end of the "stick" with this setup. Any advice for me outside of just getting a new Audi under warranty?

Clutchmasters offered a 25% discount on any replacement product, but why would I go with that only getting 30k miles out of the first FX250 set up?

:iono:

PS: my car also needs tires, shocks/struts, and an alignment. I've been without a car payment for about 6 months and I'm liking the extra coins in my purse.

also I have been getting this metal to metal slap sound after being letting the clutch pedal back up every once in a while while reversing. Could that be a pressure plate spring sound or dampening spring sound?

J-Fly

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Audi TTS
My clutch failed at about 60K. Since I'm APR stage 1, I replaced it with a DXD Stage 2 Daily Clutch and Flywheel kit. It only took one week to break in but man was that clutch pedal stiff for about 10 days.

charisk123

Maybe clutch slipping

Hi guys i need your experience for clutch slipping. I drive on highway with 6th gear 120km/h 3000rpms. Press full throttle. rpms go up nicely until 4000rpm then go back 3900 and right back 4000 and then everything ok until i depress pedal.
I do not know if this is called clutch slipping. Spend hours of logging and testing with no other problems.

Have a stage 2 (downpipe, decat, upgraded hpdp ) mk5 Gti 2008 manual.

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
Hi guys i need your experience for clutch slipping. I drive on highway with 6th gear 120km/h 3000rpms. Press full throttle. rpms go up nicely until 4000rpm then go back 3900 and right back 4000 and then everything ok until i depress pedal.
I do not know if this is called clutch slipping. Spend hours of logging and testing with no other problems.

Have a stage 2 (downpipe, decat, upgraded hpdp ) mk5 Gti 2008 manual.

If your RPM's increase but your speed does not than it's clutch slip.

Also I'm assuming you are just testing whether the clutch will slip, because if not I hope you know you shouldn't be going full throttle at low RPM's in sixth.

quicksilver6945

snowbunny
Car(s)
ONLY GTI.....AWD...
correct the solution is in the pressure of oil....the 14 bars for the gti 5 dsg can not everybody succeed to adjust from the house of programmers....i eventually ended up to eurodyne for flashing my dsg and ecu from the moment they succeed to pass the power to the road after 2 years of slipping with my previews tuning house...for the history i had 60 kg tq with hybrid ttrs ko4 and all the time ssp disks kit 600 and cooler,everything from the beginning...so actually yes is the programmer the answer to the slipping and not so much the hardware...just passing on experiences manage it in 1 hour...lol..first time i saw my car going so well even with only dsg flash...that morning was testing them so the the motor was still with the previews programmer...after when i saw the results i was convinced and i say yes flash also the motor...

charisk123

If your RPM's increase but your speed does not than it's clutch slip.

Also I'm assuming you are just testing whether the clutch will slip, because if not I hope you know you shouldn't be going full throttle at low RPM's in sixth.

But this is not exactly my case if you read carefully.... my speed increase.
it doing same thing in 4th (4k rpms) or 5th gear not just 6th. is doing it where engine load is maxed. but only looses 100rpm and then speed rpms increase correctly up. or rephrase.... rpms from 4000 jumps 500up. to 4500rpm and then back to 4200rpm and smoothly until redline. do not feel any powerloss

Last edited: