GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The slipping clutch thread.

Genome

Hippest Teacher. Ever.
Hey guys,

Been doing some researching and it seems like there are more than a handful of us out there with clutches that are slipping. Most mileage that the cars are at with failing clutches seems to be under 30k. I know some TSI clutches are also experiencing some low mileage clutch problems.

This thread is just aimed to see how many people have a slipping clutch and what everyone is doing to fix/resolve the problem.

For starters, I have 26k, 6spd, FSI, 08 GTI, REVO Stage 1, and my clutch is starting to slip under heavy load in 3/4th gear.

Last edited:

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
My remedy was a Stage 4 SB clutch (stock failed at 15,000) - GTI 2008

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI

krayzie089

Ready to race!
Im APR stage 1 with 37k and im slipping, but its not that bad. Im just going to wait until its gets worse then upgrade to a stage 2 clutch kit, which is capable of withstanding around 350 lbs of torque.

FIJIParisi

GO FINS!
Car(s)
'07 BMP GTI 6MT
This is an issue I worry about constantly because this is my first manual car and I dont have the $$$ lying around to replace a clutch anytime soon... but so far so good. 23.5k miles on APR Stage 1 and I can still floor it in 6th at 20mph and get a nice slow climb with no slippage...

vagike

VWoA replaced my dual-mass flywheel at 37000Kms, because it had extremely excessive play. and didn't replace my clutch. Other than that, APR Stage 1, clutch still hold like a rock.

itskv

APR Stage II+
This is my first manual car and I've also read about slipping clutches. How do you know if the clutch is slipping..?

mkhighfive

Ready to race!
Car(s)
gti mkv
yeah i started slipping around 25 thousand i think. i have a stage 2 tsi and i got a southbend stage 3 and its been fine so far.

cicatrizdare

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 JSW SEL
This is an issue I worry about constantly because this is my first manual car and I dont have the $$$ lying around to replace a clutch anytime soon... but so far so good. 23.5k miles on APR Stage 1 and I can still floor it in 6th at 20mph and get a nice slow climb with no slippage...

Flooring it in 6th at a low speed like that is going to make your clutch start slipping a hell of a lot faster.

gotshotgun

Ready to race!

WTF are you doing in 6th gear at 20 mph? That's absurd.... Don't do that!