GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The slipping clutch thread.

Barros VeeDub

uhm... wait what?
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
im just under 34k, and my clutch isnt slipping per say and ive given my car its share of spirited driving. The friction point is a bit diff now since i've had it new. i'm assuming it my throw bearing tho, it has a bit of a rattle at idle. flywheel will prob get some play in the near future because of it. i'm holding off with a stage 2 clutch so i can debate whether to get the Golf R.

edit: i'm stage 1 with ej grenade dv and intake

!!DV!!

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2.0 TDI GT Sport
I'm now on 50,000Km or roughly 31,000Mi and no indication of slip that I can detect. With spirited driving enjoyed most days. With a Speed limit of 100Km/h or 62 Mi/h, I see how quickly I can reach that on most onramps to the motorway.

gotshotgun

Ready to race!
The biggest issues are knowing how to drive a manual correctly and launching the car, launching is obviously going to eat thousands of miles off the clutch each time. And if you do t know how to drive a manual correctly you could be wearing it out daily.

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI
The biggest issues are knowing how to drive a manual correctly and launching the car, launching is obviously going to eat thousands of miles off the clutch each time. And if you do t know how to drive a manual correctly you could be wearing it out daily.

This isn't the issue. There's plenty of us that know how to drive stick. I've never owned anything but standards.. The issue is that the pressure plate doesn't have enough clamping pressure, so the added torque from modding our cars makes the clutch slip. That's all there is to it. Its a known issue. And for the record, I've never launched my car, and mine started slipping at 16k while stage2

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
WTF are you doing in 6th gear at 20 mph? That's absurd.... Don't do that!
Getting great gas mileage, that's what he's doing.
Flooring it in 6th at a low speed like that is going to make your clutch start slipping a hell of a lot faster.
This is fucking ridiculous. At slow speeds in a high gear means he'll be way, way down in the revs. Flooring it at low revs should not put any more stress on the clutch than at any other RPMs. In fact there should be LESS stress as he should be way, way off peak power and therefore putting the least amount of torque through the clutch.

Low speeds in high gear is not bad for the clutch.

Abruptly releasing the clutch while the vehicle is at a stop and while keeping the engine rev'ed up and at or near peak power IS bad for the clutch.

Slater

FaNaTTicK
Car(s)
08 GTI MKV
are roll starts just as bad as launching? because i love to get rolling at 4000 rpms in second so the turbo starts to wine then just gun it and upshift at the peak from there.. also i tend to not manage my throttle right and have a drop in the next gear before i catch ... how bad is that for my clutch... lol, btw still getting used to the car i just bought 4 days ago.. also it seams like everyone on here regrets getting their GTIs , should i be worried about my newly accuired debt? lol are they that unreliable

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI

Slater

FaNaTTicK
Car(s)
08 GTI MKV
where the hell did you get that from? :paddle:

LOl calm down calm down... idk just when ppl tell me "expect for it to break its a VW" Personally i love my VW my wife thinks im completely obsessed and its probably tru.. :fighting0030:

MKV_B00ST

Ready to race!
Car(s)
gti mkv
its because of all the stupid check engine lights and little things that go wrong that make people say that, but i along with tons of other people with their gti's certainly love the car

Bad: This slipping clutch issue has just arrived at 49K highway miles with GIAC 93 Oct program. Lower RPM in 3rd-6th produse a slip when boost spools hard........ and then clutch catches. This clutch has never been abused, slipping at this mileage is unacceptable. Clutch pedal also loses resistance from time to time. Once in a while has to be lifted to its upright position. The clutch is an obvious week point in this car.

Worse: VW wants me to authorize 7 hrs of labor to address pulling the clutch out. If its not worn out of spec they'll pay. Anything else and I'll pay. VW service has been the worst I've ever seen. Although in my mind I'm sure the clutch cant be worn I'm afraid of the B.S. they'll come at me with. I'm not going on the hook for their outrageous charges........

Has anyone else been given this ultimatum by VW? This is a make it or break it moment for my future with VW.

Last edited: