GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Project racecar. Build #1

Joshohol

Go Kart Champion
I dont drive it, it just sits, needs dyno tune. Its just an extra thing I keep around to tinker with. I lose interest quick.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
I dont drive it, it just sits, needs dyno tune. Its just an extra thing I keep around to tinker with. I lose interest quick.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

You sir are crazy! Owns one of the more built GTI's around and doesn't even drive it, wtf dude. Get that dyno tune done and enjoy the freaking car!

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Well, I have a coolant leak. 90% sure it's from one of my new hoses/clamps from when I did all the coolant lines. Bought the VW surge tank adapter for my pressure tester and then popped for the vacuum fill tool. Can now pressure or vacuum the coolant system, will make filling a LOT easier! Still need to swap over the TTRS master cylinder and figure out the front brakes. Not spending any money on her right now since we are flat broke lol. But she's getting close!

On a side note. I put my extra full built manual trans up for sale, if it doesn't sell by winter I'm tempted to do a manual swap and sell off my DSG. I've got everything to do the swap including axles so it would just cost me some hardware, fluid and time.

THMotorsports

Ready to race!
I'm going to go on a limb and say it's probably one of those "quick" connect hoses with the non-serviceable O-rings inside, so if it goes bad you need an entirely new hose? Nothing beats those old school worm clamps IMO :wink: If the hose is new, it's probably still under some sort of parts warranty and you can maybe get it replace for free 99.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
I'm going to go on a limb and say it's probably one of those "quick" connect hoses with the non-serviceable O-rings inside, so if it goes bad you need an entirely new hose? Nothing beats those old school worm clamps IMO :wink: If the hose is new, it's probably still under some sort of parts warranty and you can maybe get it replace for free 99.

Quick connect? My kit didn't have any quick connect fittings. Just pulled old OEM black hoses off and put the sweet red EJ hoses on. (Because under hood eye candy :biggrin:)

In other news, I'll be pulling the 17z front brakes due to the rotor/setup issue. I will eventually come back to this setup once I figure out the issues. For now I'm swapping the R32 brakes over from the daily. Won't cost me a dime and gets the car track ready with a big upgrade from stock. Plus I have 3 sets of track pads for them lol.

Very shortly here I'm pulling the front end apart again to do Passat spindles, whiteline bumpsteer kit, ball joints, bearings/hubs, powerflex black series rear control arm mounts and installing the brake ducts since I'm running the R32 brakes. Should make a big difference, lose 7lbs a corner with spindles and arms. But heavier brakes so that negates 5 of those lbs.

Holding off on the corner balance, I've got it pretty close. Been adjusting every day I've driven it so far lol. Deadset kit tightened up the alignment, it's pretty freaking close for "eye balling" it. First shakedown scheduled for August 14th at Gingerman raceway. Pretty excited to finally get the beast back out. Wife is codriving for her first time, have her ride along for a few sessions with me then ride shotgun for her runs. Definitely trailering there, car is not plated but is insured lol.

Last edited:

alemagno

Passed Driver's Ed
I see some similarities to your efforts. My little track toy:

Biggest difference I kept the engine stock except for down pipe and intake. I am also happy with the stock brakes as long as I use good pads (Carbotech XP10 works for me). In one event the dust boot burned off but I had no brake fading. In general I focus on getting as much track time as possible.
In November the car will be fully caged and build for NASA GTS2.
Here a recent round around Palmer:
https://youtu.be/x3aNbZNBasE

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Have you looked into spherical tie rods at all? I've been thinking about putting a kit together

I have the whiteline bumpsteer kit right now so I haven't given it much thought. Might be intersted but would like some real world feedback before committing. Wonder if you could achieve the same effects as the whiteline kit thay no longer make. Might be a fairly desirable upgrade.