GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Project racecar. Build #1

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
Not a clue! But I am very interested to find out. I'll know exactly what it's tipping the scale at when I bring it in for corner balance. Going to be a little while till I can get that done, it's around $700 for the balance, alignment and setup.

Wow - $700 seems pretty expensive for the corner balance and alignment! If it costs that much each time, I'd consider buying a set of Scales, Smart Strings, Camber Gauge, and Longacre SideSliders. You would have twice as much invested in new stuff, but could probably find a nice set of used scales for half price, or so. Handy for every time you mess with the ride height, move weight around the car, or setup changes - like going with different types of tires. Then all you need is a level spot (assuming you can get under the car to make adjustments - which I suppose is tough without a rack).

Anyway - just a thought.

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
Highly recommend learning to do your own camber / toe alignments, it will save you huge time and money since I predict your car will have many alignments in its future. It's not hard, it doesn't take long once you know how to do it and you really just need string and a square, jackstands and a jack to load the wheel you're aligning. You can even use just your phone + the square to do a camber alignment. Lots of videos on youtube to learn how it's done.

gdub9

Go Full Jeremy Clarkson
Car(s)
08 GTI
For aligning go to Firestone (if you feel comfortable with that) and get a lifetime alignment. One of my buddies brought his 240 down all the time and got it aligned for different events.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
For aligning go to Firestone (if you feel comfortable with that) and get a lifetime alignment. One of my buddies brought his 240 down all the time and got it aligned for different events.

Freaking multi quote is down again!!!

I've done the Firestone route and on a stock car they are ok, but for a car like this where the geometry is waaaay different than stock they have no idea how to do it. Too many adjustments for them to handle.

I could do it myself as flat tire mentioned but the shop I go to does strictly purpose built racecars every day. They know what works and what doesn't and how to properly setup and corner balance a car that's built. I trust them and know a lot of people that use them, I'm paying $700 because I know for a fact it will be done right. That's also for the initial setup, after that it's only $200 for a realignment or setup change (since they have all the numbers on file now). Initial setup includes going over the entire suspension and chassis, multiple runs and dial ins, final torque and mark of all alignment bolts.

No one said motorsports was cheap and I'm not half assing this project, especially knowing my wife is driving it on the track as well.

gdub9

Go Full Jeremy Clarkson
Car(s)
08 GTI
Freaking multi quote is down again!!!

I've done the Firestone route and on a stock car they are ok, but for a car like this where the geometry is waaaay different than stock they have no idea how to do it. Too many adjustments for them to handle.

I could do it myself as flat tire mentioned but the shop I go to does strictly purpose built racecars every day. They know what works and what doesn't and how to properly setup and corner balance a car that's built. I trust them and know a lot of people that use them, I'm paying $700 because I know for a fact it will be done right. That's also for the initial setup, after that it's only $200 for a realignment or setup change (since they have all the numbers on file now). Initial setup includes going over the entire suspension and chassis, multiple runs and dial ins, final torque and mark of all alignment bolts.

No one said motorsports was cheap and I'm not half assing this project, especially knowing my wife is driving it on the track as well.

Like I said, if you feel comfortable. It just depends on the mechanic. My best friend is the one who aligned his car and he never had an issue other than getting his car on the lift. His 240 is a built RB25, rollcage, angle kit, the whole 9. Just depends on who you know and if you feel comfortable letting them work on your car.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Like I said, if you feel comfortable. It just depends on the mechanic. My best friend is the one who aligned his car and he never had an issue other than getting his car on the lift. His 240 is a built RB25, rollcage, angle kit, the whole 9. Just depends on who you know and if you feel comfortable letting them work on your car.

If that were the case for me I'd feel a lot more comfortable. Unfortunately, I don't have a best friend at a Firestone. I appreciate the input and idea though!

gdub9

Go Full Jeremy Clarkson
Car(s)
08 GTI
If that were the case for me I'd feel a lot more comfortable. Unfortunately, I don't have a best friend at a Firestone. I appreciate the input and idea though!

:thumbup: no problem! Hopefully you find someone one day or get a discount lol. Your build is awesome BTW

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Right, the idea is that he doesn't have a rack and if he wants to make an alignment without spending $$$ he can do it himself. Sounds like he's OK paying a shop though.

Oh I'm Hella broke! Don't let this car or both GTI builds fool you lol. That part is just so important I don't want to mess around with it and right now I'd rather get it done right and get it out this season than wait to save money to do a poor job myself.

Joshohol

Go Kart Champion
Im in the same boat. Im not spending another penny on mine. Prolly handing in the plates and taking insurance off it.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk