GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Project racecar. Build #1

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Did you end up taking it to Gingerman? How did she run, any lap times?

Randomly got a refund 3 days before the event. Via email I was informed that they overbooked the event in every class. We had waited to hear back from the guy running it about my wife as a codrivers in novice but they didn't have enough instructors. So we signed up late and I guess we were at the bottom of the list. So we did not get to run at Gingerman :cry:

We are signed up and ready to go for Blackhawk farms in 3 weeks. If that goes well and the car is running well other than some dialing in we are planning on heading to Pittrace the following weekend for a 2 day event. Will more than likely be the only 2 events this year but should be in full swing for next season.

We now have a spare motor, trans, brakes, control arms, etc so even if we have any major problems it shouldn't be a major setback.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Well, since she's been on the street a few times I swapped the other Bride in for the Recaro. The Bride is a MUCH more comfortable seat and my blind spot is no longer hidden behind the halo. Dialed in the water meth and tweaked the suspension a little more. Took it for a "drive" through this industrial park that has a pretty sweet circuit to test on. This was done around 1am and not a soul around. Albeit isn't a track nor do I have lap times (I'll do that next time) holy shit. Car is running great and feels amazing. No issues, handling is ridiculous, turn in is so crisp while mid turn stays consistent and predictable. Able to power out a lot sooner in the turns between the LSD, 245 tires and wider stance.

I actually took off work on Monday and am heading to Autobahn country club for the day. I may or may not get it out on the track but if the option comes up I'm going to jump on it and get some real times down.

I'll be switching back to the Recaro for Monday since it's designed for my Hans device. Crossing my fingers things go in my favor and we see some track time with no issues.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
I think I know a few others going to that track event Monday. If you're on the RE-71R's, keep an eye on tire pressures. I've seen people that say to run them at lower pressure for track use.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
I think I know a few others going to that track event Monday. If you're on the RE-71R's, keep an eye on tire pressures. I've seen people that say to run them at lower pressure for track use.

I'm starting at 30psi. Well ill be going out for 2 sessions today, I'll let you all know how she does!

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Beautiful day for it!

Could be a little cooler lol! First session down, car did great! Still rubbing in the rear, no issues up front. Brought rebound and compression up a couple more clicks, see how that goes for this next session. 24 cars in the group, passed every one of em so far lol.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
So, first day out in almost 3 years. Learned a lot about the new setup, have a lot to tweak but overall car did amazing. Had people coming up to me after each session asking what the hell I have done to it lol.

Tires are officially wasted! Going with another set of RE71R's again, absolutely love these things! Need to get the corner balance bad, tweak suspension a little more and finally bite the bullet on the fender flares. The wider track was unreal, this car was doing things I never thought possible in a FWD car. My suspicions of the benefits of a wider track was realized in every way possible today. Going with 255 instead of 245 this time though, had the front left blow the bead on a rumble strip on the last lap of the last session of the day. The little monster is coming together nicely, just need to finish it up at this point.

TheThreeFitty

The Anti-stance
Car(s)
MKV GTI, 987 Cayman
Great to hear the car is going well and you're finally getting to use it. Also to see my old cage being put to good use.

Were you on North or South course today? Any lap times or videos you took? I was just out there with NASA last month. Been using the crap out of my car, was at Gingerman 2 weekends ago and heading to Mid O this week.

LMK if you want any set up help or next year we should get to a couple of events together. Would be a blast to play with a similar car

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Great to hear the car is going well and you're finally getting to use it. Also to see my old cage being put to good use.

Were you on North or South course today? Any lap times or videos you took? I was just out there with NASA last month. Been using the crap out of my car, was at Gingerman 2 weekends ago and heading to Mid O this week.

LMK if you want any set up help or next year we should get to a couple of events together. Would be a blast to play with a similar car

Tell me about it man, felt so good to get out!

We were on the full course yesterday with both links. No lap times, my racepak lap timer wasn't fully setup yet. Still have a lot to do and not everything is dialed in, just used yesterday as a mechanical shakedown.

Absolutely dude, there's actually 3 of us with fairly setup cars, albeit I'm the only one with a cage, seats, and mostly stripped interior lol. Would be great to hookup, talk shop and get some track time together. Still shooting for one more event this year, maybe 2. Got Blackhawk farms coming up and Gingerman at the end of September.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Well, brought it to Windy City Dubfest yesterday. Won an award for "all go, no show" lol. Judges kept coming up to me saying they are so used to seeing stretched tires, hella camber, shaved engine bays, etc, no one ever brings a full on racecar to these shows lol. I actually got in the top 12 and was going to be featured in a calender, but 2 guys through a hissy fit and bitched their way into the top 12 which bumped me out. So they gave me an award instead lol. Didn't know you could just bitch your way into winning a show, and one of the judges cars got into the top 12. Not exactly the best run show I've ever been to. But my club won largest attendance, so we technically won 2 awards (should have been 3). Not bad for a bunch of track rats that don't do the whole car show scene lol.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
I'd tell them to take their whiny asses out to the track, and if they beat you they can have the top 12.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Hahahaha! Yeah, 210 stretched tires on a 9.5 rim, -18° of camber and bags would do great at the track lol. Im not complaining about getting bumped out of the top 12, the fact that my little dirty beat up racecar even made it in the first place against all these show cars was epic lol. So many salty people that lost to a racecar, even some of the judges came up to me after and told me it was all politics and bullshit lol. More than half the judges voted for it to be best in show lol. Oh well, I'll stick to what I built it for, kicking ass and taking names at the track.