GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

More Clowning Around: R32

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Going to socialize with yours or just hope they get along together? It always seems like a crap shoot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
No socializing this...

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Oil change, bevel box service, rear diff service and haldex service. Hundreds in super special oil later... at least peace of mind for having serviced everything possible. Been driving a lot lately - 4k mi in the last month - so it needs it.

Rear diff filter will not go on properly. [emoji849] After checking alldata apparently it was assembled backwards. Jeebuz. What're the chances of that - the old one fell out so never got a chance to look at it. And the new one wouldn't go in at all. Go figure. Once we realized it was assembled backwards, we flipped it and poof it went in like butter. After wasting 20 minutes.

Car has all new fluids and the only remaining possible maintenance item is the leak in the rear, which has been there for over two years. Hopefully nothing comes up because I have a lot of expensive plans.

On to the projects...

Sister has a mk5 rabbit with around 100k mi in Florida. It's got a ton of rust on it because she never took care of it and rarely drives it. It's interior is in great condition but she needs entirely new suspension as well as an alternator and maybe a battery and fuse box.

I am thinking of using my mk6 GTI suspension takeoffs on her Rabbit - she has a 2.5 automatic and seems like the GTI suspension would fit right in, without too much difference in the spring rates/dampening etc. If anyone knows or has done something like this before, I'd love to hear opinions.

I am thinking of swapping the suspension, fuse box, and battery (maybe) and then seeing where the car is at. She's never had any mechanical problems etc. before and I've personally had a bunch of little things installed like new window switches, shark fin antenna, new brakes all around, etc. Could possibly put my stock GTI brakes on it as well - I have two sets of stock brakes in place, both GTI and R32. Tons of stock parts.

Last edited:

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Oil change, bevel box service, rear diff service and haldex service. Hundreds in super special oil later... at least peace of mind for having serviced everything possible. Been driving a lot lately - 4k mi in the last month - so it needs it.

Rear diff filter will not go on properly. [emoji849] After checking alldata apparently it was assembled backwards. Jeebuz. What're the chances of that - the old one fell out so never got a chance to look at it. And the new one wouldn't go in at all. Go figure. Once we realized it was assembled backwards, we flipped it and poof it went in like butter. After wasting 20 minutes.

Car has all new fluids and the only remaining possible maintenance item is the leak in the rear, which has been there for over two years. Hopefully nothing comes up because I have a lot of expensive plans.

On to the projects...

Sister has a mk5 rabbit with around 100k mi in Florida. It's got a ton of rust on it because she never took care of it and rarely drives it. It's interior is in great condition but she needs entirely new suspension as well as an alternator and maybe a battery and fuse box.

I am thinking of using my mk6 GTI suspension takeoffs on her Rabbit - she has a 2.5 automatic and seems like the GTI suspension would fit right in, without too much difference in the spring rates/dampening etc. If anyone knows or has done something like this before, I'd love to hear opinions.

I am thinking of swapping the suspension, fuse box, and battery (maybe) and then seeing where the car is at. She's never had any mechanical problems etc. before and I've personally had a bunch of little things installed like new window switches, shark fin antenna, new brakes all around, etc. Could possibly put my stock GTI brakes on it as well - I have two sets of stock brakes in place, both GTI and R32. Tons of stock parts.

Literally everything chassis/suspension wise will be a direct swap from the R or MK6. Suspension from your MK6 will be a slight upgrade for her, GTI or R brakes swap right over, huge upgrade for her. Only spot were things won't swap is motor/trans/drivetrain. Well I mean they would, but you'd have to swap everything over....... dude..... R32 swap the Rabbit!!! Jk.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Literally everything chassis/suspension wise will be a direct swap from the R or MK6. Suspension from your MK6 will be a slight upgrade for her, GTI or R brakes swap right over, huge upgrade for her. Only spot were things won't swap is motor/trans/drivetrain. Well I mean they would, but you'd have to swap everything over....... dude..... R32 swap the Rabbit!!! Jk.

I was looking at park numbers and they're all different. You're sure that the takeoffs from my mk6 will bolt straight in for the rabbit? Theoretically that made sense to me, just wasn't sure.

I've seen some people say that mk5 to mk6 is no problem but there are some changes from 6 to 5 that made it not work. It was too vague for me to be of any help though.

The issue is she's in Florida so I would be teeing it up by sending all the parts and then she would have to find a shop to do it for her since I'm in Ohio.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Mk6's in Europe had 50 and 55mm struts up front. But Mk6's in the US only have 55mm front struts and Mk5's have 55mm struts.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
I was looking at park numbers and they're all different. You're sure that the takeoffs from my mk6 will bolt straight in for the rabbit? Theoretically that made sense to me, just wasn't sure.

I've seen some people say that mk5 to mk6 is no problem but there are some changes from 6 to 5 that made it not work. It was too vague for me to be of any help though.

The issue is she's in Florida so I would be teeing it up by sending all the parts and then she would have to find a shop to do it for her since I'm in Ohio.

Yes I'm sure, I've done it lol. Suspension and brakes will be a direct swap. With the brakes you have to swap everything though, dust shields, carrier, caliper and rotor. Both the R and GTI brakes work that way.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Perfecttttt. Thanks for the insights guys. She got quoted over 9k for new everything by a florida dealer and I was thinking to myself that her rabbit isn't even worth half that.

So the plan is to ship her my suspension off the mk6 gti and as much hardware as I can plan for ahead of time. Then she just needs to get it installed.

I will hold off on the brakes in favor of getting her car totally functional.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
My Mk5 R32 is boring and I cannot wait till warmer temperatures are here. Craving some boost.

On the mk6 GTI I got bored and am installing a rear 17z BBK using some brackets from Fabless Manufacturing.

Found some cheap calipers for under $150 on eBay. Full clean and rebuild on those. Spot calipers from Wilwood for the ebrake and Golf R/R32 sized 310mm rotors for the rear. Hopefully installing this week.

From this (just sprayed with brake cleaner)

To this after some scrubbing:

To this after soda blasting and wire wheeling:

All in all, at least ten hours spent cleaning these. Finally to paint:

Rebuild and tossing some high temp Brembo stickers to come. [emoji849]

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
I got a new phone and I needed to be able to charge and use aux at the same time. Since my r32 doesn't have functioning Bluetooth module I got a $20 mpow Bluetooth headset adaptor and it works perfectly. It's plugged into aux with a grounding loop. Cheap solution. Only issue is that if the Bluetooth adaptor runs out of battery I will have to plug it in via USB. Box says it lasts around ten hours. We shall see.

Also spent alllllll day working on the GTI and ended up with this. Test fit, nothing is hooked up yet. Should finish tomorrow. 17z Brembo 4 pot caliper and Wilwood spot caliper on Fabless Manufacturing brackets over a 310mm Golf R rotor.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs

Wookiee prep. Ready to roll!

Trying out these Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s . Got an amazing deal on them and have been seeing some good reviews. We shall see since everyone I know is pretty down on them and Firestone as a tire manufacturer since it's the lower tier of Bridgestone.

They feel great but that could be because I have had winter tires on forever.

Last edited: