GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Project racecar. Build #1

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
I think you will like the slicks and the stiffer sidewalls. Should inspire even more confidence. It made a huge diff on the track with competition slicks for me. No going back to streetable tires on the track once you drive on these.

I hope so, it was the next logical step for tires. I'll see how these work out and decide if I'm going to stick with slicks or not. My wife is still very much a novice so having her run on these is making me a little nervous.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I hope so, it was the next logical step for tires. I'll see how these work out and decide if I'm going to stick with slicks or not. My wife is still very much a novice so having her run on these is making me a little nervous.

I found it much easier to drive the car fast with proper track slicks. It will help novices and experienced drivers alike is my opinion. You will feel the difference on your first outing. Just make sure you warm them up first. You will not want to go back to street tires.

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
Disagree, a novice should not be on slicks. It's easy to get caught out pretty quickly on something like that.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Disagree, a novice should not be on slicks. It's easy to get caught out pretty quickly on something like that.

Always willing to learn, what do you mean by "caught out pretty quickly"?

My experience driving on them, once properly warmed, sure didn't give me that impression. Having said that,I live in a pretty warm climate where it is commonly in the 60's and 70's even in winter and of course even warmer all the other seasons.

Last edited:

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Always willing to learn, what do you mean by "caught out pretty quickly"?

My experience driving on them, once properly warmed, sure didn't give me that impression. Having said that,I live in a pretty warm climate where it is commonly in the 60's and 70's even in winter and of course even warmer all the other seasons.

Slicks are dangerous to novice drivers due to how they let go at the edge of grip. Street tires will give you feedback at the edge of grip before they let go. Whether it be audible or feel there's a "rolling" edge of grip loss when you overwork/overdrive the tire. Slicks on the other hand, have little to no warning when you exceed the grip of them which often ends in a violent and sudden loss of grip. For drivers who haven't driven on the edge of grip on street tires a lot and now how to handle it and when to expect grip to pet go a slick can be very dangerous.

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
Basically exactly what he said. You're much better off learning on smallish decent tires, then stepping up to good wide tires, THEN going to slicks. You'll use the tire like way too much of a crutch if you start on slicks.

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
You've got linear springs on the R2's right? Front and back? What rates are they?

Btw, a lot of your pictures aren't showing up

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
I’ve been looking for a while now. Anyone know where I can find these canards?

Thanks!!

The front canards? They are a custom one off.

Well, we have forward movement again!! Ordering up the last of the 4 corner BBK parts. Pretty excited to finally have the brakes done! Almost done with the aero work, just a few more minor tweaks and it's all done. Gunna run this turbo and motor for one last season (hoping the turbo makes it lol) and just chip away at the motor and BT turbo build to put in next winter. Want to keep my current motor in one piece with everything still on it, contemplating swapping it into my MK1 with new K03 when the built motor finally goes in.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
You've got linear springs on the R2's right? Front and back? What rates are they?

Btw, a lot of your pictures aren't showing up

Yes, linear front and rear springs. I haven't been able to get a straight answer out of Eibach on spring rates however. Whatever they are they are damn near perfect for our platform.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Well, this seems to be the MO of my build, modify one thing and create a problem with something else. It appears the brackets I was planning on using for the rear BBK won't clear the aluminum spindles I have on it. Talking with Eurocars and Creation Motorsports to see if there is a solution (either modify the brackets or spindles). Slowly running out of time to get this all buttoned up, season opener is April 14th. I did finally get the new pistons ordered up for the stoptech fronts, found a local shop that will do the pistons bore hone and assembly for $50 a caliper. Just waiting for the pistons to get here and they said they'll have it done in a day. So at least I got that going for me.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Run steel spindles with the brackets. Big rear calipers > minimal weight savings and 10mm of track width

Ugggg, I kinda need that 10mm of track width though. If I went back to the iron knuckles I'd be looking at new wheels. Pretty hard to find 17x9.5 et0 wheels that are made for racing and not shows lol.