GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

More Clowning Around: R32

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
H&R spacers with the lip showing better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Ordered 10mm spacers on accident. Needed 12mm to clear safely on OEM wheels. Will have to experiment with that this week... When I have time from work.

In other news my rear trailing control arm bushing fell out on the driver's side, so replaced both arms in the rear instead of just the bushing. Had some crazy driving unsettled characteristics which tipped off my shop HS Tuning. Between replacing the bushing and also getting a recheck for wheel balance and an alignment we should have the car settled back down again. Spacers shouldn't really be affecting things as initially considered, which makes sense because they were okay with the OEM Serrons and the VMRs.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Huge bubble in one of the r32 tires. Stock pirellis are worthless. Between two cars with the same tires I've had 3 bubbles in 3 years whereas a dozen ultra high performance tires with less sidewall driven way harder have been fine. Fuck. I just paid so much for bodywork and now tires in the same month. Bout to daily the mk6 screw it

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Never liked my Pirellis. Can't say enough good things about Continental though.
Best tires I've owned.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Never liked my Pirellis. Can't say enough good things about Continental though.
Best tires I've owned.

Hmmm I have a set of DW extremeContacts that I used on the k04 but maybe on the r32 they're better suited. I had them on but the car had some other issues as well.

Mm well at least while I figure out how to stretch my dollars and replace my tires on the r32 unexpectedly the white car is the new daily for a few weeks.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Owning multiple cars is a blessing and a curse.

Current stable.
1983 Chevy k20 monster truck
1983 VW Rabbit convertible (not running project)
1999 Chevy conversion van (for sale)
2006 GTI
2009 GTI
2014 Passat

That's a pretty awesome stable. How do you handle insurance? Storage for all and then active if driving?

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Regarding tires, that's one thing I always loved about extreme performance autox type tires. Super stiff sidewall with higher tire pressure, you'd have to hit something really huge to screw up the tire let alone the wheel. That and the instant steering response. Most can't deal with the noise they generate though or the extra stiff ride. Tradeoffs that are worth it to me.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
That's a pretty awesome stable. How do you handle insurance? Storage for all and then active if driving?

Thank you! Full coverage on the 09 GTI and 14 Passat, liability on the truck, project and track insurance on the 06, and storage on the 83 Rabbit, all done it's about $2400 a year so it's not bad. We have a 4 car garage (half workshop so only 2 cars/Passat and racecar), van at the inlaws, rabbit behind our garage, truck in the driveway. All but the rabbit run right now and we drive everything but the van. I go back and forth between the 09 and truck, she sticks to her Passat and we share the racecar at the track.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Thank you! Full coverage on the 09 GTI and 14 Passat, liability on the truck, project and track insurance on the 06, and storage on the 83 Rabbit, all done it's about $2400 a year so it's not bad. We have a 4 car garage (half workshop so only 2 cars/Passat and racecar), van at the inlaws, rabbit behind our garage, truck in the driveway. All but the rabbit run right now and we drive everything but the van. I go back and forth between the 09 and truck, she sticks to her Passat and we share the racecar at the track.

Gotcha. That's a pretty solid price for all of that.

Regarding tires, that's one thing I always loved about extreme performance autox type tires. Super stiff sidewall with higher tire pressure, you'd have to hit something really huge to screw up the tire let alone the wheel. That and the instant steering response. Most can't deal with the noise they generate though or the extra stiff ride. Tradeoffs that are worth it to me.

That's a good point - stiffer sidewalls to keep things solid. I have solid billet mounts and stuff - noise and nvh don't bother me with these cars hehe.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Same here lol. I have a daily for quiet and smooth riding.

I'm still waffling on what tires to put on the daily. Leaning toward some cheap sumitomos since it's just a daily and they're pretty cheap for the price. If I spend a little more I'd put some Continental DW or hankook v12s maybe. Just cheap normal daily summer tires since I have good winter tires.

Funny enough I'm looking for tires on my car as well. My 06 Rabbit is running on 18" GTI Huff wheels.

The top 3 tires I've been able to narrow it down to:
-Continental ContiExtreme
-Michelin Pilot Sports
-Pirelli P-Zero (Cinturato's have had good reviews too)

Performance aside a quiet tire would be ideal. I've got Yokohamas right now and they're noisy as hell.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
I'm still waffling on what tires to put on the daily. Leaning toward some cheap sumitomos since it's just a daily and they're pretty cheap for the price. If I spend a little more I'd put some Continental DW or hankook v12s maybe. Just cheap normal daily summer tires since I have good winter tires.

Yeah, really depends on what you're after. Honestly, if you don't really drive it too spiritedly around corners, go with a good all season (and believe me, it's weird for me to say that). They last longer, they do better in the rain, they're quieter, and they don't pick up rocks and other debris like summer tires and extreme performance tires do. Long term, that's bad because it equates to rock chips/bare paint. Add in salt during the winter and it's no wonder why clean MkV's are becoming rare.

My GTI is more my fun car now, hence running ZII's. Plus I drive like a dick haha. I love my turns.

Funny enough I'm looking for tires on my car as well. My 06 Rabbit is running on 18" GTI Huff wheels.

The top 3 tires I've been able to narrow it down to:
-Continental ContiExtreme
-Michelin Pilot Sports
-Pirelli P-Zero (Cinturato's have had good reviews too)

Performance aside a quiet tire would be ideal. I've got Yokohamas right now and they're noisy as hell.

The PSS tires are really good. They're actually fairly quiet, wear well, and grip pretty well. The one downside to them is that they have a relatively soft sidewall for a summer tire. But again, if you're just doing normal driving with occasional hard cornering, you'll be okay. Just run the tire pressures a bit higher than what VW specifies. I run about 38-40psi and my door card says to run 35. Now if you're planning to AX, definitely go with an extreme performance tire.

The other thing about tire noise is make sure your alignment is within spec. If the tires are cupped and they've been on your car since day one (i.e. not used tires) and they're cupped, that means a few different things:

1.) Bad alignment
2.) Lack of rotation (I do every 5k)
3.) Tire pressure too high/too low
4.) Worn out shocks/other suspension components
5.) Combination of the above

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Never had a good experience with Pirellis. I will never willing buy a set. 3 bubbles in 3 years on the stock Pirellis in two different golfs. The last being now and why I am looking at new tires even though the other three are oaky right now.

Money not an issue id get more hankook rs3s but obviously that's just lighting cash on fire.

I like continentals DW. PSS is too rich for me but if a great deal came up I'd consider it. I was thinking the summer Sumitomos because cheap and good reviews.

If I do an all season I'd consider DWS or maybe the hankook evos. Totally agree yokohamas aren't stellar on noise but I don't really have an issue with noise, just want performance