GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HPFP kit vs. APR HPFP

MKV727

Go Kart Champion
I always take forums product reviews/feedback with a grain of salt. In general and from what I've noticed, people defend their purchase on the forums regardless of its performance. However, when you go to car shows and meet people in person, they are usually more open and willing to share their actual experience with the product. For some reason internet egos play a big role in masking actual feedback. It's like how the Chevy crowd think Chevy is the best and everything else is garbage, Ford crowd think Ford is the best and everything else is garbage and Mopar crowd think Ford is the best. etc..

Youre not kidding, I have a friend who is obsessed with GM. He owns a 2000 corvette that he feels was made by god himself. Claims its trapping 112mph but only puts 5 cars on my stage 1 GTI from a 40 roll. ABS is shot, headlight motor is gone, interior looks like crap and just general shitty craftsmanship with leaf spring suspension and a pushrod motor. If a car isn't made by GM it's junk in his eyes.

Back on topic though, I don't own either pump therefore I have zero bias. I'm merely comparing the companies who build the HPFP.

Car(s)
Subaru
Youre not kidding, I have a friend who is obsessed with GM. He owns a 2000 corvette that he feels was made by god himself. Claims its trapping 112mph but only puts 5 cars on my stage 1 GTI from a 40 roll. ABS is shot, headlight motor is gone, interior looks like crap and just general shitty craftsmanship with leaf spring suspension and a pushrod motor. If a car isn't made by GM it's junk in his eyes.

Back on topic though, I don't own either pump therefore I have zero bias. I'm merely comparing the companies who build the HPFP.

true. i was a die hard dodge guy, but after branching to new companies, i now think theyre junk. i still have my dodge but its not in the greatest shape and it only has 145k on it. im loving my vw and i will most likely buy an audi or vw again. i think that if a person is happy with the product they got, then they will come back for more.

im not happy with my apr tune and will be changing as soon as i get a bt.

NJdubber

Performance Enthusiast
Car(s)
Audi A3 2.0T FSI
true. i was a die hard dodge guy, but after branching to new companies, i now think theyre junk. i still have my dodge but its not in the greatest shape and it only has 145k on it. im loving my vw and i will most likely buy an audi or vw again. i think that if a person is happy with the product they got, then they will come back for more.

im not happy with my apr tune and will be changing as soon as i get a bt.

curious to know why your not happy with your APR tune? Not an APR employee or fan boy just like to get feedback from others.. :iono:

kidthunder

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 BMP GTI
Sometimes people think the tune is trash when really somthing else is the issue me my self included then i found a boost leak and a bad maf and i like my apr tune again

Car(s)
Subaru
I want to fine tune and apr doesn't allow me to do that. I'd like to see how .dotuning turns out, but till then in leaning on revo. I could go on a boring rant about apr but I won't. Apr is great for basics, but don't try and actually make a car fast on it... They don't support performance addons at apr lol

Alik4041

Habibi!
Car(s)
08 Jetta Wolfsburg
Okay, It is very convenient that whenever somebody disagrees with your views on a tuning company that they simply have not "searched" enough. I mentioned before that I have indeed searched. If I were in your shoes and I wanted to discredit the person I am debating with, I would simply link a thread showing how amazing HPFP upgrade is.

IF we are talking FACTS where did you find that APR's success rate on their products is worse than 2%?

All I'm asking is legitimate questions about their manufacturing process, equipment and facilities and you've yet to come up with something other than I haven't "searched" for it and I have. IF it's so simple to find, link me a photo of their facilities, staff and equipment.

Regarding a 2% fail rate, that's still terrible. Without giving away too much about myself I'm qualified to speak about manufacturing performance parts and mechanical engineering. The larger plants run something called Six Sigma quality control. It's a method developed by motorola in the 80's that is used to ensure quality control. When a local plant Lear Corporation (now outsourced) was developing remote keyless entry and other car parts the entire plant was ran under Six Sigma philosophy.

If a plant making simple keyless remotes and other simple electrical parts for car manufactures are producing equipment at that level, a company producing HPFP that are engine critical should damn well be better than a 2% failure rate. I don't need to "search" for this data, I'm not "ignorant" I am absolutely sure about all of this data.

APR has the equipment, the facility and employees to produce HPFP at the proper level of quality. Now who is HPFP upgrade? I did search, stop trying to throw around my "ignorance" and link me a photo of HPFP upgrade's facilities, employees and equipment and their quality control methods. All I can find is a shipping address and that their products "work" and they "improve upon other companies HPFPs" and yadda yadda. I will gladly admit that I'm wrong if you can prove what you are saying, all I'm seeing is an E-Bully using diversion tactics by claiming I'm "ignorant" and haven't "searched". Please explain why you are qualified to tell me how 2% failure rate is excellent?

I didn't really care until you decided to tell me I haven't "searched" and that I'm ignorant on manufacturing processes and the excellent quality control that 2% is. Give me a break and prove me wrong.

EDIT: HPFP upgrade website claims that 2% failure rate is unacceptable and that they strive to perform better than that... It says nothing about improperly installed HPFP's and unhappy customers but merely that their product doesn't fail 2% of the time. You misinterpreted it when you tried to reexplain the concept incorrectly to me.

Regarding this kind of debate on the forum, I am not trying to start a flame fest. I'm attempting to provide manufacturing data and product comparisons between competitors. My hope that this sort of debate is healthy for the forum and that these posts are not infringing on any forum rules.

EDIT: Want to put this first because I feel it's important:

I do apologize if you took offense to my comments, that wasn't my intention. :smile: I try to share my experiences as much as I can because I had the privilege of working with these companies and I feel like the consumer needs to know the companies as well as the people running those companies a bit more :thumbsup:

/Edit

First things first, I don't care enough about this topic ("debate"?) to continue talking about it. I as well as you have more important things than to convince each other of ours views. I only try to speak from experience from dealing with APR, Unitronic, and Eurodyne as well as the customers of the AUDI & VW MK4,MK5, and MK6 community. After really getting feedback from customers several times after flashing their ECU to installing hardware, I've realized that there are many customers with issues unrelated to the software/hardware who blame the product. This is a perfect example:

Sometimes people think the tune is trash when really somthing else is the issue me my self included then i found a boost leak and a bad maf and i like my apr tune again

Your 2% of key remotes is not the same scenario as the variables are extremely different. Keyless remotes have very few variables to take into consideration compared to a car not running properly. I'm not saying remotes are simple, but compared to this stuff...they are. Gaskets, diverter valves, WMI nozzle placement, boost leaks, intakes, n75, etc. All those can have an effect on the car running properly, especially when tuned. I've seen customers blame every tuner company and USUALLY the tuner company is not at fault. Some companies don't like to treat their dealers right, not to mention their customers. APR is TOP quality service and excellent products, but I've still seen customers skipping calling apr or coming back to the dealer when they have problems. Instead, they start a thread or toss a post about how this software isn't that great or it's slower than a car they theoretically should be able to compete with. There are way too many scenarios as you can imagine which the company is not at fault, but they're forced to issue a refund or worse, be blamed before having the opportunity to examine the situation.

Half my job was pretty much flashing APR, Unitronic, Eurodyne and being on the phone with them 24/7 about hardware, software, etc. Diagnosing customer's cars was definitely a big part of that as well as dealing with customers' POV. I try to speak from experience and not BSing, but when I'm talking to these companies at events and they're being a bit more open to us than the usual customer, you start putting the bigger picture together. When MK6s came out, focus began to slowly shift from MK5. It's the most subtle shift, but compare now and then...it's day and night. What's happened as well though is the development area has began to expand to much more expensive cars. What puts this all together is the pricing. From software to hardware, the pricing sheets are RIDICULOUS! You have no idea how much a dealer profits from an exhaust system to a tune on some of these cars, not to mention the company themselves. These new labor fees for removing ecu's, too good.

I haven't seen pics of the facility, but I can tell you that is not truly what matters (not saying it doesn't at all, but it's $$$). As well as staff, I haven't searched myself. Truth is, I doubt many people here can name 5 people from APR's staff without searching. A lot of this stuff is small in my eyes compared to customer service, quality & reliability of the product, competitive pricing. Customer service, no matter who works for them, they seem to have from the quick responses to customer in need of assistance. I've seen them give refunds quickly with only a few questions to those in need of one. The product reliability seems to be relatively good quality for now, not excellent but relatively good. It lacks a massive customer base and better testing than APR's pump, which more importantly leads to reliability. The pricing is definitely there, so for the most part, that's what you take into consideration.

My laptop is dying :frown:

MKV727

Go Kart Champion
I want to fine tune and apr doesn't allow me to do that. I'd like to see how .dotuning turns out, but till then in leaning on revo. I could go on a boring rant about apr but I won't. Apr is great for basics, but don't try and actually make a car fast on it... They don't support performance addons at apr lol

Yeah, I'm APR stage 1 now with a BB DP and S3 IC awaiting installation then reflash to stage 2. My hope is to do stage 2+ with meth until I can afford a GT28rs. I'm calling APR about the w/m and I'll find out if they are compatible with it. If not I don't know what I'll do I'm not wanting to spend another 600+ for tuning again.

GTi R Enigma

Profitier...
Car(s)
CW 07 GTi 5dr HB
if i switch tunes, Uni is what is on my list.

GTI4John74

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI
if our OEM prv's cracking point is at 120-130 bar and upgrade it to the RS4 valve or HPFPUPGRADE's PRV, will the tune be able to adapt to the upgraded PRV or do most tunes like APR, Uni, GIAC, REVO etc. need to program this area to compliment the HPFP's fuel pressure?

my rail pressure from the above log went to about 135 bar, so far it was able to handle it.

How does this affect the entire fuel distribution overall after upgrading, will we end up running rich because now more fuel is distributed?? :iono:

RRacerguy717

Go Kart Champion
if our OEM prv's cracking point is at 120-130 bar and upgrade it to the RS4 valve or HPFPUPGRADE's PRV, will the tune be able to adapt to the upgraded PRV or do most tunes like APR, Uni, GIAC, REVO etc. need to program this area to compliment the HPFP's fuel pressure?

my rail pressure from the above log went to about 135 bar, so far it was able to handle it.

How does this affect the entire fuel distribution overall after upgrading, will we end up running rich because now more fuel is distributed?? :iono:

Its just a releif / saftey valve just incase the pressure spikes up. If your seeing 135 bar actual pressure then IMO would say your pv valve is dumping off some pressure. Log your HP doing a 3-4 gear pull @ wot till redline. IMO you need 145 valve. The reason is every time the valve dumps pressure it weakens overtime it won't hold its rated pressure. Bob. G.

Nataraki

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'92 BMW 318i
OK, thanks folks for chiming-in all your views. That being said and a few more readings, I think I'm leaning towards the HPFPUpgrade pump. I can't say I'm cheapskate but price is a major factor for me right now. And like what you guys said, the two are the best option we currently have in the market.

HPFPUPGRADE

Banned
I read the first page and didn't go any further.

Here is what I can say.

We are located in a brick and motor building located at:

Here is our address,

3722 Auburn Way N
Suite 208
Auburn WA 98002

The R&D and test equipment is very similar to our competitors. We have several race cars running our fuel pumps in several different classes.

If we are being compared to APR I view that as a compliment, that means we are in good company when it comes to the competitors parts.

I prefer to let the parts and customers speak for the product.

Thanks,

John

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI

Here is what I can say.

Here is our address,

3722 Auburn Way N
Suite 208
Auburn WA 98002

The R&D and test equipment is very similar to our competitors. We have several race cars running our fuel pumps in several different classes.

If we are being compared to APR I view that as a compliment, that means we are in good company when it comes to the competitors parts.

Thanks,

John

Brick and mortar. :thumbsup:

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door

Here is what I can say.

Here is our address,

3722 Auburn Way N
Suite 208
Auburn WA 98002

Thanks,

John

I haven't run the HPFP version of the pump, but I did email HPFP UPGRADE with some questions about their rail valves, and got quick, clear, friendly answers. Great customer service. When I ordered the recommended valve (in my case, their 145 bar one), it came far more quickly than I expected it to, like, in two or three days. I was blown away by their fast service. This is a good company to do business with!

I have had great customer service from APR and their local tuners as well, and currently run their hpfp and software. Both companies seem to place a very high value on providing quality products and premium levels of customer care. :thumbsup:

HPFPUPGRADE

Banned
Brick and mortar. :thumbsup:

:biggrin:, at least I didn't say brick and engine, LOL!

I haven't run the HPFP version of the pump, but I did email HPFP UPGRADE with some questions about their rail valves, and got quick, clear, friendly answers. Great customer service. When I ordered the recommended valve (in my case, their 145 bar one), it came far more quickly than I expected it to, like, in two or three days. I was blown away by their fast service. This is a good company to do business with!

I have had great customer service from APR and their local tuners as well, and currently run their hpfp and software. Both companies seem to place a very high value on providing quality products and premium levels of customer care. :thumbsup:

Thank you for the kind comments. Like I said in my previous post, if we are considered the competition for APR, we are in good company!

Thanks,

John