GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HPFP kit vs. APR HPFP

Nataraki

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'92 BMW 318i
I'm planning to go Stage 2+ this summer, from what I've read so far the APR pump is rock solid built but it's a few hundred bucks more than the HPFP upgrade kit. And because of that I'm leaning towards HPFP kit, or am I better off spending a few more to get the APR?

Car(s)
Subaru
unless the pump is like new and low miles, hpfpupgrade wont rebuild it i believe, but i think apr is a little more loose on this. if your pump still fits in that guideline, then id send it to hpfpupgrade and have them rebuild it.

unless you know what youre doing, i wouldnt rebuild it yourself. a brand new one from hpfpupgrade though is just a little more than a rebuilt apr, so you could go that route too

MKV727

Go Kart Champion
APR developed HPFP's for Volkswagen of America and has more R&D into our motor than any other tuning company, it's a easy choice. HPFP is too critical of a part to trust to a smaller company.

I'm by no means an APR fan boy... Their downpipe, intake and some other equipment are grossly overpriced. Hence why I'm running a Billy Boat downpipe (Rumored manufacturer for APR downpipes) and the neuspeed intake.

When it comes to critical parts (tuning, HPFP, suspension components) I would never recommend anything other than VW or APR.

Who is HPFP upgrades really? Who is their staff and R&D department?

Side note: If their new cam follower is so revolutionary why hasn't APR, VW or BSH not produced hardened and chromed cam followers and sell them for a premium? When HPFP's cam followers hit the market I predict mixed results to say the least.

Car(s)
Subaru
^ i can agree with that to some point, but hpfpupgrade has a 2yr warranty and many people run them on higher hp builds with no problems. they have a good reputation and good support on the forums.

Nataraki

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'92 BMW 318i
unless the pump is like new and low miles, hpfpupgrade wont rebuild it i believe, but i think apr is a little more loose on this. if your pump still fits in that guideline, then id send it to hpfpupgrade and have them rebuild it.

unless you know what youre doing, i wouldnt rebuild it yourself. a brand new one from hpfpupgrade though is just a little more than a rebuilt apr, so you could go that route too

What I meant was the brand new ones that's been built.:thumbsup:

Nataraki

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'92 BMW 318i
APR developed HPFP's for Volkswagen of America and has more R&D into our motor than any other tuning company, it's a easy choice. HPFP is too critical of a part to trust to a smaller company.

I'm by no means an APR fan boy... Their downpipe, intake and some other equipment are grossly overpriced. Hence why I'm running a Billy Boat downpipe (Rumored manufacturer for APR downpipes) and the neuspeed intake.

When it comes to critical parts (tuning, HPFP, suspension components) I would never recommend anything other than VW or APR.

Who is HPFP upgrades really? Who is their staff and R&D department?

Side note: If their new cam follower is so revolutionary why hasn't APR, VW or BSH not produced hardened and chromed cam followers and sell them for a premium? When HPFP's cam followers hit the market I predict mixed results to say the least.

I'd go with APR in a heart beat but since some company named HPFP upgrade is competing with APR with comparable product at lower price, I'm tempted I must say.:iono:

MKV727

Go Kart Champion
I'd go with APR in a heart beat but since some company named HPFP upgrade is competing with APR with comparable product at lower price, I'm tempted I must say.:iono:

With what R&D? Who runs their staff? Did VW approach HPFP upgrade for revised HPFP design? What all is replaced with their HPFP?

I'm not going to bother arguing it anymore, I have no stake in APR. I just wanted to give a fellow Dubber the best guidance I could.

GTi R Enigma

Profitier...
Car(s)
CW 07 GTi 5dr HB
Guidence and preference are 2 different things. I read through what you had to say and your view is very narrow, and unwarrented. Especially coming from a guy that has 74 posts...and you only joined since april. Your opinion I would only take with a grain of sand. Do some research before you speak. Everyones opinions are welcome, but don't go and say that a company is not trust worthy when you dont know anything about them.

HPFPupgrade has a long history with our type of fuel pumps through the mazda community. As for the CF, VW makes more money on us replacing the CF then engineering a new one that would warrent less replacements. Instead they warrenty our CF up to 120k miles cause they know they will fail. HPFPUpgrades cf has gone through a lot of R&D, and they are not rushing to put these out. They are doing their homework and developing a sounds product.

APR does have the track history with their products, but as mentioned they are over priced. I run APR software and have had no issues, but that doesn't mean I have not looked into other options as well.

As for HPFP's standards for rebuilds..well that just goes to show they care about quality and results, not just taking our money and saying good luck.

By no means I am trying to push one more than the other, but if your going to offer your opinion base it off of facts, not fiction.

OP when all is said and done it comes down to what your willing to spend.

APR is a strong brand no doubt about it, but their customer service is hit or miss, not to mention that their software installs can be a major headache at times.
HPFPUgrade is also a solid brand, but new to our community. Their Cust service is second to non and that is important.

Both pumps are a good choice, but it has been shown that HPFPupgrades pump flows more than APRs.

mark920

Ready to race!
I wouldnt use a rebuild kit unless the pump was almost brand new because there isnt a way to test it if you rebuild it on your own, the reason I went with apr over hpfpupgrade is because they test the rebuild, plus it was on sale...

GTi R Enigma

Profitier...
Car(s)
CW 07 GTi 5dr HB
I wouldnt use a rebuild kit unless the pump was almost brand new because there isnt a way to test it if you rebuild it on your own, the reason I went with apr over hpfpupgrade is because they test the rebuild, plus it was on sale...

HPFPUpgrade does the same thing.

mark920

Ready to race!
HPFPUpgrade does the same thing.

I should have clarified, the hpfpupgrade rebuild kit was the same price as the apr rebuild because I purchased it on sale, if I would have purchased the hpfpupgrade rebuild kit for 550 it would not have been tested because I would have rebuilt it myself, for 550 I was able to get apr to rebuild my pump and test it.

GTi R Enigma

Profitier...
Car(s)
CW 07 GTi 5dr HB
I should have clarified, the hpfpupgrade rebuild kit was the same price as the apr rebuild because I purchased it on sale, if I would have purchased the hpfpupgrade rebuild kit for 550 it would not have been tested because I would have rebuilt it myself, for 550 I was able to get apr to rebuild my pump and test it.

thats true, but it also comes down to how secure you are with your mechanical skills as well.

i do know that the seals that HPFP install have been said to be better then APR's. Again it does come down to price. I would still go with the new pump from HPFPupgrade for the reason it comes with a new fuel rail check valve

mark920

Ready to race!
Who exactly is this? "The new pump seal section comes with our Gen X seal (Pat Pend) that keeps the fuel from entering into the oiling system (this is a huge problem with the competitors parts)."

Autotech, KMD, AWE? all of those rebuilds form my understanding require you to reuse your seals, I am pretty sure apr uses new seals