GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tucking my fusebox

Chris@RT

Banned
you actually soldering all the wires together?

yeah. not looking forward to it

Too late now but you NEVER EVER EVER solder on wire extensions or repairs on a car. There very good reasons why just about every auto manufacture and the FAA require wiring repairs to be properly crimped and soldering is not even remotely allowed.

In an environment like a car the heat, stress, vibrations on wires are extremely high and solder joints cannot hold up to them over time. A proper crimp offers less resistance at each junction, is stronger, and resists vibration and tension better than a solder joint.

Extended and connected lines to the 02 sensor,

Especially here, you should really probably cut out those solder connections at the very least and crimp them. Certain sensors are so picky with the resistance that only gold plated connectors should be used, a soldered connection to the front 02 sensor is going to completely throw off its calibration and not allow it to function 100% as it was intended.

Vw/Audi were among the first to basically ban soldering and require the use of crimps for any warranty repairs. If you have a decent crimp tool and the proper connectors a crimped connection is vastly superior to a soldered one.

Most of the wires you extended are simply carrying 12Vs and not sensor signals so you should be fine over all in regards to the resistance issues but I'd be prepared for other issues down the road.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
^ Oh damn, I didn't know that

Good info Chris

Hear that Eric? time to rip the fusebox back out :biggrin:

Jtrem

Pro TeaBagger
Car(s)
'06 Gti
I'm going to have to agree with Chris...for once.

Only time I would say soldering wires on a car is acceptable is for radio components. Most of the time when you buy anything to do with O2 sensor wiring or any other wiring in the engine bay it always says do not use solder.

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
Too late now but you NEVER EVER EVER solder on wire extensions or repairs on a car. There very good reasons why just about every auto manufacture and the FAA require wiring repairs to be properly crimped and soldering is not even remotely allowed.

In an environment like a car the heat, stress, vibrations on wires are extremely high and solder joints cannot hold up to them over time. A proper crimp offers less resistance at each junction, is stronger, and resists vibration and tension better than a solder joint.

i didnt solder extensions to the o2 sensor, just moved where the wires sat

Chris@RT

Banned
i didnt solder extensions to the o2 sensor, just moved where the wires sat

Just read and quoted what you wrote was that you did and was letting you know that it was a bad idea. If you didn't then great nothing to worry about with the 02 sensor.

The rest of it though, in all seriousness NEVER SOLDER wires in a car. This is a 20K plus vehicle that your life depends on at times not a potato alarm clock for a 6th grade science fair.

Chances are you won't have any problems, but this is a huge undertaking and risky for the average person to do, anyone reading this and wanting to do it themselves should understand that soldering is not the right way to go about this sort of thing.

Jtrem

Pro TeaBagger
Car(s)
'06 Gti
^^ Like I said soldering for car stereos is good, but for wiring like the O2 sensor which is heat dependent isn't recommended.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
I smell smoke.

Good luck selling that some day.

lextildeath

Ready to race!
No one ever answered…What is the reason for this project?