GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The R32 fuel mileage thread!

Aargh_32

Ready to race!
Got 26.2 MPG on a 300 mile trip a week ago.
Mostly average 19-21 on mixed tanks.

10K miles on the car.

L4rry_B1rd

4021/5000
Car(s)
2008 R32
19 city, 23 highway... right on par with VW.

Friends think it's bad, I'm more than happy getting estimate.

Turbo Maniac

Passed Driver's Ed
I rarely drive anything more than a couple miles...a product of living and working in downtown Orlando.

I'm happy if I get 200 miles on a tank, and that's driving normally with an occasional "spirited" session. I used to get 180 per tank but as the car breaks in it's getting better gas mileage...I'm just over 3K now.

If you don't drive this car for more than 15 minutes at a time, expect to know the clerks at your local gas station very very well.

2fst4u

haldex is glue to you
Car(s)
'08 VW .:R32
Overall, 21.7 mpg...usually average around 250-260 miles before I'm down to my last gallon of fuel. FYI - I drive in manual mode most of the time. It's better if I switch to "economy" automatic D mode...usually around 22.5 mpg...pretty much on par with VW's claim of 23. I'll switch to D for the highways. At over $4/gallon, Forget S mode...that'll have you gulping gas down! I've only avg'd around 16 mpg in S mode!

FortySix&2

Passed Driver's Ed
After 1500 miles my MFD reads 20mpg average, this is mostly city with about 15-20% highway.

I'm fine with the mileage actually because my MKV GTI averaged 22mpg over the 9000 miles I had it. So my R is only 10% worse at the moment, so I can't complain. If I wanted better mileage I wouldn't have bought a sports/performance car, although the recent gas prices do have me second guessing a little.

sop1

Passed Driver's Ed
I also get about 21.7 with mixed daily driving. 80% non highway. When I increase highway driving I go to about 22.3. I'm punching it enough to have fun but not racing. Rarely go below 20 but I don't use S mode hardly at all. I have 5500 miles on car.

Blitzen

Professional .....
Over the first (almost) 2000 miles the MDF reads an average of 21.1 mpg.
Trips mostly on 50mgh roads with traffic lights 10-20 miles.
The MDF readings improved over time slowly but steadily (the weather might have an influence).
The last full tank came to 22.5 mpg (calculated).

jerseyfresh

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08 r32
usually get 23-26mpg..usually drivin on open roads for the most part
1500 miles so far

-candace

Lucidity

Marx
I'm surprised at the low numbers you guys are getting. My father's IS350 gets around 23-24 in the city and he's not a feather foot. I guess the AWD must hurt the mileage a good bit.

2fst4u

haldex is glue to you
Car(s)
'08 VW .:R32
Lucidity - The AWD and the weight definitely hurts the mileage a bit. My FWD GTI was getting more around 25-26 mpg overall in mixed driving conditions - mind you it was a true manual, not DSG tranny. I think the manual gives a little advantage as well.

Lucidity

Marx
Lucidity - The AWD and the weight definitely hurts the mileage a bit. My FWD GTI was getting more around 25-26 mpg overall in mixed driving conditions - mind you it was a true manual, not DSG tranny. I think the manual gives a little advantage as well.

Well the IS350 is heavier, and puts out 50 hp more, and I'm pretty sure more torque. On top of the it's a 3.5l not 3.2l. I guess the engine is just much more efficient overall, which I wouldn't expect. Also, DSG should yield better mileage than a manual in normal driving conditions.

WKC

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 GTI
One would think that the R32 would get better mileage than what it does since it's technically isn't full time AWD.

BekahsR32

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
VW R32
~4800 miles, averaging 23.5 mpg for daily driving

I have gotten 29mpg on multiple trips from Pittsburgh to Erie and back (all highway driving).