GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

stupid rear noise

ericaWINS

DOOOOOOM
Car(s)
09 DSG gti, black
So, a month ago I noticed a noise start in the rear of my car... sort of a whirrring sound. It's loud, not like "omg pull over" loud, but loud enough to not be heard over loud radio volume. It is constant at higher speeds(40mph+), definitely coming from the rear but cant tell if its one side or the other.
It started about a week after i had attempted to do my rear breaks. The caliper bolts were stuck and i gave up, so basically jacked up the rear and took wheels off and back on....
At first, i thought i had an exhaust leak. It's a similar sound but not rpm dependent, only speed. It is getting slightly louder now and really bothering me. I am in constant fear that there is something wrong with my car and i know something this loud cannot be normal. :frown:

Had a friend drive it, he said he thought it was just tire noise. (Michelin pilot p/s I think? 6ish months old).
nothing appears to be rubbing, everything looks perfect.
I am lowered on hr race springs, still on oem shocks/struts. got an alignment a day after install. car still drives straight.

so, I searched the forums... not much help.
Unbalanced wheels?
Bad rear shocks?
Bad rear wheel bearings?
REALLY loud tires?

Am I just being paranoid?

Ideas, experiences and insults are welcome. :thumbsup:

high_octane3541

Go Kart Champion

ericaWINS

DOOOOOOM
Car(s)
09 DSG gti, black

dingosteeda

Passed Driver's Ed
ya its crazy easy to replace rear wheel bearings. i just did it to my 07 a few weeks ago for the same rumble sound. basically the same steps as replacing rear brakes just getting the dust cap off and on was annoying for me lol.

you do need a big triple square though i think its an 18. dont quote me on that

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
This sounds like wheel bearing to me as well, but if you couldn't get the caliper bolts out could also be brake related. Jack up the rear end, grab your tire and shift it side to side and up and down, if the bearing is bad you should feel some play in it when doing this test.

I would go after the brakes as ceized bolts indicate its time to overhaul the brake system. As stated above, bearings are super easy on our cars (unitised bearings/hubs rule lol).

Let us know how it goes and what you find!

ericaWINS

DOOOOOOM
Car(s)
09 DSG gti, black
so, I ordered my replacement bearings from mjm autohaus 2 1/2 weeks ago and they still haven't shipped or taken my money.

has anyone ordered from them before?
they aren't responding to my emails and pm's on here either...

I hate driving around on a broke car worrying that it will get worse, but it's my dd and i dont' really have a choice :frown:

FaLLeNAn9eL

JESUS HATES FLAT TIRE
They used to be decent but I haven't ordered from them in a while. If it's taking this long, I would just cancel the order and get it somewhere else.

I would highly recommend googling 1st parts vw. They're also known as Alburn VW out in Washington. I think that's how it's spelled. I buy all my OEM parts (ranging from body panels to random interior bits and bobs) from them. Prices are great and shipping is awesome.

Perpetuus

Data Encryption
If you shift it into neutral while you hear the noise, and it does not go away, then it's the wheel bearings.

Perpetuus

Data Encryption
Rear wheels though. Does being in neutral affect the rear?

We're talking about the rear wheel bearings and trying to determine if the noise is coming from there.

If you shift to neutral when you hear the noise while driving, and let it coast (usually a whining, whirling noise) and the noise does not go away, that means the noise is from the bearings, and not from the engine or drivetrain. The noise would still be there because the wheels are still moving, while the engine has ramped down to idle. It's a simple test, but very effective.

Perpetuus

Data Encryption
It is most definitely coming from the rear. Neutral has no change, speed dependant not rpm.
Here's a video I just made... The background hum is very noticeable, when you are in the car it's very obviously coming from the rear
http://youtu.be/2J7-aMzrq20

I just watched the video.

Is it the metallic creaking noise when you went over the two bumps, or the humming in the background?