GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Wheel bearing replacement ?

piston

Options
Anyone know if there is a DIY replacement for the front wheel bearings on a MKV GTI or if someone can provide some general instructions and tools required ?

BlueAHR32

Autocross Champion
Thanks. Hopefully someone in that thread has some answers.

I will be doing mine myself eventually. Thats about all the information I can provide. There really aren't any DIY's online for replacing a MKV hub. I have searched and searched and searched. Doesn't seem too complicated, at least when it comes to replacing the rears.

piston

Options
I will be doing mine myself eventually. Thats about all the information I can provide. There really aren't any DIY's online for replacing a MKV hub. I have searched and searched and searched. Doesn't seem too complicated, at least when it comes to replacing the rears.
I know it doesn't look that complicated but it would be nice to have some guidance if someone has already done the task.

Also, knowing if any special tools like a triple square, large socket or breaker bar was needed would be very helpful. (IIRC, the axle bolt requires like 152lbs of torque) The Bentley manual doesn't note any tools and really doesn't explain how to remove the wheel bearing/hub. I'm basically going to follow the brake caliper removal and then try to figure out how to remove the wheel bearing/hub.

BlueAHR32

Autocross Champion
I know it doesn't look that complicated but it would be nice to have some guidance if someone has already done the task.

Also, knowing if any special tools like a triple square, large socket or breaker bar was needed would be very helpful. (IIRC, the axle bolt requires like 152lbs of torque) The Bentley manual doesn't note any tools and really doesn't explain how to remove the wheel bearing/hub. I'm basically going to follow the brake caliper removal and then try to figure out how to remove the wheel bearing/hub.

Yea all I have been researching personally is how to replace a rear bearing. Which for the rear it seems to be as simple as:

-Removing wheel and brake components
-Removing axle bolt
-Pulling off hub
-Sliding on new hub (using some grease)
-Install new axle bolt (they are one-time-use bolts)
-Reinstall wheel and brake components
-Done

Should pretty much be the same thing with the front. I do know that the front hub assembly has 4 bolts holding it in place and the axle bolt. And obviously the axle is going through the hub too so idk if you have to bang the axle out of if you can simple slide the hub on and off as with the rear. I do know the front bolt is a 20 something millimeter 12-point socket, avaliable at any store that sells tools. I will check on what size it is exactly when I get time. Seems like its all pretty much using basic tools, some specific sockets, and obviously the most important, a good torque wrench.

piston

Options
Yea all I have been researching personally is how to replace a rear bearing. Which for the rear it seems to be as simple as:

-Removing wheel and brake components
-Removing axle bolt
-Pulling off hub
-Sliding on new hub (using some grease)
-Install new axle bolt (they are one-time-use bolts)
-Reinstall wheel and brake components
-Done

Should pretty much be the same thing with the front. I do know that the front hub assembly has 4 bolts holding it in place and the axle bolt. And obviously the axle is going through the hub too so idk if you have to bang the axle out of if you can simple slide the hub on and off as with the rear. I do know the front bolt is a 20 something millimeter 12-point socket, avaliable at any store that sells tools. I will check on what size it is exactly when I get time. Seems like its all pretty much using basic tools, some specific sockets, and obviously the most important, a good torque wrench.
Ya, I haven't looked to see if a triple square is needed or not but at 152lbs of torque on the axle bolt, I bet a breaker bar may be needed. I'll just pick one of those up at the pawn shop or something.

Also, I haven't looked to see if a socket will fit on the rear 4 bolts for the wheel bearing/hub or if I'll need an open ended wrench.
Then what's the torque on those 4 bolts as the Bentley manual doesn't mention it. :iono:

Once I get this done in the next couple of weeks, I'll take pics and do a DIY so those doing this maintenance can have some peice of mind on what is needed but any information from those who have tackled this maintenance can step in and clarify tools/steps/info would be greatly appreciated.

BlueAHR32

Autocross Champion
Ya, I haven't looked to see if a triple square is needed or not but at 152lbs of torque on the axle bolt, I bet a breaker bar may be needed. I'll just pick one of those up at the pawn shop or something.

Also, I haven't looked to see if a socket will fit on the rear 4 bolts for the wheel bearing/hub or if I'll need an open ended wrench.
Then what's the torque on those 4 bolts as the Bentley manual doesn't mention it. :iono:

Once I get this done in the next couple of weeks, I'll take pics and do a DIY so those doing this maintenance can have some peice of mind on what is needed but any information from those who have tackled this maintenance can step in and clarify tools/steps/info would be greatly appreciated.

Tripple square bit is needed for the rear axle bolt. The front axle bolt has a male-end on it, requiring a twelve point socket.

As for the front 4 bolts on the hub I have no idea, and no idea about the torque specs either. Its interesting that the bently manual doesn't mention that. Thats really strange.

And yea a DIY would be great for sure, considering I haven't been able to find a single one in existance anywhere on the internet. I plan on doing the same once I get around to tackling the rear hub.

piston

Options
I have an 08/FSI/BPY.

1. The axle bolt is a standard socket.
2. the 4 bolts that hold the wheel bearing hub is a triple square. Looks like a 9mm or 10mm. - If anyone can confirm the exact size, that would be great.

The trick that I haven't figured out is how to remove the axle because it needs to be moved out of the way in order to use a triple square socket to remove the 4 wheel bearing/hub bolts. I doubt a triple square L wrench will fit either or have enough leverage to loosen or tighten it to spec.

BlueAHR32

Autocross Champion
I have an 08/FSI/BPY.

1. The axle bolt is a standard socket.
2. the 4 bolts that hold the wheel bearing hub is a triple square. Looks like a 9mm or 10mm. - If anyone can confirm the exact size, that would be great.

The trick that I haven't figured out is how to remove the axle because it needs to be moved out of the way in order to use a triple square socket to remove the 4 wheel bearing/hub bolts. I doubt a triple square L wrench will fit either or have enough leverage to loosen or tighten it to spec.

Ahh yea thats right, I forgot that some of the axle bolts were standard socket and some 12-point.

piston

Options
I have an 08/FSI/BPY.

Anyone ?

BlueAHR32

Autocross Champion
Dude, thanks.
Looks like the axle just comes out with tapping.

I think that was he last piece of info I was missing.

No problem man :thumbsup: