GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Project racecar. Build #1

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Finally!! When time allows I'll get started on this project I'm pretty excited about. Had to take a trip to Menards speed shop lol.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I'm guessing this is related to the cranberry juice, right?

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
I'm guessing this is related to the cranberry juice, right?

Nailed it!!! Making a cranberry trough so my Passanger can just poor cranberry juice into the top and have it funnel straight into my helmet. Cranberry cooling system baby.

But for real, finally fabbing up the side splitters extending the front splitter back and indeed doing a flat bottom. I may attempt a rear diffuser but we'll see how that goes and if I have enough. Will run this for this season and if it works I'll be ordering up Alumilite panels to replace the HDPE.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I'm going to love benefiting on your trial and error with aerodynamics!! Good on you!

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
I'm going to love benefiting on your trial and error with aerodynamics!! Good on you!

Lol, most of its been run through CFD, well, all the big parts. The wing, splitter and flares. The side splitters, rear diffuser, front canards and under paneling is uncharted territory.

The good news is, when I finally have it done and I switch to Alumilite I'll have all my HDPE bits as templates. I also have a sunroof delete kit that if anyone wanted I could make another. Once I have all the aero figured out I'm going to pay for some wind tunnel time and fine tune it from there.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Hope your exhaust isnt going to be too close and you have good ventilation, otherwise you will be melting all that plastic. Looks like the max working temp is just a hair over 200* F

That's been the major hangup on a lot of the underside aero work. Rear splitter and under panels are going to be the trickiest part. For the exhaust tunnel I'm thinking of running slanted vents in various spots to help keep the tunnel temps down once it's inclosed. Also, once I switch to Alumilite that issue gets much less drastic as far as material integrity goes.

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
just run a naca duct at the front, and a vent at the back to let the air out and you'll probably be fine

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
just run a naca duct at the front, and a vent at the back to let the air out and you'll probably be fine

That's a good idea! I was going to put two sets of louver panels in the front and back of the tunnel but a naca duct might work better.

Since the wing is going on in the back I'm less concerned about adding a rear diffuser and picked this up in a deal I worked out with a buddy of mine. Osir carbon fiber DT1 valance, I know it's not functional but damn does it look cool lol. Might end up going all Honda civic on it and just drill some speed holes in the bumper, guess we'll see.

doc280

Ready to race!
I am not a carbon fiber fiend, but that rear valance looks good. So no you can not go all Honda on it. Go all Honda on a stock one please. Also I know round speed holes are easy to do, but taking a dremel tool and doing horizontal slots looks a little better.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
That's a great looking piece!

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
I am not a carbon fiber fiend, but that rear valance looks good. So no you can not go all Honda on it. Go all Honda on a stock one please. Also I know round speed holes are easy to do, but taking a dremel tool and doing horizontal slots looks a little better.

Lol, I should have clarified, the speed holes will not be going in this but in the upper section of the bumper itself. I agree on the horizontal slots and may end up going that route.

doc280

Ready to race!
Lol, I should have clarified, the speed holes will not be going in this but in the upper section of the bumper itself. I agree on the horizontal slots and may end up going that route.

Whew.......

I want to see how the valance looks when you get it installed. I have been playing with the idea of painting my stock one gray to add a little color.