GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Project Fast: A Love Story

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Yeah, you guys aren't getting rid of me that easily. My mechanic just scored a long block from a Passat with 102k rear end collision for $500. And I just picked up a very exciting daily, 2003 Corolla, fuck yeah!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I wouldn't be surprised if I'm number 8, I'm going with Uni for the efr tune

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Like the 8th motor you've heard pop like this?

Curious why these motors are popping when running like that, heard of quite a few just launching a rod while cruising on the highway at ~3K RPM.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Reassuring at 151k :lol:

With that said, my buddy had a 1.8T (green Mk4 GTI; I'm not sure what engine code 1.8T) with a big turbo and his rod went at idle one day. But he beat the shit out of it so it might've just weakened and let loose at idle one day.

That's not the theory here though?

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Whats the theory, we back to bending rods with aggressive tunes or is there something else going on?

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
That's what I was trying to figure out lol. I would've just assumed the rod(s) got weak over time with the abuse and then let loose. They are stout engines, but we're pushing 300+wtq on the more aggressive KO4 tunes on an engine that was designed with 207 torque (okay, probably 230-235 torque stock because they're underrated). Add in a lot of mileage, and I would call it part of the game of modding cars.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
When I was having issues with my tune/wastegate I put down several dyno runs close to 380wtq (dynojet) and was freaking out that my motor would launch a rod. Kinda concerned I hurt it and will eventually be in the same situation.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
On a K04 so that was at 3K RPM, have a few thousand miles on it since then and its stll good.