Meat's Brake DIY (w/ thanks to DanGSR)

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
thanks, glad to help

Karel S

Ready to race!
Holy shit ! These m14 caliper bolts are a total pain in the ass to get off. :mad:

I gotta go buy this "breaker bar" thing you guys speak off. :biggrin:

Anyway, thanks for the write up, Meat ! It has been a great help so far. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
no problem, once you break it off once, they get easier. I apply some brake and caliper grease to the threads to make it a bit easier to get the bolts loose. Just make sure you torque them down as tight as possible.

Kong99

Passed Driver's Ed
Remove Carrier?

Meat thanks for the great write-up, especially the pics! I have a question, I am only swappin pads,and your instructions say to skip steps 4-6 if this is the case. Don't I need to do step 4 (remove the carrier) to swap the pads or can the pads be removed with the carrier still in place??

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
Meat thanks for the great write-up, especially the pics! I have a question, I am only swappin pads,and your instructions say to skip steps 4-6 if this is the case. Don't I need to do step 4 (remove the carrier) to swap the pads or can the pads be removed with the carrier still in place??

you can take the pads out of the carrier while the carrier is still bolted on

Kong99

Passed Driver's Ed
Meat, thanks. I swapped pads for next weekend at the track. Thread was a nice reference, especially the pics.

I did the Driver front 1st and had a small fight, mostly due to inexperience. In the process of trying to get the shoe back on I think I wiped most of the anti-squeal paste off. That is only brake making noise, and only at low speed slow stops, but the wife does not like it. I'm gonna redo that shoe, do I need to do both front brakes so both calipers are synched??

Assuming this lack of anti-squeal paste is the problem...

Kong99

Passed Driver's Ed
what pad did you install?

I went with the EBC YellowStuff... much much better brake response and stopping power. We'll see how they do on the track. I 'think' I went with EBC because it seemed to lean more towards the track, versus street. But it was a few months ago when I got 'em and I'm no expert.

I also put on my track shoes. 225/50R-16 Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec on 16x7 MSW Type 14 Silver wheels. I wanted to spend a little time getting use to the new shoes before I hit the track. So far I am VERY happy with the wheels!!