GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Mechatronic Replacement

Lams

Ready to race!
so how many of you, on a percentage, has had the mechatronic replaced? coz i'm thinking of getting a 2nd hand DSG... and this is a little worrying as the cars i'm looking at are over warranty

TDI_DSG

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK5
i bought mine second hand, with 116k km on it (not under factory warranty either).
up untill very recently it's been perfect. now im up to 135k km.

it now has a small thud between 2nd and 3rd (but only if im in manual mode, and only when it's cold).
if i leave it in D or S it's perfect all the time.

im guessing it's only a small percentage of owners (compared to the sales numbers that is)
that have had any issues, and most if not all of those have been fixed by vw, in some cases even outside the warranty period.

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
so how many of you, on a percentage, has had the mechatronic replaced? coz i'm thinking of getting a 2nd hand DSG... and this is a little worrying as the cars i'm looking at are over warranty

It may be worth getting a newer one then extending the warranty. Haven't checked but they may only cost slightly more?

Otherwise if they are faulty or fail, they may do so early on so who knows.

RobGtSport

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW R32
Ok so i have a very bad feeling my DSG has taken a bad turn and is unwell :'(

there is a loud clunk when moving the car from P to D or from R to D. Also a rough take off (moves forward for a bit then stops then moves forward) just after coming from R to D and taking off. When driving at a low speed in 2nd gear and accelerating slightly you can hear a clunk clunk noise. A thud noise when reversing quickly to do a 3 point turn and then another thud straight after when moving forward. when driving along and the car selects 6th gear u can hear a clunk also.

Thats everything i have noticed. Whats the verdict?

Im gonna book it in for sometime this week hopefully.

funny

VCDS guru & soon Dad x2 !
Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07

there is a loud clunk when moving the car from P to D or from R to D. Also a rough take off (moves forward for a bit then stops then moves forward) just after coming from R to D and taking off. When driving at a low speed in 2nd gear and accelerating slightly you can hear a clunk clunk noise. A thud noise when reversing quickly to do a 3 point turn and then another thud straight after when moving forward. when driving along and the car selects 6th gear u can hear a clunk also.

Maybe it's not DSG and something else in the drivetrain?
Doesn't sound like typical DSG signs to me except for the pause from takeoff.
Maybe get the DSG to relearn first via VCDS? If it doesn't last more than 2 weeks then you might be joinging the club...

Booba

Ready to race!
Ok got a question. I don't think my DSG has ever been right. Even on stock it seems even slightly clunky on the "smooth" gear shifts and also shifts violently from time to time.

now lately when almost coming to a stop mainly up hills if i don't completely stop but start going again and it just goes into 1st it will go into 1st very violently. is this sign that the mecha is rooted?

I have about 2 months of warranty left and would like it done out of the way on original factory. intend to organise extended in the next month.

funny

Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
Ok got a question. I don't think my DSG has ever been right. Even on stock it seems even slightly clunky on the "smooth" gear shifts and also shifts violently from time to time.

now lately when almost coming to a stop mainly up hills if i don't completely stop but start going again and it just goes into 1st it will go into 1st very violently. is this sign that the mecha is rooted?

I have about 2 months of warranty left and would like it done out of the way on original factory. intend to organise extended in the next month.

You might just need the settings for the DSG to be relearnt. Trip to VAGCOM owner or shop will do that. You can be honest and tell them it's shifting poorly. It's the 1st thing they try (and ask you to try first).

The hill thing - as car slows, DSG will disconnect clutches when you are slow and have foot on brake. If you then switch to throttle, the abrupt clutch closure could be what's causing the jolt.

STALIONNA

Apart from the issues you listed, were there any other specific problems you had with your DSG to warrant a replacement??

Just curious as to what to look out for in the future!

I knew when mine went... My car simply "felt different" no major effects... i could just feel something was wrong. When I took my car to the VW dealer, they plugged her in, and she showed them that her PMS was Gearbox Electronic Malfunction... They didn't know what the problem was and said they'd give the factory a call and find out. Right after he installed some update in my car, and said I was good to go, she didn't allow me ride her backwards, then I tried a different position... Forward... She still wouldn't... That's when she started flashing at the mechanic and I (P-R-N-D-S)... That's when I got real happy... You see, usualy I would get pissed off at my girl if flashes at another guy, but this girl always has a problem and never shows a mechanic when I take her in (Murphy's law) but now he could see for himself...

So she's with the mechanic now... He's working her... It's her Mechatronic...

This problem seems all too common...

Best of all is, when I worte to the support centre, they were so confident, they gave me a call back and said that it was not the problem and this was mostly a problem only in the USA... How is somehting "Mostly only" a problem somewhere specific...

I'll probably have her back about next week... That's what they said anyway... (FTR, they have never been right about when I would get my car back)

Excuse my puns

STALIONNA

Sounds just like my sad case of above...

funny

Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
Bit late Capercat!

Seems DSG issues aren't so rare after all, but still given the numbers pretty "rare".

mine is a little strange, as it only occurs in manual mode, and only on the 2-3 shift. and it does not happen all the time either.

Does it happen esp. at low-ish revs (2-3K) under open throttle? If so, I am getting same. Also only in manual.

According to local VW techs, in "A" or "S" the gearbox backs off torque; whereas this doesn't happen (as quickly) in "M" mode. So you're dumping max torque (and a TDI has bags of the stuff) through the 'box - hence the thump.

TDI_DSG

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK5
yep, only in "M" and only if i change at a lower rpm. if i let it go to 4k, it doesn't do it.
at 2-3 k it will always have a little thud into 3rd. mine is only on the 2>3 shift and only in "M" mode..

in "A" or "S" its smooth as.
i have over 140k km on it now and it hasn't gotten any worse since i have owned the car, so im not overly concerned.

Jason.