GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A build I am very happy with - got all my info on this forum

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, depending on what your numbers are on the dyno after the new DSG tune will help me in my decision on turbo. If you hit 350 who and similar torque I may just go the K04 route instead of big turbo. For a track car, anything over 400 is almost useless. Originally I was shooting for around 450whp but after getting some seat time and learning how my car handles with what I have now, I'm thinking under 4 is going to be the best middle ground.

Very excited for you bro!

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
File getting loaded - first review in about 30 min

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Happy for you Lary; finally you got the tune, hopefully it will fix the DSG issue and car pull more.
Let's see the dyno results

-------
Philosophy Of Eagles: Eagles flies only with eagles!

Fingers crossed - hopefully we can finally see what this tune is laying down.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Well couldn't tell any difference and traffic was so bad coming home from the install could not run it. I am going to take it out in the morning and see how it does on my favorite short canyon run.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Well couldn't tell any difference and traffic was so bad coming home from the install could not run it. I am going to take it out in the morning and see how it does on my favorite short canyon run.

I'm waiting abatedly for your impressions on your canyon run this morning!

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
1st impressions

As I said before I really could not "feel" the car slipping.

So with that in mind first impressions after canyon run.....

The shift between 3rd and 4th at WOT does seem a bit more positive. It was almost 80 degrees out and the car drove like a freight train with what seemed a bit extra in 4th, it "seemed" like I was reaching speed quicker than I usually do at the same spots in the straightaway.

One hiccup that can probably be programmed out is that this new tune has a bit of a problem leaving the line from zero.

Leaving the line:

If I pause slightly between going from brake to gas the car hesitates every so lightly and then goes on its merry way.

On the other extreme, it I leave the brake pedal at a stop and stomp on the gas there is a very noticeable hesitation in the trans, then a pretty big clunk and the car lurches forward with sort of a bucking. Almost what it would feel like leaving a stop sign under light throttle and shifting from neutral to drive.

I am sure they can program it out. I am really looking forward to the dyno. Just going to wait a bit for some decent weather.

Follow up Monday after - Unitronics explained the new behavior was actually normal because of the increased clamping pressure. I can adapt my driving style off the line and I am sure get used to the change. Unitronics has been SO responsive and helpful I can't say enough good things.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I wonder if the clutch has to build pressure to meet the increased clamping force, hence the hesitation. I'm sure there are going to be characteristic changes with the increased clamping force, I would expect it to be more clunky. When's dyno day?

After trading emails with Unitronics this morning you are exactly right, it is a characteristic of the change they made. It will just take a little more to adapt my driving style to accomodate the change.

Unitronics has been wonderful to work with. John Staffi has been a stellar representative of the company. I have only high praise for Unitronics.

I am looking forward to the dyno. As soon as temps around here drop I will go back to the dyno. All my previous runs were done around 68-70 degrees. First opportunity I will be back there. Weather still warm around here.

Last edited:

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Unitronics has been wonderful to work with. John Staffi has been a stellar representative of the company. I have only high praise for Unitronics.

I really wish I could say the same, I've been extremely disappointed in them (especially John). I'm glad everything worked out, looking forward to dyno numbers.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
How is feeling about car after days of driving it?

My feeling is that acceleration seems even better under full load in 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th. The little hesitation while leaving the line is something I have adapted to and found ways to change my driving style, now it is just normal.

Truth be told I have not been driving the car as much lately. I have been driving the new (new to me) 2007 Audi A8 (what a car) a lot to get used to it.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Finally getting around to installing the GolfR/R32 rear brake set this week.