GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2006 and 2007 owners -How long did your TPMS batteries last?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I was told they last about 6 years, but I'm thinking - do they only turn on when there's a low pressure fault or do they constantly send out a signal? Or do they work differently?

Activated by motion. And I heard that their projected life is more like 11 years.

Search for "tpms battery died" or something - bet it is rare.

.:Sent by pneumatic tubes

matteo716

Muddy GTI guy
Car(s)
2008 GTI
one of my sensors went out. the tpms is constantly on but no flat/low tires anywhere. i have a 2008.

Car(s)
Subaru
a lot of people fill their tires wrong and the tpms doesnt reset. im guessing this thread is another what if thread though, so id say they usually last more the a few hours.... if we are going by price is right rules

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
BTW TPMS was not included on US 2006 mk5 (I wish it did),
2007 was the first year for US mk5.

A bit confusing because my 2006 factory wheels came with a metal valve stem, but not TPMS.

option 18" Hufeisen wheel 2006 factory supplied valve stem - no TPMS

TPMS has a taller visible base / collar

I am not sure if this provides any hints on power management,
but here is the VW procedure for learning a new TPMS sensors

Adaptation is not quite that critical in reality.
I swap winter / summer wheels / tires on the 2008 Passat, both sets have the TPMS sensors.
Simply driving normally a short distance relearns them after a swap.

FaLLeNAn9eL

JESUS HATES FLAT TIRE
For an old school guy, I figure you would just disable the TPMS and just check the pressure manually at a regular interval.

For an old school guy, I figure you would just disable the TPMS and just check the pressure manually at a regular interval.

Is there a way to disable the tpms on a us-spec mkv that doesn't involve yanking the vcds cable during a procedure?

.:Sent by pneumatic tubes

hairyblackrabbit

Powerful like a gorilla
You can disable them via VAG-COM.
^

love how the mkvi (the one we have at least) ditched the tpms sensors and instead figures tire pressure off wheel rotations.

wish more new cars did it that way (my non disableable whore of an frs for one)

The Fed

Old Guys Rule

I do, and I have a premium tire gauge. But it's nice that when you have a leak it lets you know. Nobody checks their tires every day.

I was unaware that you can just turn it off in the settings for the canbus gateway. I had read some earlier threads that indicated it wasn't directly possible.

I prefer TPMS on low profile tires because i have seen what happens when a low profile tire loses pressure on the freeway.

Might turn it off when i am running snows, though.