GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Would you buy another VW?

J-Fly

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Audi TTS
So I'm about to make my last payment and I've been so frustrated with my car that I don't even want to keep it for fear of more maintenance cost. I've had a lot of issues and was curious if any of you had similar problems that are enticing you to look elsewhere for your next car. Just a quick background. My wife bought an '08 Jetta brand new. I was so impressed with the quality and finish of that car so I bought an '09 GTI in 2010 despite the fact that my wife had started to experience problems with her Jetta. We got rid of the Jetta after just 3 years due to all of the problems. Here's a list of all of the issues with my GTI since I purchased it in 2010:

8/31/11 - Replaced steering angle sensor
10/14/11 - Replaced air mass sensor
11/9/11 - Replaced throttle valve
11/30/11 - Replaced ignition coil
12/1/11 - Replaced remaining three ignition coils
9/10/13 - Replaced O2 sensor
12/26/13 - Replaced cylinder 2 coil
12/27/13 - Replaced ABS unit
3/3/14 - Cleaned intake manifold, throttle body, and injector
7/31/14 - Cleaned intake manifold, replaced cylinder two injector
6/15/15 - Replaced intake manifold
6/22/15 - Replaced clutch kit
8/3/15 - another throttle body fault found by VCDS and dealership is currently checking it now (car has been at dealership for 2 days and counting)

So are you still satisfied with the reliability of your VW? This is my first and last VW and my wife feels the same way. :mad0259: Notice I only had one good year in 2012 but I spent most of that year traveling and didn't drive my car as much.

beauy46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2009 TR GTI
I would buy a MK1, MK2, MK3 or a Aircooled.

New---Never again LOL

beauy46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2009 TR GTI
I've had similar issues
-Intake Manifold
-ABS Pump
-Water pump on 3rd
-Headliner
-coils but replaced with R8

My car is almost paid off. I'm planning on keeping it and proceed to buy another daily, or sell for another fun car and still buy a daily.
Daily as in Toyota, Subaru.

I'm a tech at a dealer...I see the worst of everything I'm so freaking jaded about these cars.

Yet I own 3. I must be kind stupid.

Also your throttle body isn't the issue, they need to do a repair for the 6 pin connector. Your list is short imo.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I'm happy. 09 stage 1 and 10 GTI stage 3 both cars intake manifold and one thermostat bad at 105k. I did the whole pump. Headliner on the 09 but I'll fix that too. No carbon cleaning ever, just hard driving.

Last edited:

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
I wouldn't trade my car for the world. So much, that I'm shopping for another MKV GTI come next spring. I will never own a TSI, the FSI is just too good and trouble free. I currently own 2 VW, my 06 GTI and my 83 rabbit convertible.

Wife is getting a Toureg or a Tiguan and I'm getting another MKV. That'sgotta say something about these cars. It helps being mechanically inclined when you own a VW but to be honest I ddon't think they are any worse than any other car out there. OP, almost everything you had on your list is maintenance stuff aside from the few flukes.

To each his own, my family and I are die hard VW people and will continue to be. So yes, I/we will most certainly be buying another.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
I never had problems with VW's since '75. Got a new 2015 Golf R and couldn't be happier!

LilRaverBoi

Optometrist Prime
I own 3 ranging from 1962 to 2009 and would absolutely buy another....most definitely will buy one again. Yes, there will be issues with them. But I urge you to find another car manufacturer without issues.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Your list is short imo.

Agreed.

I'll definitely buy another one, just not a first model year for a new generation again. It took a while to get everything on my BPY worked out; luckily, mostly under warranty.

Epic_Sandwich

I Drive a Sedan
I used to mainly own Mazdas until I test drove my MKV GLI on a whim. I instantly felt a connection and have been a happy owner since.

My MKV impressed me and my wife so much, when it was her turn for another vehicle, we bought a CPO MK6 Golf TDI for her, which has been an utterly fantastic car for her.

These cars, as with most Germans car, tend to need some more regular/preventative maintenance than most are willing do or feel is "acceptable", and the cost can sometimes more higher.

The biggest issue I had with my GLI was a complete failure of the A/C system, which happened with roughly 800 miles remaining on my CPO warranty, so it was fully covered. Other than that, just normal costs like oil changes, tires, ignition coils/plus, and the major timing belt/water pump service.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Sage advice from avenali312. Avoid buying first year runs or even second year runs of a new motor if possible. Let them get the kinks worked out.

As Das Gespenst noted their is a distinct advantage to being an enthusiast with some skills and a VCDS cable as you can solve most of your own issues.

My car has only had one failure - thermostat. Not bad for 8 years. The dealership has only worked on the car twice. Once to replace the Mechtronics unit that was a factory recall and I took it in once to get the ECU flashed back to stock to erase the GIAC tune to prepare for the Driver Motorsport tune.

Being an enthusiast and one who mods a lot I have probably avoided a number of failures because I tend to replace parts that are known failure points as I mod.

Yes I would buy another. I really like the Audi/VW cars, so much so that I am looking to buy an S8 early next year (not a new one).

DerekH

Ready to race!
in the 6+ years i have owned my mkv aside from regular maintenance stuff I've only had to replace a crank sensor and a couple o2 sensors which are for sure from modding.

I would with out a doubt buy another VW aside from being reliable they are a lot of fun.

ghost_03

Ready to race!
My GTI at 135k with lots of mods and track days was getting a little unreliable for DD usage. Only reason I didn't get another VW was because I love my GTI so much I can't get rid of it, coupled with the fact I couldn't see having 2 GTIs.

I really like my new DD 328i but sometimes I look at MK7s with a bit of regret.

Yeah, VWs aren't perfect and have some reliability issues. But they're also super fun and just plain endearing. They're kind of like a pet dog with annoying habits that you put up with because its so awesome.

So yes, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one if I found myself in a situation where it was appropriate. I'd just budget for some repairs lol.

Buffgli

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GLI
I would buy another hands down or move to Audi. The only alternate I would choose is Subaru, but even so, that's a stretch.

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
I'll never buy another VW. I have no intention of ever selling my car though, I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything. It's my first car, I learned to drive stick with it, and its making my automotive dreams a reality. And it would be a financial shot in the foot to sell it obviously.

When they work German cars are amazing, the combination of performance and versatility, the thought that goes into the smallest details. Driving a Kia Forte to work really makes me appreciate the superiority of my GTI. Every single piece is that little bit better, from the way the door will stay open at five different positions and doesn't move if I drive around in first gear to the way the sun visors fold up without making a huge banging noise. I drive 50,000km every year so I probably won't ever buy a German car for the commute because it just wouldn't last but for a car that handles the fun stuff the Germans really have it locked down.