GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

will new SS brake lines alone noticably improve the pedal feel?

batfink21

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW Golf GTi MkV 2.0
I feel bad for your gti hurdy. If I had 3 ugly women touching my car it would be the skid plate at 80 mph.

they're women?! Oh my god, I thought it was some kind of transvestite festival.

IceFox

sorry for this question that is quite out of subject, but on hawks homepage I found som Burnishing instruktions and I wonder what they mean with point 3.

Do they mean like breaking just a little over a long distance or?

Burnishing Instructions

1. After installing new brake pads, make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 30-35 mph applying moderate pressure.
2. Make an additional 2 to 3 hard stops from approximately 40 to 45 mph.
3. DO NOT DRAG BRAKES!
4. Allow 15 minutes for brake system to cool down.
5. After step 4 your new pads are ready for use.

thx in advance

johnny love

don't be an asshat.
so why does the GTI brake feel suck? my car is a 2008 and 8000 miles -its not worn out - the brakes have never felt solid.

it's been theorized that the "squishy" brake feel is due to the master cylinder diaphragm being too flexible, so all the bushings, ss lines, pads, etc will only do so much.

iirc, someone on vortex mkiv r32 forum (or maybe rdefined) replaced their MC with a new OEM unit and noticed greatly improved feel...for the first few thousand miles or so until the diaphragm stretched out.

if there's an aftermarket MC, i don't know about it; it's not something i've researched.

johnny love

don't be an asshat.
Do they mean like breaking just a little over a long distance or?

Burnishing Instructions

1. After installing new brake pads, make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 30-35 mph applying moderate pressure.
2. Make an additional 2 to 3 hard stops from approximately 40 to 45 mph.
3. DO NOT DRAG BRAKES!
4. Allow 15 minutes for brake system to cool down.
5. After step 4 your new pads are ready for use.

thx in advance

do not lightly brake between the stops. think of the brake pedal as a binary switch: on or off, no partial application/pressure.

Sayemthree

Ready to race!
well these internets are confusing for us old guys over 30.

grasshopper

Frankie Says Reflex
Car(s)
Jeep Wrangler JK
Dan's first post was spot on. The stock pads suck. I had major problems with consistancy. Pulling my DSG into parking spaces just under auto-creep I would occasionally scare myself when the car would not be stopping, despite the completely mundane task, the pads would just not grab like they did only 10 mins before. Every other kind of braking experienced the same kind of performance flucuations.

I switched to Akebono ceramics 'cos I've had excellent results with them on other cars and it noticably tightened the pedal up and the bite is consistant and predictable.

So, get rid of the stock pads first. I would do that before moving on to fluid and lines.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Wow, I know the pads are a weak point, but threads like these make me impulse buy stuff even though I'm due in <10k for new pads. Maybe I'll get them early.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
How loud are they? I know we've talked before, but supposedly some of the guys at AutoX had them and they were squeeky as hell when they were cold. I thought they were Carbontechs or something more radical, but people said otherwise.

Sayemthree

Ready to race!
hawk hp+
best street pads you can buy for the mkv

VERY noisy.

as far as dragging the brakes I think they mean slightly dragging the brakes with the left foot while driving along with the right on the gas.

TarmacSpecial

Terror On Two Wheels
Car(s)
2008 Volkswagen GTI
Dan is absolutely right. The stock pads are easily the weakest link. They simply just don't have the bite or heat dissipation properties for anything serious.

The lines will definitely improve feel by reducing what is effectively free play from brake line expansion under the intense pressure they are subjected too.

However, the calipers/carriers have a lot of flex, and the lack of opposing pistons only makes it more noticable in terms of pedal feel during intial braking when the caliper twists and takes a set. For this the Tyrolsport bushings will help.

Personally, I woud just do all those things at once as a brake mod package. If the mileage is low, I would just turn the rotors (regardless of the factory we-want-to-sell-you-another-rotor reccomendation against it), install the new bits, use good fluid, and enjoy the firmer pedal and great bite from the braking system. :D

TarmacSpecial

Terror On Two Wheels
Car(s)
2008 Volkswagen GTI
VERY noisy.

Two wheels or four, if you're agressive, and want great brakes, you're also going to get three other things - Noise, dust, and increased rotor wear. Just the way it is.

Some are better than others, but compromises are made when making pads that are quiet and yield little dust.

TarmacSpecial

Terror On Two Wheels
Car(s)
2008 Volkswagen GTI
Fitting SS lines WILL NOT give a better (or worse) feel to the brake pedal, brakes etc. Period.

Brake lines are designed not to expand/contract due to temp or pressure changes on the stock lines. The SS ones simply have a higher specification and are less likely to fracture.

Any difference in feel will be purely due to bleeding of the lines.

Perhaps it's different for cars, but on motorcycles, changing to S/S lines is night and day. We're talking going from being able to pull it to the bar with four fingers, to solid one finger braking. Yes, I've changed/bled fluid on stock lines too, so it wasn't that.

I think it's really more an issue of the hydraulic booster with cars. The booster greatly masks what's going on in terms of feel compared to a braking system without one like a motorcycle.

Some cars have more brake boost than others, and that effects pedal feel. I changed the brake booster on my old scirocco from one on a 944 Turbo and the thing felt like standing on a rock compared to the original one.

So really a certain lack of firmness will always be present unless there is a way to go to a diffeernt booster that has less assist. Failing that, the least you can do is try to eliminate the potential for misdirected hydraulic force via free play or flex, perceivable or not, by using the available means to do so.