GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

will new SS brake lines alone noticably improve the pedal feel?

RRacerguy717

Go Kart Champion

Haggisman14

Cram V
Car(s)
CW 2 Door
not good - wife drives GTI too. wife hates noisy brakes. must keep wife happy.

he said they DON'T add noise :)

And I'd agree, instead of switching to SS lines or bushings, just upgrade to Hawk HPS pads...i don't track my car or anything, and after putting 60k miles on the car, i figured I'd need brakes...my rears were shot, but fronts still had MORE than 50%...after putting those HPS pads in...i'd NEVER go back to stock...absolutely amazing, and stop your ass on a dime! If you do that, you won't havec to change anything else.

Marc

Sayemthree

Ready to race!
he said they DON'T add noise :)

And I'd agree, instead of switching to SS lines or bushings, just upgrade to Hawk HPS pads...i don't track my car or anything, and after putting 60k miles on the car, i figured I'd need brakes...my rears were shot, but fronts still had MORE than 50%...after putting those HPS pads in...i'd NEVER go back to stock...absolutely amazing, and stop your ass on a dime! If you do that, you won't havec to change anything else.

Marc

double negative got me. sorry - no they dont add no noise! :)

batfink21

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW Golf GTi MkV 2.0
I replaced only the front lines with SS and replaced the brake fluid with AP Racing fluids and hardly FELT any difference under foot (obviously the difference is that the fluid didn't boil and the lines didn't expand during driving, I'm not suggesting that its a waste of time upgrade).

Then I replaced the pads with Carbotech AX6 and the car will certainly decelerate well but I don't think it's improved the pedal FEEL - ie, there's still a good 20-30mm travel before the brake starts to give any feedback.

If you (or the wife) don't like noise, avoid the Carbotechs.

I didn't explain that very well so read the post twice!

hurdy

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R DSG
Fitting SS lines WILL NOT give a better (or worse) feel to the brake pedal, brakes etc. Period.

Brake lines are designed not to expand/contract due to temp or pressure changes on the stock lines. The SS ones simply have a higher specification and are less likely to fracture.

Any difference in feel will be purely due to bleeding of the lines.

hurdy

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R DSG
:rolleyes:

tell that to the millions of ppl that say otherwise

LOL

Yeah, No wonder I've not got much hair left.

I cannot understand how people can think that it will help. You have all the same parts except the pipe, duh, hello!

If I changed a fuel pipe from one material to another, would it alter the pressure to the engine? NOOoooooo.

You get my drift now people?

njohanss

Ready to race!
LOL

Yeah, No wonder I've not got much hair left.

I cannot understand how people can think that it will help. You have all the same parts except the pipe, duh, hello!

If I changed a fuel pipe from one material to another, would it alter the pressure to the engine? NOOoooooo.

You get my drift now people?

If that fuel pipe were rubber and you were changing it to SS (...like the brakes) then you would feel a difference. Rubber lines expand when pressure/heat are applied, increasing the x-sectional area and lowering the pressure. The SS lines do not expand as much; resulting in less pressure loss, and you're right the SS lines are more resilient than the stock ones. Is the difference noticeable under normal driving? Probably not.

darcness

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI CW
Honestly, unless your brake lines are old and starting to swell under the pressure, it's unlikely that the different would be enough to even really notice. I'm not saying there wouldn't be a difference, but it would be slight at best.

Now if you're taking old rubber brake lines and then installing new SS lines, of course you WILL notice the difference.

Sayemthree

Ready to race!
Honestly, unless your brake lines are old and starting to swell under the pressure, it's unlikely that the different would be enough to even really notice. I'm not saying there wouldn't be a difference, but it would be slight at best.

Now if you're taking old rubber brake lines and then installing new SS lines, of course you WILL notice the difference.

so why does the GTI brake feel suck? my car is a 2008 and 8000 miles -its not worn out - the brakes have never felt solid.