GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Valve Cleaning DIY

nyesteeze

Doing my preliminary research before giving this a go and have a couple questions.

Is it necessary to completely remove the throttle body charge pipe? Otherwise don't see a reason for removing the belly pan.

Jet08

Ready to race!
Removal of the TB pipe is so you can move the inlet manifold out of the way to do the cleaning, there is very little slack in the TB pipe so yes you do need to remove it.
You also have the opportunity to drain the oil from the lower intercooler pipe and give it a clean, I also sprayed some carby cleaner in to the throttle body plate.

You dont have to remove the tbody pipe on either fsi or tsi to get the intake manifold out. I dont need a lift for decarbs.

And for the guys worrying about the teflon seals, those NEVER leak. Anyone who says they do fucked something up with them. Youre supposed to use the wire brush in the remover/installer kit and clean the bores. The only seals that def need replaced are the orings, those will leak if ripped just a hair.

Always make sure the rail isnt double sealed, as that will leak too.

socalhatch

Don't panic it's organic
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
You dont have to remove the tbody pipe on either fsi or tsi to get the intake manifold out. I dont need a lift for decarbs.

And for the guys worrying about the teflon seals, those NEVER leak. Anyone who says they do fucked something up with them. Youre supposed to use the wire brush in the remover/installer kit and clean the bores. The only seals that def need replaced are the orings, those will leak if ripped just a hair.

Always make sure the rail isnt double sealed, as that will leak too.

Awesome I'm taking my rs4 injectors out and putting the stocks back in I was wondering about that white seal when i replace the stocks

Perpetuus

Data Encryption
Tackling valve cleaning this weekend. Have everything removed except for that M10 Satan bolt...

Is it absolutely necessary to remove the dipstick guide tube? Does it get in the way of the M10?

Mine won't budge.

Perpetuus

Data Encryption
Found a picture of the M10 triple square bolt from APR. Will try again tomorrow.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
Tackling valve cleaning this weekend. Have everything removed except for that M10 Satan bolt...

Is it absolutely necessary to remove the dipstick guide tube? Does it get in the way of the M10?

Mine won't budge.

Heat it up with a torch

Tapatalkin

nyesteeze

Mine won't budge.

Yes, the dipstick tube needs to go. Wrap some rope around it and yank.

I took 3 full days to get the job done last week.:thumbdown:

Perpetuus

Data Encryption
Yes, the dipstick tube needs to go. Wrap some rope around it and yank.

I took 3 full days to get the job done last week.:thumbdown:

I found out that my M10 triple square bolt stripped when I got to it. This is going to take a while now...

Also, I wrapped a zip tie around the dipstick tube, and managed to break the eyelet off. The tube did come out finally, but with a vice grip.

TheTroyness

I changed a tire once...
I found out that my M10 triple square bolt stripped when I got to it. This is going to take a while now...

Also, I wrapped a zip tie around the dipstick tube, and managed to break the eyelet off. The tube did come out finally, but with a vice grip.

Yeah, that tube is a HUGE PAIN. I've had to go through this multiple times (once wasn't a valve cleaning, it was a time-sensitive emergency debacle otherwise I would have cleaned them while I was in there...) and every time getting that tube out was easily one of the hardest parts of this job. It always took two people: one to pull on it from the top and the other to pry on it with a giant screwdriver. The last time I was about to tie a chain around it and rip it out with a truck...

Also, sorry everyone about a few of the pics being enormous. I've gone in there a couple times and changed the pic code to make the images appropriately sized but they always revert back to enormous.

Otherwise I hope the write up has been helpful. I've reread it recently and found some glaring issues now that I'm more familiar. Maybe someday I'll go in and fix all of it.

Perpetuus

Data Encryption
Old vs. new intake manifold bracket:

Success finally.

Now just need to clean vales.