GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Valve Cleaning DIY

socalhatch

Don't panic it's organic
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
wow just did this again ( switching tunes went from rs4 injector back to stock.) All i can say is im saving up for meth injection asap. My valves were horrible at only 26,000 miles after cleaning for the first time at 86,000 , they looked almost the same not as bad but horrible. cleaning was far easier than the first time around although i still did not enjoy it.

i recommend every one to clean there valves no matter how hard you drive or what catch can set up you have. If you don't have direct port injection w/m or w/m at all, clean your valves every 20-40 thousand miles easy and that's pushing it...

it is pretty easy to do your self just very time consuming ....

chomorro

Ready to race!
Ok im attempting this within the next few weekends. Im making a list of things that i should replace while im doing this to make things easier. I bought a intercooler upgrade, APR flapper delete, and APR pump. They all seem like bolt on after i do the rest of this crap.

So I have New Blue O rings, M10 bolts, intake manifold gasket on the list. Any other gaskets that should be replaced? Best most powerful but safe cleaning agent to use? Upgraded (Or noise delete) throttle pipe?

Dealer just replaced my cam shaft, pump, cam follower, and all relating gaskets and screws.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, im preparing for this with air tools. Oil extractor (to pull sludge out). Long reach triple square set, and clip tool.

ddriver3487

Still broke...
Car(s)
O8 GTI
Just spent two days doing this at 45000 miles. Everything went fine but I couldn't find the patience to secure the manifold bracket after fighting a couple hours to get it out. I watched the engine for a few minutes and the intake manifold isn't going anywhere. Its on really tight, so I cant say I'm worried about leaving it. Car drives beautifully now. Thanks OP for the great write up.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I do prefer my 15 minute method through the IAT with my sprayer.

Where I go from this:

To this:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
No, I spray my own mixed solution through the IAT sensor port. It is NAPTHA or Xylene(whichever I happen to have), fuel, and mineral spirits...1 part each. I have a DIY vid, but I have since modified my sprayer so there is about 8ft of hose spliced into the wand so that I can spray from the drivers seat so I control the throttle rather than prop the throttle pedal with a stick to control the rpm's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHF-Jdw0eto&list=UUhzboxyxcOHLU7IwZaFWg_A

I began doing this after researching all of the top end product's msds's finding that they all mostly use mineral spirits, fuel, and either NAPHTHA or xylene. This stuff is cheaper by the gallon at Lowe's or the Depot.

I have a cheap Chinese bore-scope, but it does show the reduction of build-up well enough.

I am near doing a remake of that vid ever since coming up with the wand extension rather than the stick.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
Old vs. new intake manifold bracket:

Success finally.

Now just need to clean vales.

I jsut went ahead and skipped reinstalling that bracket as its not needed and was such a pain to uninstall.

No, I spray my own mixed solution through the IAT sensor port. It is NAPTHA or Xylene(whichever I happen to have), fuel, and mineral spirits...1 part each. I have a DIY vid, but I have since modified my sprayer so there is about 8ft of hose spliced into the wand so that I can spray from the drivers seat so I control the throttle rather than prop the throttle pedal with a stick to control the rpm's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHF-Jdw0eto&list=UUhzboxyxcOHLU7IwZaFWg_A

I began doing this after researching all of the top end product's msds's finding that they all mostly use mineral spirits, fuel, and either NAPHTHA or xylene. This stuff is cheaper by the gallon at Lowe's or the Depot.

I have a cheap Chinese bore-scope, but it does show the reduction of build-up well enough.

I am near doing a remake of that vid ever since coming up with the wand extension rather than the stick.
The problem is that you wont get equal distribution to cylinders 1 and 4, cylinders 2 and 3 get most of the spray.
Your method helps, but its no replacement for a manual removal of the manifold and cleaning.

vlkswgnbgmn66

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Fahrenheit GTI #473
I jsut went ahead and skipped reinstalling that bracket as its not needed and was such a pain to uninstall.

The problem is that you wont get equal distribution to cylinders 1 and 4, cylinders 2 and 3 get most of the spray.

Your method helps, but its no replacement for a manual removal of the manifold and cleaning.

How do you come up with that? If 1 and 4 didn't get much of the spray that would suggest that 1 and 4 don't get as much air as well. This process is used on big V-8's and all the valves get enough spray to be effective. Even if it was slightly less effective, which I don't believe, this does "good enough." I'd rather do this every 10-15k miles then pulling my intake off every 50k. Talk about saving time. And time is money so I'm saving that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
How do you come up with that? If 1 and 4 didn't get much of the spray that would suggest that 1 and 4 don't get as much air as well. This process is used on big V-8's and all the valves get enough spray to be effective. Even if it was slightly less effective, which I don't believe, this does "good enough." I'd rather do this every 10-15k miles then pulling my intake off every 50k. Talk about saving time. And time is money so I'm saving that too.

I came up with that through real world experience, from trying this exact same method with other solvents, to injecting w/m in the TB pipe, to injecting w/m in a TB spacer.
None of those 3 combinations provided the same amount to cylinders 1 & 4 as cylinders 2 &3.

vlkswgnbgmn66

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Fahrenheit GTI #473
Even then, it's minescule the difference.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I believe there is enough distribution. I use 24oz and a nozzle that is fully tightened and sprays a wide fine conical pattern. Certainly due to a directional pattern fluctuation 2 and 3 may receive more but 1 and 4 will pull enough due to their equal volume drawn in and proved by the compression being equal across the board.
Your method helps, but its no replacement for a manual removal of the manifold and cleaning
↑ If it helps, and this keeps me from ever having to do a full manual clean out, it is safe to say that it is a replacement for a manual removal of the manifold and cleaning, IMHO :drinking:

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
you can continue to think that...

I have a TSI motor, run a VTA CC, w/m, and I have STILL cleaned my valves TWICE @ 130k miles.....

vlkswgnbgmn66

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Fahrenheit GTI #473
I believe there is enough distribution. I use 24oz and a nozzle that is fully tightened and sprays a wide fine conical pattern. Certainly due to a directional pattern fluctuation 2 and 3 may receive more but 1 and 4 will pull enough due to their equal volume drawn in and proved by the compression being equal across the board.

↑ If it helps, and this keeps me from ever having to do a full manual clean out, it is safe to say that it is a replacement for a manual removal of the manifold and cleaning, IMHO :drinking:

I'm with you on this one. I still think people like to do more work then they have too.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I'm with you on this one. I still think people like to do more work then they have too.

:thumbsup: I see my resulting bore-scope pics immediately after the process and it always looks good to me.

you can continue to think that...
↑ Well...thank you...I will.
And...I did originally only mention that I, ← and only I, prefer my 15 minute method over the other. http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3749522&postcount=95
I am not wanting to thread-jack, or do a take over, or even provoke any further controversy on the matter. I simply had a feeling, and I posted it, while reading the process of a full dismantle and amount of hands on scraping and such. I will gladly remove myself from this thread...and offer my apologies to TheTroyness for my disruption :drinking:

Last edited: