GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Valve Cleaning DIY

rarredoa

Passed Driver's Ed
If your car is having misfires, knocks, or the ocassional buildup breaking loose and blasting a big cloud of smoke from the exhaust, yes this will help. Performance-wise though, the gains are minimal only if your valves are incredibly cruddy. It'll function the same as when the car was new.

That's kind of what I was hoping for, the car running like it did when it was new. No misfires, or knocks of late. I have done some major maintenance over the past 10k miles such as oil separator valve, fuel filter, all-new coil packs, spark plugs, timing chain... but I still feel like the car's not as fast as when i first got it. Is there turbo maintenance? I only find posts for intercooler and turbo replacements.

That's kind of what I was hoping for, the car running like it did when it was new. No misfires, or knocks of late. I have done some major maintenance over the past 10k miles such as oil separator valve, fuel filter, all-new coil packs, spark plugs, timing chain... but I still feel like the car's not as fast as when i first got it. Is there turbo maintenance? I only find posts for intercooler and turbo replacements.

Aside from using good oil and making sure it's topped off, there's not much else. If you're running the stock airbox, you might need to change the filter if you think the turbo is being robbed of air

rarredoa

Passed Driver's Ed
Aside from using good oil and making sure it's topped off, there's not much else. If you're running the stock airbox, you might need to change the filter if you think the turbo is being robbed of air

I have a K&N filter, that I put in about 15-20K miles ago... i only use mileage as an indicator, 'cause I put a lot of miles on this car, if you haven't notice :biggrin:

I used Royal Purple 0W40. I have been meaning to modify the car a bit, but seems to me like any mods, such as ECS tune or cold-air, will make my car louder, is this true?

I have a K&N filter, that I put in about 15-20K miles ago... i only use mileage as an indicator, 'cause I put a lot of miles on this car, if you haven't notice :biggrin:

I used Royal Purple 0W40. I have been meaning to modify the car a bit, but seems to me like any mods, such as ECS tune or cold-air, will make my car louder, is this true?

CAI just makes sucking noises, no louder engine noise. Tune might be louder at WOT but otherwise, I'd imagine it to be quiet. Mounts wont make the engine "louder" but with stiffer mounts come more vibrations making cabin noise louder.

The only way to really get a louder note is to modify the exhaust.

rarredoa

Passed Driver's Ed
CAI just makes sucking noises, no louder engine noise. Tune might be louder at WOT but otherwise, I'd imagine it to be quiet. Mounts wont make the engine "louder" but with stiffer mounts come more vibrations making cabin noise louder.

The only way to really get a louder note is to modify the exhaust.

I am trying to keep a lower profile when I drive... seems that CAI and a tune is the way to go :biggrin:

defense05

Ready to race!
Quick question. Instead of buying the way to expensive 4" long M10 triple square, can I just use a socket extension with my shorter M10 triple square?

U.G.MKV

Stealth mode
Car(s)
2007 mkv
Quick question. Instead of buying the way to expensive 4" long M10 triple square, can I just use a socket extension with my shorter M10 triple square?
I bought a set of long triple squares that fit in a socket or you can turn with a wrench for 40 bucks. You don't spend a ton to get the right tools.

Natalie

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
If some of the injectors remain in the block can you pull them out by hand and insert them into the intake manifold without the special pulling tool? Seems like most people have at least a few that remain in the block when removing the intake.

Also should I replace the intake orange gasket as well as all of the injector seals?

GTIRaider

Go Kart Champion
If some of the injectors remain in the block can you pull them out by hand and insert them into the intake manifold without the special pulling tool? Seems like most people have at least a few that remain in the block when removing the intake.

Also should I replace the intake orange gasket as well as all of the injector seals?

I would say for sure on the intake gasket, I picked one up at the dealer pretty cheap so it's worth it.

GTIRaider

Go Kart Champion
And as far as pulling injectors out of the block or placing them back in the intake? Special tool necessary?

Yes there is a special tool to remove them, is it necessary? I don't believe so, as it seems they can come out just as you pull the intake manifold off.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/Engine/Fuel/ES261581/

I have yet to do this cleaning so I can't give a knowledgeable answer to if it is needed or if you need the new install kit for the injectors if they do come out.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule

Duct tape the bit to the socket and duct tape the socket to the extension. I do this anytime I do something where the bit or socket might fall off. Got tired of fishing tools out the engine compartment.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
And I'm glad to hear acceleration isn't affected by dirty valves. I sometimes have misfires at idle but as soon as I give it any gas it stops. Verified by VAG-COM.