GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TSI Clutch

Really? May have to do with your Revo settings, highest I have seen on a hot day is 22psi, normally in this cooler weather I peak just shy of 20 and hold 18.

Yeah man I have no idea. I spike 24-26psi (determined via boost gauge), and hold at 17-18 for quite some time. I have this massive rush of boost and torque in the mid-range, hence my slipping clutch.

I have no complaints as of yet. The car pulls like a demon, and doesn't seem to be doing any premature damage from what I can tell. The key is preventative maintenance.

maotsetung

maotsetung ftw!
Yeah man I have no idea. I spike 24-26psi (determined via boost gauge), and hold at 17-18 for quite some time. I have this massive rush of boost and torque in the mid-range, hence my slipping clutch.

I have no complaints as of yet. The car pulls like a demon, and doesn't seem to be doing any premature damage from what I can tell. The key is preventative maintenance.

Damn!!!! I'm thinking about switching to Revo.

ZGTI

Banned
Car(s)
MKV GTI 2009 Black
Uni stage 2 and my clutch slip since 13K now i am on DXD stage 3 endurance and it is great + will help me when i go BT this spring

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
Boost Pressure does not equal Power. Not to mention the variances in boost gauges.

x infinity.... vagcom gets real boost and I'm almost sure its not 24-26 I think were limited to 23 iirc .

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
I have a different theory on the cold weather idea. My clutch was just replaced and I was slipping more in the cold, but I was slipping in the warm too. It's way worse with a car full of people too.

I definitely feel your pain guys. FSI here, but the problem is the same.

I hear what everyone's saying about sliping because of the friction material somehow shrinking and retracting.

but...

I disagree with this theory though.

One second of slip and that friction disc has to be hot as hell, just due to the friction created by the slipping itself (think rubbing your hands together at 3000rpm), not to mention the heat of the flywheel, which is directly connected to the crank, which is immersed in hot oil. So, if the disc was cold, due to the ambient temperature, it's not going to be cold after just a few shifts of the transmission.

I think the real reason we're slipping more in cold weather than in warmer is timing advance and cooler air intake temps. When your intercooler is being cooled with 30 degree air, it's going to cool your intake charge temps considerably when compared to 60 degree ambient temps. Our cars' computers then are able to advance spark timing, thus making more torque. The cooler air alone will also increase torque as it is more dense than warm air (more oxygen per volume).

So yeah, I blame the increased slip in the cold on the car making more power than it does in the warm.

My 2 cent theory anyway.

Not that this helps the fact that our clutches aren't made for 50% more torque than stock. Can't blame anyone here though. You gotta pay to play.

dubbin

All in, All out..
Car(s)
09 GTI
im gonna go with an oem replacement with a sachs stg3 clutch plate.
400whp clamping power, and its a couple hundred $$ cheaper then a SB kit.

dubbin

All in, All out..
Car(s)
09 GTI
hoping to make this happen with in the next couple weeks, ill report back how it feels and all that..

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW GTI MkVI
Sounds like a terrible idea to me... without a stronger pressure plate I don't see how this would make any worthwhile difference.

I wasn't recommending it, I just came across it and thought I should share. I don't know much about clutches, what could be the difference without a stronger pressure plate?