GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Torque mount insert life expectancy?

Slothy

Distrusts the trustworthy
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Is there a general idea on how long these last? I hear they can get pretty chewed up, but beyond appearances more importantly are they still working as intended, or at a reduced effectiveness?

Search turned up rant threads, fitment issues, and VirtualHeretic's post on checking your mounts.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
I wouldn't think the torque mount insert would have any issues unless your pendulum mount somehow came lose and destroyed it.
I have removed my torque mount insert 2 or 3 times and the removal process has screwed it up some but that was self inflicted.

I wouldnt worry about it unless you use that metal torque mount insert, that could potentially destroy the OEM bushing over time.

Slothy

Car(s)
2008 GTI
The part that goes into the subframe, unless I need more coffee.

I wasn't sure if, for example, the material gets softer over time.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
it "breaks in" to a point at which you wont notice as many vibrations, but the ones like pictured above shouldnt degrade very quickly if at all

If anything, the rubber around the insert might wear or tear and reduce the insert's effect on stiffening the mount. I'm not speaking from experience with my car as I haven't checked the condition of my insert or the rubber around it, but I have experienced torn mounts on other cars in which I've used poly inserts.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Inserts are nice, but I would point you to HPA or VWR for a better solution.

Slothy

Car(s)
2008 GTI
If/when it gets replaced, it'll probably be HPA. They're local, and the reviews I remember of puck vs insert all say it's a noticeable improvement.

Thanks for the feedback on this one.