GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

the magic letter "S"

Nataraki

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'92 BMW 318i
Ok so on the way home yesterday about 30 miles drive, I've decided to go "S" mode + spirited driving all the way on my way home and it was the happiest driving moment I've ever had:happyanim:
I'm bone stock at this point with a DSG tranny, and I was wondering if Stage 2 or 2+ would be the same "sensation":thumbsup: I've had yesterday driving in "S" mode? Or is it nowhere close to Stage 2?

dustinwark

Miesian
Car(s)
'07 VW GTI
Ok so on the way home yesterday about 30 miles drive, I've decided to go "S" mode + spirited driving all the way on my way home and it was the happiest driving moment I've ever had:happyanim:
I'm bone stock at this point with a DSG tranny, and I was wondering if Stage 2 or 2+ would be the same "sensation":thumbsup: I've had yesterday driving in "S" mode? Or is it nowhere close to Stage 2?

"S" with stock programing is nowhere near what the car feels like in "D" even with just a Stg1 tune.

Flapenn

2011 Wheel Gap Champion
Sport mode just changes gears more sportier than drive mode. Like downshifting and shifting up to the next gear later And with said you need to do some research about your car.

Nataraki

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'92 BMW 318i
"S" with stock programing is nowhere near what the car feels like in "D" even with just a Stg1 tune.

That's what I thought:thumbsup: I'm just throwing the question out of curiosity. I've been tinkering on going Stage 1 but have been hesitant due to known faults related to it without changing any stock components of the car. But i might have to pull the trigger sooner or later:fighting0030:

STRANGR

Ready to race!

This is exactly why DSG is gay.

Nataraki

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'92 BMW 318i

DarkX

Your Boss :P
Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
That's what I thought:thumbsup: I'm just throwing the question out of curiosity. I've been tinkering on going Stage 1 but have been hesitant due to known faults related to it without changing any stock components of the car. But i might have to pull the trigger sooner or later:fighting0030:
There are no faults related specifically to stage 1. Only fault that will rise up in the future is related to stage 2+ (the + goes for an upgraded high pressure fuel pump) and only if you have a TFSI engine (not the newer TSI engine), it's about the cam follower that is either way prone to fail sooner or later but a hpfp makes it grenade a lot sooner. If you have an eye on it and have it checked every 10k along with the pcv, replace your oil every 5k, also make sure you replace your stock diverter valve (you want OEM revision D which is metallic instead of the piece of crap diaphragm of the other revisions) don't worry it's nothing expensive and should last a lifetime with stock turbo, doing all that which you should be doing anyway regardless.. then you have nothing to worry about. There is nothing else you should replace/upgrade for stage 1 other than the diverter valve and the other things I mentioned are related to maintenance. And remember sky is the limit you can have as many power mods as you like just do it right, car won't explode unless you let it.

thechromecoyote

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE
There are no faults related specifically to stage 1. Only fault that will rise up in the future is related to stage 2+ (the + goes for an upgraded high pressure fuel pump) and only if you have a TFSI engine (not the newer TSI engine), it's about the cam follower that is either way prone to fail sooner or later but a hpfp makes it grenade a lot sooner. If you have an eye on it and have it checked every 10k along with the pcv, replace your oil every 5k, also make sure you replace your stock diverter valve (you want OEM revision D which is metallic instead of the piece of crap diaphragm of the other revisions) don't worry it's nothing expensive and should last a lifetime with stock turbo, doing all that which you should be doing anyway regardless.. then you have nothing to worry about. There is nothing else you should replace/upgrade for stage 1 other than the diverter valve and the other things I mentioned are related to maintenance. And remember sky is the limit you can have as many power mods as you like just do it right, car won't explode unless you let it.

:word: This!

I assume you are going APR, which means that you also have a relatively conservative tune that will service the life of the Turbo and other engine componants.

The DV and PCV will fail even on a stock car. So you should replace them anyways. And the only real expense to going past stage 1 is the fuel pump for our FSI engines.

Stage 1 is amazing, Stage 2 isnt worth it, but Stage 2+ is Stage 1 all over again but MOAR POWAR!!!

... ahem... seriously, go for it

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Car(s)
VW GTI MKVI
That's funny, the other day I revved to 5k and it was an amazing feeling. Now i drive holding the revs at 5k, makes me feel "happy".

You need to stop driving in sport mode and drive that car on down to the APR shop and get stage I. Then come back here and explain how you jizzed your pants on the way home because you didn't believe it was real.

Stage I doesn't hurt anything and if you are in warranty the dealer cannot detect APR anyways. APR you can turn on and off via the cruise control stalk.

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
Stage 1 is not like your S mode bc theres a diff in power output and worth every penny!

Nataraki

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'92 BMW 318i
Thanks for the info guys very much appreciated:thumbsup: I'm just wondering if the OEM rev D DV will be ok if say I decided to go Stage 2 or 2+ after getting Stage 1? Or having that in mind, is it more practical to go with Forge DV now to make it ready for higher stages?

DarkX

Your Boss :P
Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
Thanks for the info guys very much appreciated:thumbsup: I'm just wondering if the OEM rev D DV will be ok if say I decided to go Stage 2 or 2+ after getting Stage 1? Or having that in mind, is it more practical to go with Forge DV now to make it ready for higher stages?
Forge DV or equivalent only if you plan to go BT (big turbo) and that means bigger than K04. OEM D valve is more than enough for K03 and K04 turbos (which is where the vast majority of owners stops). Forge themselves have admitted that OEM D is very much on par with their valve, but personally, I would get their valve if I was to go BT. Nothing wrong with getting it now, sure.. Forge DV is a tank and looks sexy and yeah it's state of the art etc etc just overkill if you plan to stay with K03 or upgrade to K04 and call it a day.