GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TDI SE Build Thread – Slow Paced, Pic Heavy

andy661166

Ready to race!
September 2013

Ok so over the past few weeks I have started on the boot build. Taking it slow, and still changing my mind a lot. But should be done hopefully in around a week.

Started off measuring up.

Then got a 8x4 sheet of MDF and got the base of the enclosure cut and mocked up. (Ended up decided to not use the spare wheel well).

And used the jigsaw to cut the top to size. Top needed a bit more sanding after the test fit, but should get that sorted after the bottom box is all screwed together to make sure i sand it down perfect.

Then measured what size of hole I would need for the subs, and made a template. Then I decided I would mount them on a raised platform.

So measured the mounts out on the MDF and got to work. Sanding is such a pain... Even with an electric sander.

Then done a quick test fit. Really hoping the amp will fit between the back of the box and my rear seats. If not it will have to be mounted on the top with the subs, could ruin the layout. But will probably run the amp down the middle of the two subs rather than horizontally like in the next pic.

So I prefer this if I have to have the sub on top.

Also thinking of some added wood...

andy661166

Ready to race!
26 November 2013

Ok so the boot build hasn't progressed as I haven't had my car for 5 weeks due to a few problems, but that's all sorted now and she is back to her former glory. While I was waiting to get her back I had a few things ordered.

Washed the car with the cirtus wash today using the new mitts and have to say both products were great! Very happy! And then after she was washed and dried I got the stubby aerial on and the new sticker as well! If any of you guys are looking the air fresheners check out this page! They ship internationally!

The rubber on the old aerial was really badly cracked!

And my sticker...

Next on the list is to get a sliding cover cupholder installed, renew the angel eye bulbs on my headlights and finish the boot build!

andy661166

Ready to race!
16 December 2013

Subwoofer box finished and installed. Still need to tidy a few things up and make it look pretty, still tossing a few ideas about on how to do it.

28 December 2013

New washer and coolant caps.

And new sliding cupholder. Pain in the ass having to remove the whole centre console to get this fitted.

09 January 2014

Quick wash and fitted my new blue wing mirror glass.

SeanMk5

Cheers man! I ended up getting it from ebay. It's a genuine VW part from VW China, so it only cost me like a third of the price from a dealer here!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Have you a link by any chance? Think i saw it on ebay the other day, not sure if it can be delivered to ROI though, it was only UK delivery

andy661166

Ready to race!
Have you a link by any chance? Think i saw it on ebay the other day, not sure if it can be delivered to ROI though, it was only UK delivery

I have a spare one in cream if you need a cream one. Just they sent me the wrong one the first time around. I could send it down or depending where you are meet you since I'm around Belfast/Newry. If not I'll get you the link when I get home man!

SeanMk5

Thanks for the offer man appreciate it but my interior plastics are grey so cream wouldn't match Haha oh I'm well down south, about a 7 hour drive from you :p the link will do fine man sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andy661166

Ready to race!

andy661166

Ready to race!
11 January 2014

New pressed aluminium license plates and LED interior kit. The kit isn't fitted yet as the drivers footwell one seems to have the wires all tangled so need to remove the footwell plastics first. But I will get pics up when it's all fitted, they are really bright and look great so far though.

It was also pretty cold last night, so here's some of my frozen beads!

andy661166

Ready to race!
31 January 2014

Ok so last week I decided I had to have new wheels, and I had been on the lookout for 2 or 3 piece wheels for a while. Ended up going for these. Genuine RH ZW3 2-piece wheels finished in 'candy apple red'. The wheels themselves are 8J and 8.5J, so some stagger but not much. Pretty happy with them but they do need some work. Some of the dishes have a few marks, and some stains. Hopefully they should clean up fine with some polish when I get them separated. The centres are in fairly good condition too however they are all chipped around the bolt holes, but I am planning a colour change anyway. But will probably run them how they are for a while anyway, as I am changing car hopefully this month, so need to see what colour I want them to go! :thumbsup: Anyway some pics as always...

Before they were quickly cleaned...

Quick shots against the dirty wagon...

And clean...ish...

As I said these do need a fair amount of tlc, but saving that for a while. Let me know what you guys think. Cheers.

andy661166

Ready to race!
8j et60 + 8.5j et53? tires? will you put it without spacers?

Yeah think thats it, not sure on the tryes haven't really looked yet. Come across a problem though as one wheel isn't holding air. Apparently due to the seal between the barrel and the dish. So need to get that sorted first of all. Anyone else had experience with this? Easy fix?