GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SuperSkyline89's Timeline

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Couple small updates. I didn't like how my car looked without the grille while I was autocrossing or at the track so I cut a hole for the hook and the audio cable for my GoPro.

Then I changed the colour of my grille stripe. I tried spray paint but it didn't work so well. The flat faces of the stripe held the paint but I couldn't get the edges to hold it so I got a strip of some 3M vinyl wrap and it worked pretty well.

Last edited:

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
It's technically too early to have my car back on the road but while sitting at work on Friday I decided I didn't care. It's all plastic underneath and the wheels and brakes will be fine with a quick rinse from the hose so yesterday I put the wheels back on and went for a drive. I'm hoping to start pre-season maintenance and service this week. I emailed HPA on Friday to get info on what to do about my problem with the parking brake being loose. First step is to make sure I have the right cables so I'm hoping I can get my mechanic to pull the cables out this week.

It's going to be another big year for new parts. The general overview is:

1. Interior
- seat
- custom roll bar
- harnesses
- HANS device

2. Suspension
- coilovers
- camber plates
- pull front fenders
- any worn out parts

3. Drivetrain
- clutch
- flywheel
- possibly some internals

If I can get all that done this year my build will slow down considerably from next year onwards. I'm moving to a new house in October (assuming it's built in time) so my financial focus will shift to paying the mortgage.

I was hoping to have the seat ordered already but Recaro hasn't been returning my suppliers calls so that's up in the air. If they don't reply soon I might end up doing the suspension work first.

As for driving plans I'll be doing four track days and autocross every weekend I can get away with. The first track day is on April 18th so there really isn't much time to waste.

Last edited:

whirlspell

Yep, using my first post here to compliment your build. Also, I can echo your prior comments about OSIR Design. They make good stuff, and I have a lot of respect for expert carbon work, but holy smokes does their customer service suck. I ordered nearly a grand worth of product for them, emailed them two weeks later and they hadn't even shipped it or determined which products were in stock. They gave me an excuse about weather delays, but then promptly forgot that they used that excuse and proceeded to blame back orders. A week later I asked them to cancel half the order and ship everything they had in stock. I still haven't received anything and it's been over a month.

I won't be able to justify springing for the center console like you did (it's gorgeous btw) but I would like to do the d-frame and carbon trim pieces to replace the stainless. Also thinking about buying some of their fog surrounds off of eBay to replace my cheap open fogs.

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Nice thread man.
Followed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Mostic

Yep, using my first post here to compliment your build. Also, I can echo your prior comments about OSIR Design. They make good stuff, and I have a lot of respect for expert carbon work, but holy smokes does their customer service suck. I ordered nearly a grand worth of product for them, emailed them two weeks later and they hadn't even shipped it or determined which products were in stock. They gave me an excuse about weather delays, but then promptly forgot that they used that excuse and proceeded to blame back orders. A week later I asked them to cancel half the order and ship everything they had in stock. I still haven't received anything and it's been over a month.

I won't be able to justify springing for the center console like you did (it's gorgeous btw) but I would like to do the d-frame and carbon trim pieces to replace the stainless. Also thinking about buying some of their fog surrounds off of eBay to replace my cheap open fogs.

Thanks man, if you're still having trouble with OSIR try emailing the CEO. His name is Riso Wu, he got OSIR USA to fix the problem with my order within two days of me emailing him. I don't have his email anymore because it's been almost two years since I emailed him but you should be able to find it on a forum, that's how I found it. He's on LinkedIn so if you have a profile you might be able to contact him through there.

whirlspell

Thanks man, if you're still having trouble with OSIR try emailing the CEO. His name is Riso Wu, he got OSIR USA to fix the problem with my order within two days of me emailing him. I don't have his email anymore because it's been almost two years since I emailed him but you should be able to find it on a forum, that's how I found it. He's on LinkedIn so if you have a profile you might be able to contact him through there.

I heard back from them this morning actually, and this time they said that one of their shipments was lost and it would be another two weeks, so I told them to cancel my remaining order and I'd just check in a few weeks and verify they actually had stock of what I wanted. Thanks for the tips!

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Dropped by my mechanic's shop after work on Friday to have the parking brake cables taken out. I had them go a step further and take out the parking brake pads and actuator while they were at it because they were always dragging. It made a huge difference to how my car gets moving off the line so I won't be putting anything back in until I find a way to stop the dragging. I just emailed HPA with the measurements of the cable, as far as I can tell it's a couple inches too long. I also asked about the pads, I'm hoping they can provide pads with less material so they don't drag.

In other news I'm registered for four track days this year. The first is on April 18th so I really don't have time to waste, I have a bunch of maintenance that needs doing before then so the car will be back in the shop soon for that.

As you can see I also have a new sticker. Paul Walker was far from the best or most famous actor in the world but he is the only one that's had the slightest influence on me. I still remember the day I saw 2 Fast 2 Furious in theater, I had never seen a Skyline before and I instantly fell in love with it. Everything about it was so amazing it was burned into my mind and in the years since I've only fallen more in love with it. My choice of wheels was heavily influenced by it and I hope to own an R34 one day. Anyway, Paul was a huge influence on my dreams when I was in school so now that I'm able to make those dreams a reality I thought it was a fitting tribute.

I've also started planning the first upgrades for the year. Recaro is being very uncooperative so I still don't have a price or part number on the seat I'm trying to get my hands on so that's being shelved until I take care of the suspension. So far the plan is:

• KW Variant III coilovers
  • Integrated Engineering Camber Plates
  • Whiteline Anti Lift Kit
  • Rear Sway Bar - undecided on which one
  • replace anything that's worn out or broken
  • flared front fenders

So it won't be long (well, a couple months at least) before my car is finally lower.

edit: I got a reply from my HPA contact a couple minutes ago. I really wasn't expecting a response on a Saturday, he forwarded the info to the HPA R&D department and an engineer at Baer. Hopefully I'll get some sort of update this week.​

Last edited:

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
This past Saturday was my first track day of the year. When I went to my first track day in October I was in the Novice group and my instructor signed me off to go solo for the last session of the day. I had a pretty easy time passing people in that group. This time they moved me up to the Intermediate group and I was signed off by the second session so I spent most of the day driving solo. The intermediate group was mostly E46 M3's, S2000's, and STi's, there was also an R32 GT-R, a Cayman, a 370Z, an SN95 Mustang, and an E60 M5. I managed to pass the 370Z and Mustang and the E60 was very poorly driven, but everyone else was much faster through the corners.

I made good progress throughout the day. I pushed the car a lot harder than last time and I've almost completely stopped trail braking into corners. Playing Forza for a decade ingrained trail braking into my head but my instructor said I could get into trouble if the track is slippery so I'm trying to kick the habit.

Since it was the first track day of the year I wanted to try a new video setup that was low maintenance so I stuck a GoPro to the chin of my helmet. The view is a few inches below eye level so cars directly in front of me get blocked by the dash but otherwise the video is great.

I also posted two short clips to Instagram, one of me being passed by the R32, and the other of an STi and M3 blowing by before the STi does a bit of off roading

https://instagram.com/p/1qqGGbQLhV/?taken-by=superskyline89

https://instagram.com/p/1tsJJnQLma/?taken-by=superskyline89

In other news suspensions upgrades are finally underway. I ordered a set of KW Variant III's and a Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit on Friday. I should have the Anti-Lift Kit this week, and the coilovers next week. I decided not to do sway bars this year because between adjustable coilovers and camber plates I'll have enough to learn about set-up so they'll wait until 2016. While I was talking to my mechanic he pulled this gem out of his toolbox and said that I can have it if I want, he bought it years ago and never ended up using it. Once the parts I ordered so far show up I'm going to order a set of camber plates and a subframe deadset kit and hopefully within a month everything can go on.

Last edited:

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
They do not make or sell the bump steer kit anymore. I think you and I have like 2 of 10 kits that made it out lol

Wow, I didn't know they were that rare. Did they never get past the development stage?

I found it on amazon.com but I am not sure if it will be an added value or not!
I have all white line items for the MKV except the sway bars :)

I can't say how much of a difference it makes personally but I've seen a few threads where people said taking the kit off the car made it feel like crap. Normally I'd say I'll let you know how it makes my car feel once it's installed but I'll have so many new parts I won't be able to tell which one did what.

There are a couple kits on eBay also.

Wheelspin

a great read and nice to see photo's that are sharp and interesting..I used to be a photographer always appreciate people taking time to get a great look

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Thanks Wheelspin, it's great to hear that from an ex-photographer. I'm no pro but I enjoy photography so I'm usually taking half a dozen pictures for each one I actually post.