GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

St. Louis Thread #3

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
I think I need to start working some overtime to pay for this car hobby.
Yuck.

Lol welcome to the game

posted via tapatalk

azier

Passed Driver's Ed
Hard part about living in a small town and having a "professional job" is that working a second job would result in me getting some VERY strange looks.

Though I have thought about doing after hours tech support kind of stuff -- you know, cable boxes, home networks, cleaning up viruses, ZzzzzZzz. Could be good for a little extra cash.

azier

Passed Driver's Ed
Pulled my fuel pump and replaced the cam follower -- wasn't too bad once I went and got a 13mm deep socket and 1/4" drive ratchet instead of trying to remove that schraeder valve with a wrench.

Follower was shiny on the side with a pea sized silver spot in the middle. Looked like it could be okay, but went ahead and replaced it anyway. Sputtered a bit on the first start, after turning the key to prime it for 10 seconds 5 or so times.

I have to say, all the help on these forums have been invaluable -- I'm not as afraid to dig in to the car, though I'm a far cry from doing any major repairs.

TLDR: Thanks!

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
Pulled my fuel pump and replaced the cam follower -- wasn't too bad once I went and got a 13mm deep socket and 1/4" drive ratchet instead of trying to remove that schraeder valve with a wrench.

Follower was shiny on the side with a pea sized silver spot in the middle. Looked like it could be okay, but went ahead and replaced it anyway. Sputtered a bit on the first start, after turning the key to prime it for 10 seconds 5 or so times.

I have to say, all the help on these forums have been invaluable -- I'm not as afraid to dig in to the car, though I'm a far cry from doing any major repairs.

TLDR: Thanks!

Nice, yea if it wasn't for these forums I would have been a lost cause on my old mkv lol

azier

Passed Driver's Ed
Am I the only one on the forums that thinks bagging a car is kind of... silly? over the top? And definitely too expensive? You end up looking at around 5k after labor it looks like... I'd rather buy anti-lift kit, billstein sport/Koni Yellows, and good springs and have enough money left over for a bigger turbo (assuming I had that much, which I don't).

Maybe I've just trolled too many threads that are only about bags and wheels -- I for one am okay with classix as long as the car is fun and fast.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
This is vw
shit dont make no sense

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
Im like herpes :biggrin:

azier

Passed Driver's Ed
Dayum -- okay so level with me my fellow midwesterners, how will this car be through the winter/snow? Also, it's somewhat disconcerting that my console beeps every time it drops below 40deg?

No changes to the car, had about $1k saved up for some suspension in the spring, but made a better decision to pay down some debt. Hopefully I'll still be able to do suspension/exhaust in the spring if I save pennies over the winter.

Cheers