GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Questions about potentially faulty PCV

VDUBNoob

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello all, so I recently got my car back from her 80,000 mile service and the tech said he noticed a bit of oil accumulating in the belly pan. He mentioned the rear main potentially being bad or it could be a bad PCV seal, but before I go the rear main route, I wanted to see what others in my place have done. Should I just buy a replacement PCV seal? I was also looking into the Modular Boost Tap from APR to block off/remove the PCV, is that viable or do I still need the oem PCV system? I appreciate any and all help!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

larcic

Ready to race!
remove your belly pan, if the leak is coming from the gap between your oil pan and transmission then its the rear main seal. if its coming from somewhere else it could be a bunch of things. just remove your belly pan and tell us where its coming from.

VDUBNoob

Passed Driver's Ed
Removed belly pan and it wasn't full of liquid oil, but definitely grimy. I'm also not noticing oil on the ground under the car, so I feel pretty confident that it isnt the rear main -- yet. Even so, would I be safe in assuming that its a ticking time bomb as far as it failing? If thats the case then I will just do a catch can set up and replace the rear main as well.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Removed belly pan and it wasn't full of liquid oil, but definitely grimy. I'm also not noticing oil on the ground under the car, so I feel pretty confident that it isnt the rear main -- yet. Even so, would I be safe in assuming that its a ticking time bomb as far as it failing? If thats the case then I will just do a catch can set up and replace the rear main as well.

When the PCV fails it almost always takes out the rear main with it. So in that regard yes it is a ticking time bomb. Easiest way to check if your PCV has failed is while the car is running, pull the dips tick, if idle changes then your PCV is fine, if there is no change then it has failed. Catch cans are crazy expensive for the TSI but when compared to a rear main or constantly changing PCV's it's a no brainer.

VDUBNoob

Passed Driver's Ed
I'll do that test tomorrow, thanks for the reply! I guess i'll put a CC setup on the list and just wait until I can afford the labor for the rear main. Anything else on the TSI besides rear main thats a guaranteed failure?

VDUBNoob

Passed Driver's Ed
When the PCV fails it almost always takes out the rear main with it. So in that regard yes it is a ticking time bomb. Easiest way to check if your PCV has failed is while the car is running, pull the dips tick, if idle changes then your PCV is fine, if there is no change then it has failed. Catch cans are crazy expensive for the TSI but when compared to a rear main or constantly changing PCV's it's a no brainer.
So I couldn't wait and went out and took a listen... idle speed changed no more and 70-100rpm, is that the PCV or just normal goings on for running w/o a dipstick? Again, thanks for all the help, i'm not sure if these are basic questions but any and all advice is highly appreciated!

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
So I couldn't wait and went out and took a listen... idle speed changed no more and 70-100rpm, is that the PCV or just normal goings on for running w/o a dipstick? Again, thanks for all the help, i'm not sure if these are basic questions but any and all advice is highly appreciated!

If the idle changes to a rougher sound then your PCV is good. I've never actually watched the tac when performing that test but that sounds about right. As long as there is a change in sound you can distinctly here then PCV is ok for now.

There are a few TSI things than can go wrong but the one that will happen indefinitely is the timing chain tensioner. There is no rhyme or reason to it either. I suggest doing the tensioner every 50k. Some people get 100k miles out of the original tensioner, some get 5k. There is a revised tensioner available now that people are having more luck with but they all fail eventually. I'd put that towards the top of your list.

VDUBNoob

Passed Driver's Ed
If the idle changes to a rougher sound then your PCV is good. I've never actually watched the tac when performing that test but that sounds about right. As long as there is a change in sound you can distinctly here then PCV is ok for now.

There are a few TSI things than can go wrong but the one that will happen indefinitely is the timing chain tensioner. There is no rhyme or reason to it either. I suggest doing the tensioner every 50k. Some people get 100k miles out of the original tensioner, some get 5k. There is a revised tensioner available now that people are having more luck with but they all fail eventually. I'd put that towards the top of your list.
Gotcha, ill put the CC on the back burner for now and see if I can't do the timing chain tensioner when I flush the DSG next week.

Last edited: