GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Conti ExtremeContact DWS 18" NOISY

Jayfore

Passed Driver's Ed
I posted to ask for tire recommendations (here) and the DWS seemed to get rave reviews. I balked at first because they were more expensive than the others I was considering, but since they seemed to be a clear favorite (and had high reviews on TireRack) I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I have now had the tires on for a couple of weeks...

The first thing I noticed was that they were very grippy and my ride was smoother. I felt more confident than before, and it was great timing because I knew the snow was coming (and did it ever -- I'm in MI and we just got around 18" in the last several days). Of course, I was replacing the stock Dunlops (on the car since it was new in 2007) with about 35,000 miles on them... So I expected some noticeable improvement in all aspects. The original tires had just begun to get loud and I expected the new rubber to be like tires I had bought for previous cars -- nice and quiet.

That is not the case with these DWS tires... They have a perpetual "growl" to them, even on smooth blacktop. I especially notice it when coasting and slowing down for a light. In looking at the reviews more closely (there are THOUSANDS of them), I scanned some and see that their being noisy is a complaint, but those reviews span all kinds of tire sizes and different vehicles...

Have others noticed that these (I have the 18") tires are especially loud on the GTI? Do you know the "growl" that I'm talking about? Or is this abnormal?

Thank you!

TypeR_126

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
I also replaced the stock tires with the DWS and they were more quiet for me. Markedly so in fact. Any chance your might not be balanced correctly, or your alignment is off?

Jayfore

Passed Driver's Ed
Well, they supposedly did a 4-wheel alignment when the tires were put on... And the tires were all supposed to be balanced. I guess my next step is to call the installation place and see what they say about it. Thanks for the feedback.

k3v0

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
i've knocked off wheel weights when cleaning my wheels before. i was all WTF I JUST GOT THESE BALANCED

Jayfore

Passed Driver's Ed
i've knocked off wheel weights when cleaning my wheels before. i was all WTF I JUST GOT THESE BALANCED

I don't feel any notable vibration in my steering wheel or anything... Like you get, for example, when there is snow or ice stuck in your rims. Could an imbalanced wheel make it "growl" all the time? It's not the thump-thump-thump that I'd expect to hear from something spinning out of whack.

I'll have to take it back to the place that installed the tires and see what they say. I am expecting them to find nothing wrong and say the tires just must be loud because they are engineered to be good in the snow or something.

TypeR_126

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Good point. All my driving is in dry weather (of moderate wet), so the snow/ice in the tread could be a factor in the noise you're getting. Temperature could also be an issue making the rubber less compliant.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Soooooo not trying to be a Debby downer here, but I hated the DWS, practically no grip, was not impressed with performance in the snow, too much sidewall flex in turns. I did not notice excessive noise, but then again between motor mounts, very stiff susspension, and practically straight exhaust, noise/nvh was the least of my concerns.

Jayfore

Passed Driver's Ed
Most people who have had the DWS on this car say these tires were not unusually loud or anything... So I am hoping there is something wrong with either the tire(s) or the install that can (and will) be easily fixed. So far, other than the noise, I like them. They are worlds better than my balding original set -- but I guess that is not a great comparison to make. :)

vlkswgnbgmn66

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Fahrenheit GTI #473
I love my DWS's. Not loud at all after 20k miles

I'd make sure they were installed correctly. There is an "outside" and "inside" to the tires. Usually that's due to the tread pattern and the difference in the compound of the inner and outer contact patches.

Jayfore

Passed Driver's Ed
do rotors and brakes have anything to do with tire/road noise?

I don't believe so -- the sound is consistent when braking, though as the car slows it reduces. This sound existed to some degree with the old tires, but got probably twice as loud with the new set. It is very noticeable and irritating after spending extra money to get these tires over a different type.

kruegernaut

I'm from Detroit, Man...
I ran DWS's for about 24k miles. I didnt notice any excessive noise, but I wasnt listening for it really. I put them on at 40k miles replacing stock. Out here in Seattle we dont get a lot of snow, but sometimes we do, and lots of rain of course. I felt the traction was an upgrade from stock. Performance was ok. The sidewalls were slightly gushy. With the suspension upgrades I have now, I probably wont go back to them. The reason I only got 24k out of them was I hit a nasty pot hole (in the dark I couldnt see it), and I blew out a sidewall. I was bummed because I think I could have gotten another 10k out of them. Oh well... I despise the tires I have now (Toyo Proxes 4+), and cant wait to get rid of them, but I need to get a bit more use first to get my money out of them. Upon much research I too have decided the Michelin AS 3's will be the way to go. If your DWS's are brand new and you got them at Discount Tire or some place like that, they will most likely let you exchange them for something else if you havent put too many miles on them. It would be worth a call. I think the Michelin's are similar price ~190ish per corner + installation.