GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Conti ExtremeContact DWS 18" NOISY

Jayfore

Passed Driver's Ed
I ran DWS's for about 24k miles. I didnt notice any excessive noise, but I wasnt listening for it really. I put them on at 40k miles replacing stock. Out here in Seattle we dont get a lot of snow, but sometimes we do, and lots of rain of course. I felt the traction was an upgrade from stock. Performance was ok. The sidewalls were slightly gushy. With the suspension upgrades I have now, I probably wont go back to them. The reason I only got 24k out of them was I hit a nasty pot hole (in the dark I couldnt see it), and I blew out a sidewall. I was bummed because I think I could have gotten another 10k out of them. Oh well... I despise the tires I have now (Toyo Proxes 4+), and cant wait to get rid of them, but I need to get a bit more use first to get my money out of them. Upon much research I too have decided the Michelin AS 3's will be the way to go. If your DWS's are brand new and you got them at Discount Tire or some place like that, they will most likely let you exchange them for something else if you havent put too many miles on them. It would be worth a call. I think the Michelin's are similar price ~190ish per corner + installation.

Are these the Michelin A/S 3 tires that you're referring to? X/Y speed rating?

There is also the Bridgestone RE970AS Pole Position that I'd consider as a second option if there is something wrong with the DWS or something.

I'm gonna try to stop over at the tire installer in a little bit to see what they say about this droning noise.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
It's not your wheel bearings is it? Are you sure you're not just hearing typical performance tire noise?

Tapatalkin

razr

+50 hp spark plugs
I have probably the exact same noise as OP but I never wanted it make a thread about it. its very noticeable when coming to a stop.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
My DWSs are wearing well but now make an annoying BRBRBRBBBBBBBBBBB!!! sound that sounds like a cross between gear whine and the Jetsons' family car. It's pretty irritating. These tires wear like iron and have decent traction all around, plus good ride quality, but I'm not a huge fan by any means. Probably will not purchase again.

Jayfore

Passed Driver's Ed
To me it sounds like a noise being made from tire contact with the road. I hear it most at about 40 mph on a smooth road, and then as I brake to slow down for a light. I went to the shop today and it would have been more than an hour before anyone could even take the car for a ride to listen, so I had to make an appointment for Monday morning.

Someone in this thread suggested that maybe the tires were mounted wrong... I asked about this and one of the tire guys pointed out that each tire has "OUTSIDE" written on it, so as long as that is facing out you're fine. That is facing out on all four tires, but what struck me was that the tread pattern is different on driver and passenger sides. I assume this is true for everyone, and the tire guy said it made no difference, but how strange! All you DWS owners out there, are yours like this too?

Below is the driver side, front is at the left. Notice the channels, as they go from front of car to back they go from the inside to the outside of the tire.

Below is the passenger side, front is at the right. Notice the channels, as they go from front of car to back they go from the outside to the inside of the tire. I would have expected the tread pattern to look similar to the other side of the car.

When you buy a set of these tires, do you get 2 tires intended for driver side and 2 tires intended for passenger side? Or are all four identical? To me it seems like these tires are all intended for one side of the car and the tread pattern is not reversed when you compare driver to passenger tire. Of course, I'm not sure this would cause them to be loud, but it sure seems strange.

Is this how it's supposed to be?

Thank you all for the replies! I am learning.

Jayfore

Passed Driver's Ed
I ran them for 10k then got Michelin such a better tire

A/S 3? Those are at least $20 more per tire but if they are way better that seems worth it. I want to say there was a rebate on these until the end of the year but I went with the DWS based on very strong recommendations for those. I had not seen any negative posts about them. I am hoping this noise is an easy fix, because otherwise I like the tires so far.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
They are asymmetrical tires...not like directional. You are expecting mirror image, which are directional. The outside does a different job than the inside, it's normal.
I also say a wheel bearing may be on it's way but it could just be tire noise.

NavyGTI

My old truck with bf rugged terrains were quieter then the DWS. Its loud. Night and day difference from DWS to A/S3

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Jayfore

Passed Driver's Ed
My old truck with bf rugged terrains were quieter then the DWS. Its loud. Night and day difference from DWS to A/S3

Damn, wish I had known this before I bought them -- they get such good ratings and most say they love these tires. With them being so loud I would never be able to say I love these tires, no matter how great the other characteristics may be. Driving my car, it sounds like I bought the cheapest, no-name tires on the market. I'm sure I'll start to tune it out but I hate to spend this much money for something that will irritate me for the next 5+ years (I bought my car new in '07 and have less than 35k on it)...

I'll hope that the tire shop will let me pull these off and exchange them for the Michelins -- especially since they cost more. Not holding my breath.

kruegernaut

I'm from Detroit, Man...
I wish I only had 35k miles on my car... :) That link you posted for the Michelin's, yep those are it! Let us know how it goes.

NavyGTI, Glad to hear real world opinion/confirmation on the A/S3's. I am anxious to try them. Maybe next winter.

U.G.MKV

Stealth mode
Car(s)
2007 mkv
I had a growl after installing my NT 555's and it turned out to be a bad rear wheel bearing. You might want to check that out.

mngti83

I have personally have had no issues with the tire being loud or noisy but I do have issues with the tire in snow. I don't mean to hack your thread but is it me or am i missing something about this tire and the traction in snow. I live in MN and given we have had quite a bit of snow here this season my issues had been more or less when we get the "dusting" and small amounts of snow. The traction is not there,i cant get grip on corners and at a stop light/sign i sit and spin. I don't drive like a bat outta hell either. Anyone else have a not so great experience with these tires in snow?