GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need help while changing Cam follower

aeronaticaa

Ready to race!
The worst part of this is all was the last owner neglected it (he was an older man late 50s)

When i first bought the car i replaced the cam follower the same week the one i took out was shot which i could blame for the damage. I wasn't aware of this issue until i bought it i was excited about the condition and price.

The current repairs are way out of my budget (im still in college) the car runs fine my two options are either trade it in while i can or let it sit in my garage until i save enough to fix it.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
What year is your car and what is the mileage? Certain years had a 110k mile extended warranty on the intake cam and HPFP. There's a chance you could get that covered by VW.

Cams aren't hard to do on these cars, you could probably find an indy shop and get it done for around $700. Worse pills to swallow and for less than a grand you have the number one issue with the FSI fixed and starting fresh.

YBRmuggsLP21

Passed Driver's Ed
You can't really be upset at the previous owner for not changing the cam follower.

It's a stupid problem that no one really knows about unless you go on GTi forums.

5aprilc

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
It could always be worse. You could have the TSI engine and have shit loads of problems all the time. I don't mind having to change my follower every 10K miles.

That's once a year with the amount that I drive.

YBRmuggsLP21

Passed Driver's Ed
I first changed my cam follower with 60k on the car and there were basically no signs of wear. I'll probably revisit/replace it again around 90-100k.

aeronaticaa

Ready to race!
What year is your car and what is the mileage? Certain years had a 110k mile extended warranty on the intake cam and HPFP. There's a chance you could get that covered by VW.

Cams aren't hard to do on these cars, you could probably find an indy shop and get it done for around $700. Worse pills to swallow and for less than a grand you have the number one issue with the FSI fixed and starting fresh.

its a 2007
Im way over the KM/MILE mark, the car is 10 years old and the warrently is 10 years maybe they can cover it im gonna give give it a shot!

update, i called they said only coverage is the cam follower no HPFP etc.