GOLFMKV

NASA ST MKV Build

RalleyTuned

Car(s)
Audi A3
The car looks fantastic! watching closely to see how it does on track

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
I dig it! Nice to see a proper built racecar on here finally.

LilRaverBoi

Optometrist Prime
Don't worry Das...we like your build too!

TheThreeFitty

The Anti-stance
Car(s)
MKV GTI, 987 Cayman
Well I guess it is time for an update from last year.

So been a pretty busy winter with work, taking care of the house, getting engaged and planning a wedding, and getting the car ready for this season.

Over the winter I worked to take another ~75 lbs out of the car. With driver we are down to 2870-2900 race ready depending on fuel load. Some trimming of panels (gutted hatch), lexan on all windows except the front, reworking the splitter, removing the muffler, etc took the weight down. There is still more weight to be had with different brakes, spindles, control arms, wheels and battery. As it sits my min weight post race is 2857 so I want to leave a little margin for fuel usage if it gets thirstier than I estimate.

Other work to the car this winter was new belts, re-plumbing the brake ducts, the usual full fluid changes. The new CSF rad is a great looking piece, fits great, no leaks.

I also installed a set of DCT60 Hawks, I have been running Carbotec XP24's but had a set of 60's and hawk contingency is hard to pass up running nasa.

Finally updated the tires to maximize for the class. So a brand new set of 275/35R17 Hoosier R7's are mounted and ready for action.

Anyway, the plan was to run the first event of the year last weekend at Mid Ohio which didn't happen. On the way out to the race about 1.5 hours in I had a catastrophic wheel bearing failure on the race trailer. I had just checked them and regreased them that morning and found no issues. I believe leaving the fuel station 2 miles before a tight corner side loaded the bearing and it was downhill from there. I carry spare bearings but this went quick enough for me to not stop in time and the spindle was damaged past the point of repair. So the car was unloaded and flat bedded home. While I towed the trailer unloaded on 1 axle home. Parts are on their way and the next event is at Pitt Race 1st weekend of June. I'm very excited to run the full course now with the north track having fresh pavement. Last time I was there it was a monsoon running in the chump car and 45 degrees out. Pretty miserable.

In other news the soon to be wifes 13 TDI Golf is getting bought back and we just scored a brand new '15 Sportwagen SEL TDI with lighting package to replace it. Very nice quiet smooth car.

Any way I'll throw some pictures up when i get them off the phone to share.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
That is the first review of the csf radiator that I've seen, glad it was a good one. How does it compare to the stock unit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheThreeFitty

The Anti-stance
Car(s)
MKV GTI, 987 Cayman
Its a good bit larger than the stock rad. The end tanks and welds looked really good. Ill see if i have some old pictures of when I installed it back in the winter. I had them side by side to compare.

joesmkv

Passed Driver's Ed
Its a good bit larger than the stock rad. The end tanks and welds looked really good. Ill see if i have some old pictures of when I installed it back in the winter. I had them side by side to compare.

I went to put mine in this weekend, and noticed that if I were to introduce the new CSF unit that I would end up pushing the fans too close to the throttle body inlet pipe. Going to have to see if maybe the fans were replaced with incorrect units at one point, or what else I can do to get the fans to be sunk in more.

Do you have any more details on the install?

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Just had to one up me. I was so excited to run 265's and here you go with 275's. We may or may not be heading to Pitt race for the same date! Depends on cash flow once we get closer and we're running Grattan on May 27th, would be super easy to just keep rolling over to Pitt race. You should come run Grattan with us!

TheThreeFitty

The Anti-stance
Car(s)
MKV GTI, 987 Cayman
Hahah been running 275's now since the rebuild after the accident so about 2.5 years now...

No go for Grattan for me. I'll be running practice with another chump car team that Friday helping them with some suspension set up @ the Glen. FC RX7's with a LS swap and Aero running EC. Should be a fun car.

Anyway the new Pitt race is insane. Awesome facility they are investing a ton of money in. The elevation is awesome. Very fun track now. And all is brand new pavement as well. By that weekend they will have a few races on it so it should be good and sticky.

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
Hahah been running 275's now since the rebuild after the accident so about 2.5 years now...

No go for Grattan for me. I'll be running practice with another chump car team that Friday helping them with some suspension set up @ the Glen. FC RX7's with a LS swap and Aero running EC. Should be a fun car.

Anyway the new Pitt race is insane. Awesome facility they are investing a ton of money in. The elevation is awesome. Very fun track now. And all is brand new pavement as well. By that weekend they will have a few races on it so it should be good and sticky.

I'd be kinda upset to run in a race with an LS swapped FC, sounds like a recipe for a bit of a dangerous speed differential. :iono:

Ever consider running AER? I've been having a lot of fun running with them so far.

TheThreeFitty

The Anti-stance
Car(s)
MKV GTI, 987 Cayman
I'd be kinda upset to run in a race with an LS swapped FC, sounds like a recipe for a bit of a dangerous speed differential. :iono:

Ever consider running AER? I've been having a lot of fun running with them so far.

Totally agree with that. I don't run with the team and I have talked to them about how running an EC car in chump is dumb and unsafe, not to mention no competition. But they are stubborn. They are just looking for some setup help. "The car gets beat through every corner" are their words... I'm unsure if its set up driven, amateur drivers (non have any formal track training), or probably a combination of both. But fast car and not much skills kinda scares me about chump and drove me away from the series in general. Felt too unsafe for my preferences. I dont like people thinking its a dirt track and throwing stupid moves, being unpredictable, hard bumping into/through corners and just general overdriving for no reason.

Running with NASA has been a different world. Love it.

I agree AER looks awesome. If I could get a good team together I would love to take my GTI there or build something else. But as of now enjoying running solo and not worry about getting a team together to work.

Yesterday my old chump team just listed the car for sale. If anyone is looking. https://erie.craigslist.org/cto/6111742657.html Can work out delivery or any of that if anyone is interested. Another guy owns the craigslist ad but people can reach out to either.

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
Totally agree with that. I don't run with the team and I have talked to them about how running an EC car in chump is dumb and unsafe, not to mention no competition. But they are stubborn. They are just looking for some setup help. "The car gets beat through every corner" are their words... I'm unsure if its set up driven, amateur drivers (non have any formal track training), or probably a combination of both. But fast car and not much skills kinda scares me about chump and drove me away from the series in general. Felt too unsafe for my preferences. I dont like people thinking its a dirt track and throwing stupid moves, being unpredictable, hard bumping into/through corners and just general overdriving for no reason.

Running with NASA has been a different world. Love it.

I agree AER looks awesome. If I could get a good team together I would love to take my GTI there or build something else. But as of now enjoying running solo and not worry about getting a team together to work.

Yesterday my old chump team just listed the car for sale. If anyone is looking. https://erie.craigslist.org/cto/6111742657.html Can work out delivery or any of that if anyone is interested. Another guy owns the craigslist ad but people can reach out to either.

Yeah, we've had good luck with our car in Chump so far, but it was an EC car as well, not because it was too fast, but because the parts on it were too nice :smile:. We just made the switch to AER for their Road Atlanta event, and just did Watkins Glen, great series so far. We're still planning on possibly running a few Chump races (mostly the 24 hour race at VIR). Endurance racing is a whole other animal. I don't know much about NASA, but I'm assuming you're running sprint races with the GTI?