GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My MKV GTI build thread

Justin Fox

Ready to race!
Giuseppe. I bought the dash pod off a mate who didn't have instructions for it. I emailed NewSouth and they sent me some via email so perhaps send them a mail?

PS: It rattles a little (personally I don't mind it as my car's making a lot more noise than when it was stock!) so when you do get around to installing it be sure to jam some felt, or something similar between it and your dash plastics.

Justin Fox

Ready to race!
Dropped in to Top One Auto today to get the Rieger lip installed.

Old lip was pretty scratched up considering how high the lip was off the ground.

Test fitting, fit is pretty damn good!

Kit came with all screws, rivets and brackets.

Excuse all the silicone spray, needs a wash, but you get the idea.

I'm now scraping on everything. Speed humps and even my own driveway (which I've never had an issue with before). Love it! (haha).

Zach L

VR junkie
So you're currently running the 20mm spacers in the front and 10.5mm in the rear, correct?

How much camber are you running front and rear?

Last edited:

lawn mower

Banned
I'm now scraping on everything. Speed humps and even my own driveway (which I've never had an issue with before). Love it! (haha).

too bad it's because you now have a huge ugly snowplow lip and not that your car is low /hater mode

other than the lip i like the car, has a nice preformance look to it, just hate the lip :lol:

Justin Fox

Ready to race!
100% guys. I've never set out to please people with my builds. In fact quite the opposite. I'm sure a LOT of people out there think I'm an idiot for stripping the car, or choosing to do that to a 4 door... or putting Japanese goods on a German car. It's 100% each to their own and there's every type of person out there so what I do is bound to rub a few people up the wrong way :)

Regarding the lines. I'm not the first to get a Rieger lip and people that have gotten one in the past always came up against the same comments regarding the lines not being right/out of whack. I am 100% with you, and them on it. It looks ugly IMHO and that's exactly why I like it!!! HAHA. Maybe I need a MASSIVE GT wing at the back to further disrupt the lines! :lol:

Some of my inspiration:

Check the lines.

Aero catch positioning might dictate how I have to place mine as the bonnet is not flush.

I need moar low!

ILLMK5

chillin not illin
I like the lip mate, yea sure it might not blend too much with the rest but having your car look like everybody else's is even worse. Be unique, be different :thumbsup: Especially if you have the money to..haha

I like how the car looks on this one. Just chilling among everybody with its new lip and jdm goodies. :cool:

Last edited:

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
100% guys. I've never set out to please people with my builds. In fact quite the opposite. I'm sure a LOT of people out there think I'm an idiot for stripping the car, or choosing to do that to a 4 door... or putting Japanese goods on a German car. It's 100% each to their own and there's every type of person out there so what I do is bound to rub a few people up the wrong way :)

Regarding the lines. I'm not the first to get a Rieger lip and people that have gotten one in the past always came up against the same comments regarding the lines not being right/out of whack. I am 100% with you, and them on it. It looks ugly IMHO and that's exactly why I like it!!! HAHA. Maybe I need a MASSIVE GT wing at the back to further disrupt the lines! :lol:

I think it looks fine. Question is, what does it do to handling/stability at high speed (>100 mph)?

If you add the Reiger side skirts it will balance the look out more.

4 door power all the way baby!

Gabriel

Passed Driver's Ed
Cheers guys for all the feedback and advice. All taken on board! :)

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've got a new lip which I've yet to install. I've also just had the brakes looked at and will be going solid rotors (on order) which apparently will outlast the floating rotors in any case (interesting).

Re: Suspension I've been looking into KW Clubsports but the deal I had going might have fallen through. I love the dampening on these CROSS Coilovers though so I've decided I want to fix them.

Re: Skirts on the white GTI above are OSIR.

Re: UNIbrace. I can hear the difference going into and out of my driveway everyday. Where there were once creaks from flex there isn't any now. Can't say it's a radical difference though, more like putting a strut brace on a car as opposed to a roll cage (which makes a world of difference!).

Re: Comparing the GTI to other Japanese cars = Can of worms! I've owned and tracked so many great modified cars, funnily enough the car the Golf most resembles on a track is my old Alfa 147. European cars and Japanese cars are like apples and oranges.

The Golf is super solid, even opening and closing a door on the Golf gives you a sense of safety and quality. The interior on the Golf is a nice place to be too whereas the interior plastics in Japanese cars look and feel cheap.

Image wise the Golf is so much more invisible on the streets than say a DC2R, DC5R, MX5 or EVO. Less attention, less people want to race you.

The Golf, even modified, feels very heavy in the corners in comparison to a modified EG Civic, or even my old Jazz with K20A engine swap, S2000, MX5, EVO, DC2R, you name it. Most of the cars I've owned felt better on a track (even a bog standard MR2 had 100 times better turn-in than the GTI), but in the end of the day the Golf makes for a great daily driver, even with semis and a stripped out interior! The DSG gearbox is fun and easy to live with and the car is responsive. Boost kicks in early like an EVO (whereas my GT-R is a lag monster).

I suppose for me right now it's more about compromise. It's a car I can track but also drive on the street in track trim without copping too much attention. Where I sometimes felt embarrassed to be seen in the Jazz/Fit (despite having a K20 engine swap), or in a white DC2R with white wheels and a big wing I feel confident in the Golf. IE: Image wise I think it's easier to live with. The DSG gearbox is a huge plus too as it's my daily driver.

PS: My other car is a GT-R. It's been modified in a similar fashion. Which car would I rather daily? The GTI of-course. Which car would I rather track? Well the GT-R but it's a different experience. In the GTI I can drive at 8/10ths pretty comfortably. In the GT-R I shit my pants a fair bit. It's a different game completely. Sometimes you have more fun out there on an underpowered car than something you have to wrestle with, probably explains why go-karts are so fun! :)

I just saw your car featured on Speedhunters today and I remembered I saw it before on here.

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2011/03/02/car-feature-gt-gt-justin-fox-s-r32-gt-r.aspx

Justin Fox

Ready to race!
Yeah I've only JUST read that! Freaky read in some ways as Charles seems to know more about the car than I do! The bit where he mentions the phone call, that sent a shiver down my spine as I clearly remember that night...I was in a strange mood, down, desperate and in need of some good advice. Good thing that Charles gave me some GREAT advice and the Gt-R is still with me, and hopefully will be with me until I die :)

Justin Fox

Ready to race!

My GT-R mechanic Indy's GT-R and my GTI.

Still sorting out replacement rotors. Word of advice, never ever ever go the same brembo kit as I have. Brembo has refused to acknowledge that there's anything wrong with the kit despite having multiple reputable professionals advise me that the rotors aren't designed for track work. Worst thing is I can't use ap rotors with these calipers unless I get custom hats made up, shit just got ridiculous.

Mariach

FIA F1 World Champ..to be
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI DSG

My GT-R mechanic Indy's GT-R and my GTI.

Still sorting out replacement rotors. Word of advice, never ever ever go the same brembo kit as I have. Brembo has refused to acknowledge that there's anything wrong with the kit despite having multiple reputable professionals advise me that the rotors aren't designed for track work. Worst thing is I can't use ap rotors with these calipers unless I get custom hats made up, shit just got ridiculous.

Check out Adams Rotors, he makes replacement Brembo stuff.

Also.. dealing with Brembo... don't forget your dealing with italians. We never admit to being wrong. EVER. ie. Ferrari's 458 would catch fire randomly. Ferrari's excuse, " It's the driver".