GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My MKV GTI build thread

Justin Fox

Ready to race!
No rubbing at all dude :)

Update (finally). Got to Top One Auto at 10AM this morning and spotted this thing outside.

Budi's Autotechnik Tuning Honda Odyssey. I'm sure the drop is coming.

This S2K gets more trackcore every time I see it.

Drivers side front CROSS coilover - end link tab had snapped clean!

New KW Clubsports imported by EVL Motorsports. My heart sank a little when I saw how tall the Clubsport's were. Just looking at them in comparison to the CROSS I could tell they were not going to be able to go as low as the CROSS.

Stock vs shorter KW end link. I'd bought some stock end links (new design too by the looks of it, beefier than the 2006 end links I had originally) from VW as last time I cut ahd shortened my stock ones to replace the snapped CROSS ones. Turns out there were new shorter end links in the KW Clubsport box of goodies, very cool.

I love camber :)

Thick and chunky KW end link tab.

Very thin and broken CROSS tab.

Clubsport compression adjustment.

Thanks to a heads up from my mate Sam I bought these new 330x28mm RB rotor rings and fasteners to replace my cracked Brembo 328mm rotors, luckily for me they fit perfectly despite the 2mm difference.

All installed, need more camber and new tyres (Monday) and wheel alignment after that.

Race Fuel at Indy's. I then dropped into IS Motor Racing to say G'day to Indy and a mate Dave.

Dave's EG Civic, old school Mugen rims and fresh Porsche GT3 Red paint.

Dave wanted Indy to install a set of DC2R pedals for him. Indy said fuck you, do it yourself. DIY! LOL so Dave got busy and I project managed (hehe).

My driveway is pretty smooth and low, even so I scrape the front lip every time, not to mention cocking a leg up :)

Car. is. always. dirty...

I also replaced the rear Green Stuff pads with Ferodos. Check them out, crazy crumble!

Report: I've set front and rear as low as it will possibly go. The rear appears lower than with the CROSS but the front is definitely higher (sad face). Visually the front needs more camber though so maybe that will even things out, if not I might raise the rear a little, we'll see.

Dedy test drove the car after installing everything and he said the ride was bumpy. Alignment is off, and settings for the KW's are at factory (whatever that is?!) but on the way home I thought the ride was firm, but I didn't mind the feeling at all. It doesn't feel crashy, unlike PSS10's the springs feel matched to the dampers. Hitting small bumps feels sharp as opposed to the much softer edge I had dialed in on the CROSS. It's going to take me some time to play around with the settings. I'll save that for after a wheel alignment next week.

Also, regarding noise: I've read and heard of people mention that these coilovers (the tops) make noise. I can report no noise at all right now. Will keep an ear out.

Rotors: Need more bedding in but they came to life after doing some short 70-0 stops, really grabby and best of all the loud and annoying ticking noise from the old floating rotors has completely gone (I hope it never comes back!).

Tyres (Neova's) next week, track day on the Queen's B'day in a few weeks. I'm chuffed :)

Last edited:

garag7

Ready to race!

I need moar low!
Very nice...
what are those wheels?, look like the 18" CH's with out caps but I'm not sure, I guess something different

Last edited:

Justin Fox

Ready to race!
Cheers guys, an update, but again, one of those bad bad days.

Fresh ADVAN Neova rubber. Probably one of the sexiest tread patterns on any semi so far!

Tucking at the back, sticking out at the front.

Mexican. Sitting on -1.5 degrees camber instead of the -2 it was at before. I need to adjust camber plates to dial in more camber, unfortunately I can't reach the camber plates though!!! Grr!!!! Looks like I'll have to do some cutting in order to reach the camber tops.

The new ADVAN Neova's are a little wider at 235's instead of the R888's 225's (to meet load rating). I had massive dramas with the tyre install and alignment place, they ripped off my front bumper getting my car down from their alignment machine, what's worse was when they were trying to fix the front bar back into place they damaged the paint as they used a huge screwdriver to leverage the bar back into place, with no cloth to protect the paint... by the time I noticed what they were doing it was too late and my bumper is now misaligned next to the guard. All they could say was "what a pain in the ass". I won't mention any names as it's not my style. All I know is that I should have gone with my gut, which was to take it to Doug at Heasmans (alignment place) like I always have.

I'm currently rubbing like a mofo front and back as they wouldn't do what it takes to adjust my front camber plates but I'm booked in with Doug at Heasman's tomorrow for some of his magic loving. I'll get Dedy at Top One (my mechanic) to massage my front bar back into place too. The magic men, what would I do without them!

garag7

Ready to race!
not sure what they are but they aren't CH's
Sorry Justin I know is your build thread, but may be these?

I've just seen your pic up, and I'm not sure...it's similar also...

Last edited:

Justin Fox

Ready to race!

Pre-alignment, rears were tucking in quite a lot.

Yesterday the guys at Heasmans cut off my strut tops/cups so that we can easily reach the camber plates. Again, it's just another "road block" that suggests the MKV Golf was never made to be a race car (not hating, just saying).

Not my pic, but as you can see the little little hole on top of the cup is nowhere big enough to allow us to get in there to adjust the camber plates.

Cut off and painted. Heasmans did an absolutely first class job on this one. I'm so happy with the finish, it's so clean it looks OEM!

The alignment in the previous picture was -1 front and -3.5 rear (-3.5 one side and 3 on the other?!?!). On my old Cross/R888 set-up it was -2 front -3 rear. This time I decided to try and flatted out the rear a little and for -2 all around.

This has brought the rear up a little, rear tyres aren't tucking under the guards now, but the tyre is ever so slightly rubbing the liner (well I think it's the liner, not the guard). The weighty front steering is back now that there's more camber up front but the fronts at -2 do rub on mid corner bumps... that's a bit of a worry as I'm potentially going to mangle the guards when hitting ripple strips on the track, we'll see on Monday's track day I suppose!

Justin Fox

Ready to race!
Another small update:

The guys on the VWGolf.net.au forums organised a huge group buy (30 people) on a Sprint Booster which is basically one of those gadgets that sit between your accelerator pedal and the ECU. It increases the signal and basically gets you to WOT quicker than the OEM set-up. IE: You don't need to press the pedal down as far in order to get to WOT.

I'm not a fan of these kind of gadgets, but I was up for trying it as it was fairly cheap ($260) and I figure if I didn't like it I'd put it on SUGA's car, or sell it easily enough.

The Sprint Booster (below) just plugs in between the factory plug and the accelerator pedal. It's silly easy and quick to just bung it in there. The little thing above is the remote controller which I've hidden in my drivers side mini glove box (but you can just set your mode then detach it if you like). Red light is for red mode (most aggressive mode), green light for less aggressive but better than stock and press the button once again the light goes off and you're back to stock mode).

Install was easy. I just had to unplug this plug behind the accelerator pedal (used a screwdriver for leverage).

And here you can see the Sprint Booster plugged in between and the remote control cable plugged into the sprint booster hanging loose. I've zip tied it up nicely since but I think I'll leave it in red mode and just remove the controller all-together.

Review: http://www.vwgolf.net.au/showthread.php?4484-Sprint-Booster-Review-Thread

wizzo

Ready to race!
Love your car, seems like ur car is build for track purpose.. Doesn't being lowered that much really hurt handling? I kept my car practically at stock height for that reason.. (Stock euro height :D)

Justin Fox

Ready to race!
Love your car, seems like ur car is build for track purpose.. Doesn't being lowered that much really hurt handling? I kept my car practically at stock height for that reason.. (Stock euro height :D)

Definitely a worthy question.

The car is not built for the track, it's my daily driver. It's just that over the years I've become really fond of track cars both from a functional point of view as well as aesthetic.

I've modified a LOT of cars in the past and most of them have been track inspired. For example: I don't think I've ever put heavier wheels on a car for looks.

I'm not sure it's hurting handling. I've been out on the track a fair few times with the GTI this low and the car feels very planted, in fact too planted and that explains why I'm going for less camber in the rear this time around.

I do think that raising it up an inch might provide a little more useful travel, but I'm a sucker for looks as well (being honest here!).