GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ME & MY MKV Build! (Fun, Tough & Cost)

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW Scirocco
MKV BPY engine damage!

It was long time and I didn't update the thread.
Unfortunately, the engine has been damaged due to work down in the cylinder head and oil low pressure!
Apart from that as I really disappointed because the car was running perfect before I decide to do the Cylinder head upgrade!

Anyway, I ordered a new Mahle 83mm pistons to be used with my IE Tuscan rods and new Rod & Main bearings. I will also install all the aftermarket cylinder head parts. I will use that in the short block I will buy within this week.
It is gonna be fresh engine rebuild again!

I want to know what is the right/correct dimension of the block after doing the required overbore and hone in order to install the Mahle 83mm pistons?
Is it gonna be separate dimension for overbore and separate dimension for hone?

Also, what is the right oil to be used in the break in process after building the engine in the initial start?
How long I should keep it?

Sorry for the lots of questions, but I still have more.
Thanks in advance.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Sorry to hear about your engine. A good machine shop should bore the block, honing is pretty easy. You just want to scuff the walls for the new rings to seat properly. I would use a conventional oil for break in, change it for synthetic around 500 miles. There are more tips and tricks out there but these have worked for me.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
It was long time and I didn't update the thread.
Unfortunately, the engine has been damaged due to work down in the cylinder head and oil low pressure!
Apart from that as I really disappointed because the car was running perfect before I decide to do the Cylinder head upgrade!

Anyway, I ordered a new Mahle 83mm pistons to be used with my IE Tuscan rods and new Rod & Main bearings. I will also install all the aftermarket cylinder head parts. I will use that in the short block I will buy within this week.
It is gonna be fresh engine rebuild again!

I want to know what is the right/correct dimension of the block after doing the required overbore and hone in order to install the Mahle 83mm pistons?
Is it gonna be separate dimension for overbore and separate dimension for hone?

Also, what is the right oil to be used in the break in process after building the engine in the initial start?
How long I should keep it?

Sorry for the lots of questions, but I still have more.
Thanks in advance.

All dimensions and a list of assembly tips are supplied in printed doc in box with pistons. The exception being the piston to cylinder. That measurement is found in the Application Guide.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Pamphlet that comes with your Mahle pistons

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW Scirocco
Sorry to hear about your engine. A good machine shop should bore the block, honing is pretty easy. You just want to scuff the walls for the new rings to seat properly. I would use a conventional oil for break in, change it for synthetic around 500 miles. There are more tips and tricks out there but these have worked for me.

Thanks man :smile:
I will go for the first machine shop I used to deal with.

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW Scirocco
The machine shop should be able to set final block bore. They'll measure the piston and bore the block slightly over. I'd email Mahle to get their piston to wall spec for your pistons. I set my clearance at .004". As for break in, use non-synthetic oil (cheap stuff)

The first machine shop I used to deal with is the one who did all our cars few years ago.
I think I will stick to Mahle recommendation which is .001
I used to use the non-synthetic oil in the first engine start up then change it after 1000KM, but I heard that there is a special oil used in the first startup (after putting all the parts together) better than that and I don't know it. :iono:

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW Scirocco

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW Scirocco
Pistons arrived...

Most probably I will start the boring and cylinder head installation this week. I will get the short block first in the workshop then will start.

All advices are welcome.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Very pretty, these are the same that I'll be going with.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Soon, I hope. My mechanic is leaving his shop and he's the only one I trust with the build, so there is some waiting and such for logistics, timing, etc. Since it's going to be pretty pricey, the extra time allows me to set aside more money for the build. My build will be very similar to yours, but without the INA crap.