GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LED tails condensation

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
Has anyone had condensation in their OEM LED tail lights? I get it on the innner tails pretty often, but every now and then Ill notice it on the outer tails, which scares me a bit.

Any fixes? I cant really tell where the moisture could be getting in at....

hmm. do you think it could be getting moisture from the connector? or maybe after a rain storm, theres a perfect little spot for water to pool up and maybe magically seep through the plastic?

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
hmm. do you think it could be getting moisture from the connector? or maybe after a rain storm, theres a perfect little spot for water to pool up and maybe magically seep through the plastic?

There isnt really a flat spot behind the tail lights for water to pool, but I'll check the connectors, maybe that foam seal isn't sealing properly...

i would take them off, stick one of those silicone packs in there, then reseal them.

Do you mean take the whole housing apart?

xola3que

euroturd
I switched up my tail lamps a few times and now I'm running OEM LEDs too. One thing I noticed when installed, make sure you press the tail lamps in FIRMLY to get the seal foams on the back to kiss up to the body. People usually just put the nuts in and ratchet it down real tight but that's not enough. You need to get that foam properly sealed up or water will sit on top of the foam and waiting to sip in.

Last edited:

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
just calk the outer edges with clear silicone after they dry up of course

I was wondering if moisture could find its way in though that seam, I might have to try to duck tape before I caulk them up. Good idea though...

I switched up my tail lamps a few times and now I'm running OEM LEDs too. One thing I noticed when installed, make sure you unilaterally press the tail lamps in FIRMLY to get the seal foams on the back to kiss up to the body. People usually just put the nuts in and ratchet it down real tight but that's not enough. You need to get that foam properly sealed up or water will sit on top of the foam and waiting to sip in.

Im one of those who just tightened it down with those nuts. Thanks for the idea :thumbsup:

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Mine do it too. I've never paid too much attention to it

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
My VW oe euro market Valeo LED tails have never done this.
Had them on for over 3 years and over 120,000 miles.
Driven in all kinds of conditions from Toronto, ON Canada in January to Miami, FL in August,
countless rain and snow storms, car washes, etc.

I am wondering if over tightening the two nuts that hold them in place might be an issue?
When I installed mine I was surprised by how low the torque value was on those nuts,
but I used a torque wrench and only tightened to that value.
I was concerned they might come loose with such a low tightening value,
but that has not happened so far.

I am traveling now, so I don't have access to the Bentley manual to confirm,
but I seem to recall it worked out to something really low, like 8 ft/lbs,
but my memory may be playing tricks on me at the moment,
I did that research four years ago.

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
Mine do that too.........On just one of them

Mine do it too. I've never paid too much attention to it

Maybe we all have the same issue?

My VW oe euro market Valeo LED tails have never done this.
Had them on for over 3 years and over 120,000 miles.
Driven in all kinds of conditions from Toronto, ON Canada in January to Miami, FL in August,
countless rain and snow storms, car washes, etc.

I am wondering if over tightening the two nuts that hold them in place might be an issue?
When I installed mine I was surprised by how low the torque value was on those nuts,
but I used a torque wrench and only tightened to that value.
I was concerned they might come loose with such a low tightening value,
but that has not happened so far.

I am traveling now, so I don't have access to the Bentley manual to confirm,
but I seem to recall it worked out to something really low, like 8 ft/lbs,
but my memory may be playing tricks on me at the moment,
I did that research four years ago.

I'll look in my Bentley to see what the spec is. I never thought to torque them, but maybe by over tightening them it distorted the seal somehow.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
...I'll look in my Bentley to see what the spec is. I never thought to torque them, but maybe by over tightening them it distorted the seal somehow.
If that is the case the damage may laready be done :yikes:

Callsign_Jester

traction is for pussies
Check the hatch for where the wire loom enters the body of the car, there is a large rubber grommet that can pull itself out and allow water in. This caused mine to build condensation.

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
If that is the case the damage may laready be done :yikes:

Luckily if that is the case, I can take the seals from my stock tails and swap them.

Check the hatch for where the wire loom enters the body of the car, there is a large rubber grommet that can pull itself out and allow water in. This caused mine to build condensation.

Ill add this to the list. Im going to try and sort this out today...

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
Car(s)
MQB A3
Luckily if that is the case, I can take the seals from my stock tails and swap them.

Ill add this to the list. Im going to try and sort this out today...

I've had the same issues with mine (granted I'm Jetta)

I returned mine and sealed the new set immediately with clear silicon. Haven't had a problem since.