GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just ordered a Mk V R32...

vDubr

myfastismycopilot
Car(s)
2008 Audi TT
But I'm having second thoughts because I'm afraid I might miss my torquier, more powerful and lighter GTI :frown:

The pros are obvious: 4 Motion AWD, 1 of 5000 made, exclusive Deep Blue Pearl color, an exhaust note to die for, the .:R badge, etc. etc. But there are a few things that disappoint me, such as the fact that the interior is nearly identical to the GTI, with the exception of some trim pieces. The numbers aren't too impressive either. Only 10 more horsepower than its predecessor, but it's heavier :thumbdown: To top it all off, it's nose heavy. So despite the Haldex AWD system, I might find the same understeer in the R32 that I have in my GTI.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: I have APR Stage 2, in case you're wondering why I said "torquier, more powerful and lighter GTI"

Last edited:

sim542

Ready to race!
^lol... dude believe me thats something you will NOT regret... Im even confused and hurt that you're having second thoughts on such a nice car :cry: :wink:

vDubr

myfastismycopilot
Car(s)
2008 Audi TT
That might be the quickest buyer's remorse I have ever seen lol

lol yeah. Well, it's a refundable deposit, so I'm not feeling remorseful just yet :redface: I'm really on the fence but I am leaning more toward the R32. Ever since I drove my buddy's Mk IV R32, I've always wanted one. Even now, I'd love to own a Mk IV R32. Then again, I also love my GTI. So I figure, the Mk V R32 is a perfect solution for me.

The only thing that's keeping me on the fence is the performance aspect of it. The Mk V R32 performs just about the same as the Mk IV R32. Now, I haven't [enthusiastically] driven one since 2004. So, in 2007, will it still seem quick? And after driving my APR S2 GTI, will it still seem quick?

Unfortunately, when the R32 gets here, I won't be able to drive it, so I need to make an informed decision. So, I'm hoping someone who has driven both or someone with some insight can chime in.

bsosa69

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 GTI
But I'm having second thoughts because I'm afraid I might miss my torquier, more powerful and lighter GTI :frown:

R32 should be faster? or are you comparing to a chipped GTI? wouldn't it at least be the same even if the power delivery feels different? And even if its heavier, by how much? Can't be too much more, right?

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
why do so many of you drool over the fact the r32 is 4 wheel drive? its great in snow and putting power down on the road and thats it and anybody will tell you a rear wheel drive car will spank a 4wd car on a track any day of the week.

vDubr

myfastismycopilot
Car(s)
2008 Audi TT
R32 should be faster? or are you comparing to a chipped GTI? wouldn't it at least be the same even if the power delivery feels different? And even if its heavier, by how much? Can't be too much more, right?

Compared to an APR S2 GTI. It's about 200 lbs. heavier than the GTI.

07mkvgti

Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
06 GTi
why do so many of you drool over the fact the r32 is 4 wheel drive? its great in snow and putting power down on the road and thats it and anybody will tell you a rear wheel drive car will spank a 4wd car on a track any day of the week.

ummm not anyday