GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just ordered a Mk V R32...

gtiTom

The Average Asian
Car(s)
VW MK5 GTI
I don't know Czech, the AWD platform could be big to others...
It wasn't much to me at the time until I actually used what AWD was made for (1.8T Quattro 00 Audi) in a near death incident.

Incitatus

I had an R32 for a week while the Tracker in my GTI was being sorted out. I don't think you'd regret it for a moment, although there's not such a big difference between the two. The noise it makes was a BIG part of it for me though.

I know the specs are different compared to the UK but the DSG one I had most certainly had launch control. It works better than in the GTI because instead of your front tyres going up in a cloud of expensive blue smoke, there's just a bit of a scrabble from the front before the power is shuffled to the rear and then you just, put simply, leave....:biggrin:

vDubr

myfastismycopilot
Car(s)
2008 Audi TT
I had an R32 for a week while the Tracker in my GTI was being sorted out. I don't think you'd regret it for a moment, although there's not such a big difference between the two. The noise it makes was a BIG part of it for me though.

I know the specs are different compared to the UK but the DSG one I had most certainly had launch control. It works better than in the GTI because instead of your front tyres going up in a cloud of expensive blue smoke, there's just a bit of a scrabble from the front before the power is shuffled to the rear and then you just, put simply, leave....:biggrin:

That's what I wanted to hear :biggrin:

But, if there's no LC, I'm sticking with the GTI. VW is smoking something if they decide not to put LC in the R32. Can anyone confirm this?

Gtiguy182

Clean MKV Owner
ill buy ur votex kit AND send u my stock textured lip kit

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I've driven both (R32 was manual though, not DSG).
R32 will take off like a rocket; it's a great car. Little details like the Deep blue pearl brake calipers are nice, though you may wanna change the wheels to something a bit lighter.
However, I found that the GTI is more nimble and pleasurable to drive. Doesn't have that heavy V6 up front and all that Haldex clutching gear, and to be honest, unless it's really heavy snow you don't need the 4WD - the front wheel drive copes just fine.
If I were you, I'd stick with your most excellent white GTI :p
(plus, don't know if this counts for anything with you - GTI badge has five generations of heritage behind it. Carries weight. R32... doesn't carry the same weight in my book.)

newtogolf

u say that tho, but the R32 could be the beginning of something historical.

but i guess the R32 is just not enough better than a GTI.

07mkvgti

Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
06 GTi
yea the R32 is a great car and all, but the only car i'd trade it in for from VW is the 25th anniversary(Edition30) if it makes it to the states, which i'm looking forward to.

clutch fool

OG MUFF DIVER
Car(s)
MK5 GTI 1st Owner
The R32 is a sick car! If you got the $$ dont think twice. AWD is the shit and that blue is great. Q- Would the r32 beat my revo stage 1 gti? Either way its a great car. The only thing that sucks is you have to get DSG in the US and I love mauel vw's. If you really want, you can trade me for the chipped GTI if you dont like it!

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
Car(s)
2010 4dr UG TDI HL
if you don't like it i'll trade you my GTI ;)

UK_CWGTi

Sweet As Candy
Car(s)
Golf GTi
if your gti is as quick as an R32 then i would keep the GTi imo, if you like the exhaust sound of the R32 then you can just have it fitted and tuned onto your GTi like 1 of my mates have done, he got the real R32 zorst system and had it customly fitted and the sound is exact the same as a real one, no difference at all

KelvinC

I love the MKIV R32, and if the sound of the MKV is anything close, that should be worth the price alone IMO. If you have the means, and obviously you do, I don't think it should be anything you will regret the moment you drive it home. The fact that it's more sure-footed, better looking (IMO), and more exclusive...I think it's pretty cool.

I'm holding onto my GTI for now until the Scirocco comes out (if it does at all). But if the R was available earlier I def. would have picked it up.

cmdrfire

if your gti is as quick as an R32 then i would keep the GTi imo, if you like the exhaust sound of the R32 then you can just have it fitted and tuned onto your GTi like 1 of my mates have done, he got the real R32 zorst system and had it customly fitted and the sound is exact the same as a real one, no difference at all

How can an inline-4 turbo sound anything like a narrow V6, regardless of exhaust fitted?
I'm sorry, but fitting the R32 exhaust will not give you a V6 sound... and tbh, I'm not sure what gains you'd get fitting one OEM exhaust over another OEM exhaust. I'd spend the money on a custom Miltek or Eurojet.